• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X CTR vx Remington 700 5R Gen 2

I've read that quite a few times about their trigger. But for $10 I think I'll throw the spring in there. Gonna go with a KRG Bravo, they fit me too well not to. I've got two of them already. It's gonna be the Tikka CTR, 6.5CM (which I've already got a ton of equipment for), KRG Bravo, Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14 x 50 scope and an APA Chode brake.

Tikka. No comparison. 100x better action and trigger. You can buy a 10 dollar trigger spring and take it under 1 pound. Never had a Tikka/Sako product that wasn’t a shooter

Attachments

• 73C5EE50-A6C2-4353-ACAA-7B4A79E5ABEC.jpeg
    73C5EE50-A6C2-4353-ACAA-7B4A79E5ABEC.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 47
Thats a really good deal on that rifle. For that plus a new barrel and stock it would probably put me at about $1200 or so. Say $200 of that back from selling the parts that I took off. Wouldn't be a bad deal. But it would be a lot of extra steps. Hmmmm, stuff to think about. Pretty much set on a Tikka at this point though, so thats a good thing.
I wouldn't bother taking the barrel off of that T3X, by the time you buy a new barrel and have it chambered you'd be at or over what you can have a new CTR for, and the CTR barrel is no slouch. That is a killer deal though for a light hunting rifle, I just bought one for 469. Will use it for a suppressed 18" 6.5 CM I've been thinking about putting together.

Ok, I'm setting up a compact rifle for target shooting, some hunting, and a trainer rifle for my youngest son that he will eventually use for hunting as well. I'm looking at the Tikka T3X CTR with a 20" barrel in .308 and the Remington 700 5R Gen 2 with a 20" barrel in .308. I've never handled a Tikka at all, but I've read great things about them, minus the factory stock. I've owned numerous Remingtons and barring their factory trigger they've been solid. I've read really great things about their Gen 2 5R rifles but have not shot one of them nor cycled the action on one. Anybody out there own both of them or have some further insight on either or both of them? I'm really not digging the super expensive magazines for the Tikka. If I get the Tikka I'll probably ditch the factory stock and put it in a KRG Bravo so I can use AICS mags, of which I've got plenty already. I think for a trainer rifle I'd prefer an internal magazine initially until he's competent enough to move up to a detachable mag. Thanks for any input!
Ok, I'm setting up a compact rifle for target shooting, some hunting, and a trainer rifle for my youngest son that he will eventually use for hunting as well. I'm looking at the Tikka T3X CTR with a 20" barrel in .308 and the Remington 700 5R Gen 2 with a 20" barrel in .308. I've never handled a Tikka at all, but I've read great things about them, minus the factory stock. I've owned numerous Remingtons and barring their factory trigger they've been solid. I've read really great things about their Gen 2 5R rifles but have not shot one of them nor cycled the action on one. Anybody out there own both of them or have some further insight on either or both of them? I'm really not digging the super expensive magazines for the Tikka. If I get the Tikka I'll probably ditch the factory stock and put it in a KRG Bravo so I can use AICS mags, of which I've got plenty already. I think for a trainer rifle I'd prefer an internal magazine initially until he's competent enough to move up to a detachable mag. Thanks for any input!
Hello I just bought a gen2. 6.5 cm, 24 inch barrel. Had cheap Czech ammo for break-in as I could get what I needed for brass. During Bi, Took 3 shots 100, bore sight. Next, hit gongs @ 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7. I am not done with bi yet but I think it is close to how the barrel is cleaning up. It appears that it's going to be a shooter. This rifle is a little heavy but if your boy is going to hunt a blind it will work. It seems to be balanced well for walking. The weight tames the recoil. The barrel is threaded for a break if necessary. I am not impressed with mag length for 6.5 cm. Feed seems marginal. May need some polishing.

Reactions: TheChief
Get the Tikka T3X CTR. I have it in 6.5 Creed with the 20". It is amazing how smooth the action is and how the soft recoil. When I shot my first deer it felt like 22LR. I also shoot with a suppressor. As for the mags they are pricey but Euro optics has the best price usually. Add in working up your own reloads, enough said!

Tikka has quite a bit of aftermarket support now days. The factory trigger is fantastic and if you want an alternative the Timney T3 is fantastic. Actions are buttery smooth. Slow barrel velocity wont be an issue because accuracy is phenomenal with factory Tikka rifles. My 24 inch 6.5 CM was getting 2740 fps w/ hand loads which is pretty standard.

If I were to go Remington 700, I'd probably recommend picking up a trued up action from Northland Shooter Supply and just building it from scratch.

No first hand experience with the Tikkas, but I've been happy with my 5R Gen2. It shoots better than I do. If only Triggertech would release the damn 2 stage trigger I've been waiting over a year for!

20190307_092158~2.jpg

Hello I just bought a gen2. 6.5 cm, 24 inch barrel. Had cheap Czech ammo for break-in as I could get what I needed for brass. During Bi, Took 3 shots 100, bore sight. Next, hit gongs @ 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7. I am not done with bi yet but I think it is close to how the barrel is cleaning up. It appears that it's going to be a shooter. This rifle is a little heavy but if your boy is going to hunt a blind it will work. It seems to be balanced well for walking. The weight tames the recoil. The barrel is threaded for a break if necessary. I am not impressed with mag length for 6.5 cm. Feed seems marginal. May need some polishing.
Yeah I'm going to get a CTR but it'll immediately be mounted on a KRG Bravo and fed AI mags. I've got plenty of those and they run the 6.5CM very well, with room to spare if I want to load them a bit long. I'm still up in the air on what scope I'm going to put on it. I think I'm gonna take a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 off of my Seekins 6.5 and put it on the CTR, and then put a MK5HD 3.6-18 on the Seekins and call it a day. It'll be a fine pair of rifles for my boy and I to hunt with, and I like the idea of carrying one type of ammo on a hunt. We're going to start off with using the Federal 130 Bergers for deer and 95gr VMAX for smaller critters and will probably reload if I feel its necessary. Based on the accuracy I get out of my Seekins with the Berger 130's though I'm not sure I could improve on that.

