• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x CTR Mag Problem - and not the usual one.

fxdrider

Deplorable
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2014
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Picked up my brand new Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. I like it and I'm hoping it will be as great a shooter as my T3 Hunter in .308 Win.

That said...I've encountered a problem that I haven't seen before in a rifle and I'm hoping someone who has seen this before might chime in, hopefully with a fix.
    When feeding rounds from the magazine into the chamber, the rearward motion of the bolt seems to be dragging the top round rearward and the cartridge winds up slightly nose-up and base-down. When pushing the bolt forward, instead of the bolt face catching the rear of the top round and pushing it forward into the chamber, it rides right over the top of the round and nothing gets chambered. Usually, if I run the bolt a second time it will work - but not always. It does this about every other round. BTW, the magazine seems to be seated solidly, not exhibiting the other issue some CTR mags have had - mag falling out.
    It almost seems like the spring is a bit on the weak side, but in addition to this, I noticed that on the last round the front of the follower actually can come up out of the magazine rather easily. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? I've been reading several posts in the Tikka T3 thread about how reliable the CTR mags are, so I was a bit shocked at this.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

20180318_TikkaT3xCTR_6-5Cr_MagProb-001.JPG 20180318_TikkaT3xCTR_6-5Cr_MagProb-003.JPG 20180318_TikkaT3xCTR_6-5Cr_MagProb-004.JPG 20180318_TikkaT3xCTR_6-5Cr_MagProb-005.JPG

Reactions: Billiam1211
    I have two mags like that one and an original CTR mag. I have never seen that happen. I wonder if the follower is under sized or if the feed lips need to be bent together a little. The only thing I have done to my mags is take a slotted screwdriver to the mag catch slot on them and bend it out a little.

Reactions: stephen r
    I've got 6 of these, and I've never seen that happen. Best guess is that the spring is in backwards. CTR/TRG mags use a flat spring instead of a coil like most others. I'm pretty convinced that's part of why they're so reliable. That being said, if it was attached to the follower backward, I could see that potentially causing this problem. If you fish the follower/spring out of the mag body it'll tell you pretty quick. If put in properly, the first bend in the spring should be at the back of the follower.

I've got 6 of these, and I've never seen that happen. Best guess is that the spring is in backwards. CTR/TRG mags use a flat spring instead of a coil like most others. I'm pretty convinced that's part of why they're so reliable. That being said, if it was attached to the follower backward, I could see that potentially causing this problem. If you fish the follower/spring out of the mag body it'll tell you pretty quick. If put in properly, the first bend in the spring should be at the back of the follower.
    Start with this. The flat spring might need some tweaking but it’s easily done and you’ll get it sorted.

Last edited:
    I wonder if the follower is under sized or if the feed lips need to be bent together a little.

Not sure. When the bolt face DOES catch the next round, it feeds nice and smooth. So maybe, maybe not.

If you fish the follower/spring out of the mag body it'll tell you pretty quick. If put in properly, the first bend in the spring should be at the back of the follower.

I tried this already, and it looks like it's in correctly - first bend at the back of the follower.

I have a feeling I'll be calling Beretta tech support tomorrow.

Super pumped someone else is having this issue...because my recently purchased CTR has the exact same magazine issue.

Let me know what Beretta says. I haven't had a chance to call, but its on my to-do list. Hoping they will just send another mag to try out.

Looks like the follower is sticking in the rear of the magazine.

How might one go about doing that? If you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it.
    Are you familiar with TRG mag?

Slide the follower out the front. You should be able to get it off the spring.

The way the follower is pointed up at the front in your pic is how it comes out.

Then you will be able to remove flat spring which is the heart of the mag. It will need to bent to allow it to apply more pressure on the back of the follower. Refit and cycle test till you have achieved the correct feeding. It may take a few attempts as it must be a specific way (obviously) to function correctly.

Let me know if you are following. Hope that helps.

I follow.

With more pressure needed on the back, I assume that I'll need to bend the front down, giving the rear some "up" and increase the pressure?

