• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x CTR

MR308W

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
Hi all,

I´m fairly new at shooting as a sport and now the point of getting my first larger caliber bolt action rifle. I only got a tikka T1x (.22 rimfire)at this moment.
I always loved the Tikka T3x Tac A1 but for some reason i grow away from that and changed my path to the T3x CTR. I looked at the Bergara range also but my weapons dealer doesn't sell them.
The plan is to put later on a new stock like the GGS Ranger :love:, GGS Predator or the GRS Bifrost and reuse the original stock for my T1x since it would be longer, this would give me a more personalized feeling.

Since i live in Belgium i was planning to take the .308 (did doubt and still now a little to go 6,5CM) for some reasons: the .308 ammo is cheaper to buy, more to find and longer barrel life (if iḿ correct). Also if i can get in the right range one day my max distance over here will be 600 meters. I hoping to shoot further distances later on but that would take me international and since the price tag that will only be a few times and definitely not weekly/monthly.

I looked for the 24¨ barrels or would it better to choose the 20¨, weight isn't a concern since it will be target shooting and no hunting?
Maybe any other things i forgot or any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Since you will be shooting 600 meters and in, it does not make sense to consider the 6.5. The 308 ammo availability and price are better for the so I think you'll be fine. You'll find that the 308 can get out to 600m just fine and maybe a bit further.

A 20 inch barrel will do for the shooting you'll be doing. However, the 24 inch will give you a bit more speed.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Reactions: MR308W
I have a Tikka CTR I put in a GRS hunter laminate. If I were going tikka 308, 20" is all you need. I think you gain much more in manuverability than you may lose in velocity.

Great rifle. Welcome to the hide.

Reactions: MR308W
If you don't' need to carry it around, then 24" it is!
Tikka's rock. Easily the best factory rifles under $2000.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
If your in Europe I'd really look at the tikka varmint 6.5 swede
Better ballistics, less recoil, in Europe 6.5 Swede is extremely popular and has been around forever.

You don't see it much in the US because it requires a medium action, which the Tikka is.
But then he would have to change his screen name..........LOL

If your in Europe I'd really look at the tikka varmint 6.5 swede
Better ballistics, less recoil, in Europe 6.5 Swede is extremely popular and has been around forever.

You don't see it much in the US because it requires a medium action, which the Tikka is.

One of the reason also not to choose the 6,5 cm at the moment is that the range with further distances over here don’t allow the Creedmoor, and these guns are in my opinion not made for shooting only 50m or 100m. I can use my rimfire for that, and it will be a lot cheaper also.

But i’m gonna do some research to the 6,5 swe.

One of the reason also not to choose the 6,5 cm at the moment is that the range with further distances over here don’t allow the Creedmoor, and these guns are in my opinion not made for shooting only 50m or 100m. I can use my rimfire for that, and it will be a lot cheaper also.

They don't allow the Creedmoor? That's strange. Have they said why?

Why wouldn't they allow 6.5 CM?
That is strange. It's carrying less energy than 308 up close.
Also, 6.5 Swede is more powerful and shoots farther than 6.5CM so if they don't allow the CM, I can't see why they'd allow the Swede.
I'm also curious as to what you mean by 6.5 isn't made for shooting 50m or 100m? It's made for it as much as the 308 is.

Why wouldn't they allow 6.5 CM?
That is strange. It's carrying less energy than 308 up close.
Also, 6.5 Swede is more powerful and shoots farther than 6.5CM so if they don't allow the CM, I can't see why they'd allow the Swede.
I'm also curious as to what you mean by 6.5 isn't made for shooting 50m or 100m? It's made for it as much as the 308 is.

I know they can handle short distances.

I mean like my .22 shoots easy 50 and 100m and for me personally buying a 6,5 CM and I only got to possibility to use it out to max 100m is a little bit to short of distance for what they are capable off and ammunition is also more expensive.

The 308 on the other hand is allowed on the longer distance, so if I can get in someday i can shoot out further and that is the purpose why I would buy these gun for.

I hope it’s a little bit clearer now what i mean.

Reactions: Bakwa
I’ve had a few CTR’s and around 8,300 rounds fired through them. The triggers are stupid easy to adjust and pretty damn good, the stock is decent and doesn’t need to be replaced, and all of them have shot 10 round, MOA groups at 100 yards. Customization is easy now and tossing the barreled action in a KRG is cheap and simple. What’s not to like?

Attachments

• 6BC4EF7B-DC04-4369-B5BD-AA1604B8880B.jpeg
    6BC4EF7B-DC04-4369-B5BD-AA1604B8880B.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 208
I’ve had a few CTR’s and around 8,300 rounds fired through them. The triggers are stupid easy to adjust and pretty damn good, the stock is decent and doesn’t need to be replaced, and all of them have shot 10 round, MOA groups at 100 yards. Customization is easy now and tossing the barreled action in a KRG is cheap and simple. What’s not to like?

That looks promising, i set my mind ons the GGS Ranger stock. Only the price is a little more but Rome isn’t build in a day either and starting out with the standard stock is just fine for me.

Reactions: Bakwa
Just contacted my dealer and barrel length ain’t choosable so that is one decision less.

The only things I can choose is a set trigger, adjustable stock and a stainless steel barrel.

So i think i gonna go with the standard configuration and maybe try to get my hands on the yodave trigger springs.

Just contacted my dealer and barrel length ain’t choosable so that is one decision less.

The only things I can choose is a set trigger, adjustable stock and a stainless steel barrel.

So i think i gonna go with the standard configuration and maybe try to get my hands on the yodave trigger springs.
Don’t start messing about with the trigger springs. The trigger is adjustable enough as it is, learn to shoot using it. If you decide to go for a lighter trigger pull somewhere down the line it’s an easy fix, but I don’t feel it’s something you should be starting with.

Also, adjustable comb is a treasure. If available, I’m choosing adjustable every single time.

Stainless is more cosmetics than function.

Don’t start messing about with the trigger springs. The trigger is adjustable enough as it is, learn to shoot using it. If you decide to go for a lighter trigger pull somewhere down the line it’s an easy fix, but I don’t feel it’s something you should be starting with.

Also, adjustable comb is a treasure. If available, I’m choosing adjustable every single time.

Stainless is more cosmetics than function.

I ordered the rifle 2 hours ago.

I’m starting out with the standard rifle and put it in a other stock/chassis that will have a adjustable cheeckpad/comb so the 180 euro saved on that i will use for to buy the other one i like.

About the trigger spring i start out as it is, my t1x is also still standard. Maybe gonne take it out and adjust them both to the the same trigger gauge when it arrives so they feel similar. If I feel the need later on I still can change it.

I didn’t choose the stainless beceause i don’t like the looks personally.

I have a Tikka CTR 308 with a bushnell 6500 2.5 × 16 × 50 . Ammo is Hornady Superformance 150 gr. SST and have shot groups of 2.25" at 500 yards (cool weather & no wind). It's an amazing rifle. My only regret is that I should have bought it in stainless for rainy/snowy weather.