Reactions: Overkillphil
No first hand experience with the Tikkas, but I've been happy with my 5R Gen2. It shoots better than I do. If only Triggertech would release the damn 2 stage trigger I've been waiting over a year for!

View attachment 7225749
Nice setup! I've got Savage custom in a KRG 180 Alpha. I really like their chassis'. Wish they sold a 5R Gen 2 with a 20" barrel in 6.5. That might tempt me. I've already got a 24" 6.5 Seekins Havak Bravo so that size is pretty well covered.

Yeah I'm going to get a CTR but it'll immediately be mounted on a KRG Bravo and fed AI mags. I've got plenty of those and they run the 6.5CM very well, with room to spare if I want to load them a bit long. I'm still up in the air on what scope I'm going to put on it. I think I'm gonna take a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 off of my Seekins 6.5 and put it on the CTR, and then put a MK5HD 3.6-18 on the Seekins and call it a day. It'll be a fine pair of rifles for my boy and I to hunt with, and I like the idea of carrying one type of ammo on a hunt. We're going to start off with using the Federal 130 Bergers for deer and 95gr VMAX for smaller critters and will probably reload if I feel its necessary. Based on the accuracy I get out of my Seekins with the Berger 130's though I'm not sure I could improve on that.
Havent seen you mention which ai mags you have but wanted to let you know that the magpul ai mags don't play nice with Tikkas. They can be made to work but not really worth it.

Also on removing the rail a clothes iron works for heating up the rail.

I've got six Accurate Mags and a handful of the Magpul ones. I've been reading up on the Tikka CTR mags though and everyone gives them absolute rave reviews so I think I'll stick with those since KRG also offers a bravo for the CTR mags. A clothes iron is a good idea, heat guns can put out a serious amount of heat. Probably more than is needed honestly. Now the question of a blued rifle vs a stainless one. Hmmmmmmmm.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Also on removing the rail a clothes iron works for heating up the rail.

One of the pic rail bolts is a jack bolt. It comes from Tikka like that (at least it did on my CTR). Loosen all of the rail bolts, the gently turn the jack bolt in it lift the rail. You might need a bit of help with a plastic or nylon wedge, but mine came off pretty easy. I did red loctite the rail when I reinstalled it.

I just ordered the rifle, scope, swept back ball bolt handle, trigger spring, and a KRG Bravo in black for it. I've decided to keep the factory rail on it considering that this will be a 700 yard an in rifle, and the scope I ordered for it has a massive amount of vertical travel in it. I went with a MK5HD 3.6-18 x 44. Should be suitable for such a compact rifle.

Reactions: Two Putt
Yeah, I'm very excited. Has anyone found it beneficial at all to change out the bolt shroud? It seems entirely cosmetic to me. I ordered a heavy duty recoil lug, new swept back ball AI style bolt handle, and a trigger spring for it.

Yeah, I'm very excited. Has anyone found it beneficial at all to change out the bolt shroud? It seems entirely cosmetic to me. I ordered a heavy duty recoil lug, new swept back ball AI style bolt handle, and a trigger spring for it.

The stock bolt shroud shrouds the bolt just fine. The stock recoil lug is just fine as well.

-Stooxie

Ok, well the new one shipped already so I guess I'll make due with it ha ha. I'm not gonna change the shroud out. I'm glad the new ones are metal and not plastic like the older ones.

Reactions: Stooxie
Ok, well the new one shipped already so I guess I'll make due with it ha ha. I'm not gonna change the shroud out. I'm glad the new ones are metal and not plastic like the older ones.

The only ones I have replaced were plastic.

I think you've got it covered. The trigger spring is the only must if you like a lighter trigger.

Another question here. The cheapest I've been able to find CTR mags are about $85. Is there any place that sells them for $60 or so? I've heard that you can find them that cheap but I sure as heck can't.

Check grabagun and gun.deals.

I've bought some from those listings. Just watch the shipping.

Keep going down the in stock list until you find one with reasonable shipping.

Yeah, the search I did yesterday must have been worded funny. I didn't see that one til today, after I'd ordered the AI KRG Bravo. Oh well, AI mags are one thing I'm not short on. Thanks!

Here's the nearly finished product. The last upgrade to it will be an Area 419 2 port Hellfire brake. Eventually I'll be putting a can on it but that's way down the road.
Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 scope. Leupold Mk4 rings. Mountain tactical 20MOA rail. Mountain tactical bolt shroud. Timney 2 stage trigger. KRG Bravo stock. Anarchy Outdoors swept back bolt handle and Titanium bolt knob. She's a fantastic shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    515.4 KB · Views: 77
I've got an APA CHODE that will go on the rifle for a brake, whichever one it ends up being. Those Tac A1's are nice. Action wise those are the same as the T3X's, just with the chassis on it, correct? Yeah. a little reduced velocity is easy enough to manage. Accuracy is everything. I like the Federal loaded Berger 130's. They shoot extremely well out of my Seekins 6.5 and with minimal recoil. I've got a pile of the 95 grain Federal varmint rounds too.
How do you like the seekins btw? Thanks.