Are you familiar with TRG mag?

Slide the follower out the front. You should be able to get it off the spring.

The way the follower is pointed up at the front in your pic is how it comes out.

Then you will be able to remove flat spring which is the heart of the mag. It will need to bent to allow it to apply more pressure on the back of the follower. Refit and cycle test till you have achieved the correct feeding. It may take a few attempts as it must be a specific way (obviously) to function correctly.

Let me know if you are following. Hope that helps.

Yes, this worked! I made several attempts, but finally wound up bending the top leaf forward and compressing it as much as possible, and bending the middle section up at the rear - opening it quite wide. Eventually, I got it to work.

I'm still going to call Beretta and bitch. We need to register complaints with them or they won't know customers are dissatisfied. Apparently this condition is a bit on the rare side, but it does exist, and Tikka needs to address it.

Thanks so much for all the responses and suggestions. Y'all are the best!

Yes, this worked! I made several attempts, but finally wound up bending the top leaf forward and compressing it as much as possible, and bending the middle section up at the rear - opening it quite wide. Eventually, I got it to work.

I'm still going to call Beretta and bitch. We need to register complaints with them or they won't know customers are dissatisfied. Apparently this condition is a bit on the rare side, but it does exist, and Tikka needs to address it.

Thanks so much for all the responses and suggestions. Y'all are the best!
    Glad you got it sorted.

Last edited:
    im having this same issue with both of my new CTR mags. Picked up my TAC A1 today and was a little disappointed. Aside from the mags the rifle is absolutely incredible

im having this same issue with both of my new CTR mags. Picked up my TAC A1 today and was a little disappointed. Aside from the mags the rifle is absolutely incredible

Try the suggestions. You won’t be disappointed when you get it running correctly.

I tried this and it helped a bit but still not at 100%. Does this look like the correct bends?

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
      IMG_1456.jpg
      511.2 KB · Views: 305
    Gave that a shot. Seems to be doing a lot better now but still had one hiccup. Ill give it a try on the range Saturday.

Some guy on youtube claims the MDT AICS mags work in the rifle?

I know the rifle manager for Beretta. They are now tracking the problem after I won a TAC A1 at Steel City Precision and then couldn't use it in a match the following weekend because my mags wouldn't feed. Once I figured out how to fix it I gave him a shout. The next day he was on the phone with engineering department because they don't get much field feedback.

The spring needs more pressure on the follower so I stretched and bent them forward to get it right. Also, if you take a flat tip screwdriver into the cutout for the mag catch and create a lip it will lift the mag, reducing wiggle and improving feeding.

I know the rifle manager for Beretta. They are now tracking the problem after I won a TAC A1 at Steel City Precision and then couldn't use it in a match the following weekend because my mags wouldn't feed. Once I figured out how to fix it I gave him a shout. The next day he was on the phone with engineering department because they don't get much field feedback.

The spring needs more pressure on the follower so I stretched and bent them forward to get it right. Also, if you take a flat tip screwdriver into the cutout for the mag catch and create a lip it will lift the mag, reducing wiggle and improving feeding.

Is this just on newer CTR mags or just a recent batch? Seems like plenty of people love these... just seems like for a $100 magazine this shouldn't be something that we need to fix at home

Reactions: fxdrider
    Is this just on newer CTR mags or just a recent batch? Seems like plenty of people love these... just seems like for a $100 magazine this shouldn't be something that we need to fix at home

Truth right there. Was just thinking the same thing. I just bought a spare from Euro-optics and it does the same thing.

I won the gun about a month ago so I couldn't tell you if it's a new or persisting problem. All I can tell you is that the dude in charge of the rifle program knows now and has brought it to the attention of the engineers. The mags are no more expensive than AI mags; not $100. That said, I'd like them GTG out of the bag. I've got 7 and have only used 3 but I expect I'll have to spend 5 min making them right.

I am having the same issue. The rifle is headed back to Beretta for a separate issue but I noted this problem as well. I'll report back what comes from it.

