• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka t3 w/ trg trigger

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
Getting a tikka t3 and want to put a trg trigger in it. Is it as easy as taking the trigger out of the trigger guard of the trg and screw it into the bottom of a tikka? Any problems with the bottom safety?

Thanks

Re: Tikka t3 w/ trg trigger

I know it will bolt on, but I'm not sure it will fit the tikka stock. I did look into putting a 42 trigger on a trg-s and would have had to change the stock and bm to a 42 stock and hardware to make it work.

So I pulled a trigger out of one of my trgs and it bolted right in to a borrowed tikka but the safety will not work with factory bottom "metal. " The loop for the triggerguard hooks right in where the bottom safety would be. As for the cdi dbm or the Krg stock working I don't know and will have to inquire. On my drive home it dawned on me that if the triggers are interchangeable then maybe the safeties are as well but I will have to look later. In my head it should work if i put the top safety into a trg trigger but lots of ideas work in my head fail.

I'm thinking the TRG safety is peened into place but that may not be right.

Anyhow, it will work in our Whiskey-3 Chassis for sure, Hellbender on here has done it and posted a write-up, and we currently have a TRG trigger on a T3 we're testing for a new product. You may have to play with the mag catch height a bit though. The trigger position is a little further forward as compared to a TRG, but it is adjustable fortunately.
Justin

It would be a lot of work with anything other than a Whiskey-3 chassis.

Lots of inletting and getting the mag set right would be a chore on any other stock.

The stock Tikka trigger is excellent, not worth the $$$ and hassle to change to a TRG, except that the Whiskey chassis is a near bolt-on as the magwell opening is perfect.

The safety is not an issue either way you go, nothing to do except 1 screw to bolt the trigger group on, the safety is made into it.

$426 for a F'N trigger?
LOL!!!
OK, so I'm gonna pay 1400 for a T3 Tac, $1000 for a Whiskey stock, $400+ for a trigger and have a hot rod T3 when I could spend a couple hundred more and get a TRG22.

I have both (a TRG 21 and a T3 Tactical, .308...) The Tikka's trigger don't seems to me so bad...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$426 for a F'N trigger?
</div></div>

The only trigger in the same league as the TRG (Anschutz 5018) costs about 350, so it might not be that much of a stretch. However, even I believe the cost for TRG parts and accessories (especially mags) is excessive.

Josh

I have shot both the TRG and T3. The T3 is an excellent factory trigger. I would not throw $400 at the trigger on a T3, unless I already had a TRG and was trying to make the Tikka replicate my TRG.

Try the T3 trigger out before you drop the coin to replace and already great trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot both the TRG and T3. The T3 is an excellent factory trigger. I would not throw $400 at the trigger on a T3, unless I already had a TRG and was trying to make the Tikka replicate my TRG.

Try the T3 trigger out before you drop the coin to replace and already great trigger. </div></div>

+1
I was trying to say that the TRG trigger is not $426 better than the T3 trigger. My T3 Tac trigger is plenty good enough.
Now, had I not gotten CDI DBM installed before I found it, I would most definitely say the W3 chassis would be worth the $$.

The plan is making a trg in 223. I already have 2 trg 22 and would like this t3 in 223 to be as close as possible. trigger, bolt knob, once I feel a W3 chassis and if I like it I will try one.