Has anyone heard from Tikka/Beretta on this issue? I had the same problem with the mag on my new CTR.

We own five Beretta/Sako/Tikka firearms. Recently, l’ve been looking at buying three Tikka T3x CTR’s in 6.5 Creedmoor for my sons and I. I thought they would be great for us and we’ll as my grandkids as they get more into hunting and shooting. I couldn’t find one to even look at in WI. I was told I needed to order and buy one to see it.
    I’m vacationing in AZ and finally found a couple at Sportmans Warehouse.
    I loved the gun, short barrel (20”), stainless, didn’t mind the stock. The issue was the loose and noisy mag!! I looked at several and they all had the same problem.
    I asked the clerk if he knew anything about, whether it tightened with rounds in the mag. He didn’t know. I now see it’s not a fluke.
    I emailed Beretta twice. No response.
    The gun receives awesome performance reviews. I just can’t understand why they would build a hunting rifle that has a loose and noisy mag. It can’t be that big a fix for Tikka, can it? Any help to bring me back from the edge?

We own five Beretta/Sako/Tikka firearms. Recently, l’ve been looking at buying three Tikka T3x CTR’s in 6.5 Creedmoor for my sons and I. I thought they would be great for us and we’ll as my grandkids as they get more into hunting and shooting. I couldn’t find one to even look at in WI. I was told I needed to order and buy one to see it.
    I’m vacationing in AZ and finally found a couple at Sportmans Warehouse.
    I loved the gun, short barrel (20”), stainless, didn’t mind the stock. The issue was the loose and noisy mag!! I looked at several and they all had the same problem.
    I asked the clerk if he knew anything about, whether it tightened with rounds in the mag. He didn’t know. I now see it’s not a fluke.
    I emailed Beretta twice. No response.
    The gun receives awesome performance reviews. I just can’t understand why they would build a hunting rifle that has a loose and noisy mag. It can’t be that big a fix for Tikka, can it? Any help to bring me back from the edge?
    I had the same problem as the OP with my CTR mag. Bent the follower back into the correct form and never had the problem again. I've got around 1,000 rounds through mine now (6.5 CM).

The mag does tighten up with rounds in it.

CTR is an awesome gun - it is in no way inadequate for you or the grandkids hunting in Wisconsin.

I had the same problem as the OP with my CTR mag. Bent the follower back into the correct form and never had the problem again. I've got around 1,000 rounds through mine now (6.5 CM).

Same here. After bending the spring it's been great. Feeds like it should. I don't have anywhere near 1000 rounds through it yet, but hope to by summer.

CTR is an awesome gun - it is in no way inadequate for you or the grandkids hunting in Wisconsin.

Completely agree.

Same here. After bending the spring it's been great. Feeds like it should. I don't have anywhere near 1000 rounds through it yet, but hope to by summer.

Completely agree.
    Thanks for the responses. I’ll be back in WI the first week in April. I think I’ll be ordering three of them.

Great thread.. Definitely saved me. I've been running a Tac A1 and have 1,500 rounds down the tube. Just recently, the last 2 matches I've been in I started running into magazine issues - exactly as shown here. Nose of the bullet goes up and you can't feed the round. It's definitely cost me.

I tried the spring bending fix and loaded up all 3 of my CTR mags with 10 rounds and fed them through a couple of times. All went through without issue. I hope this solves the issue... If not, I may just drop the action in another chassis so I can use AI mags.

Reactions: fxdrider
    Does anyone actually sell a mag spring for the Tikka CTR?
    Or are they considered a disposable item for $100

Never seen a replacement spring, but the issue still exists, my tic Tac in 6.5 creedmoor and my mates in 308, both bought in Feb7this year hadthe issue but, with the help of this thread - resolved in minutes only a couple of 100’s down range currently

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
    On mine, I had the issue a couple of times, thought I’d short stroked it, anyway did a bit of online searching found a site somewhere (not here) and the advice was identica, done my ctr ant tack a1 (never had the issue, but it only cost me 10 minutes to resolve) never a problem since