• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x Lite ===> Proof Prefit in 6.5 PRC

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
Hi, advice appreciated on what caliber(s) T3x Lite i need to buy to be able to swap out the barrel to a Proof prefit in 6.5 PRC. What else needs adjusting or replacing (bolt, magazine, etc)? Thinking about dropping the new setup into a Mesa Precision Altitude barrel, they have a setup for tikka with proof prefits and hopefully keeping the tikka bottom metal etc. Input/thoughts are appreciated!

edit - i see tikka makes rifles in 6.5 prc, but not in LEFTY which i am...

Last edited:
Magnum bolt face so 300wm sized cases

so 6.5 prc rounds will work in a 300 win action, no problems, no need to switch or adjust bolt, extractor, mags, bottom metal, etc?
Sorry, I just skimmed your first post while my kids were being, uh, kids. I don’t have firsthand experience with this, just what I’ve read about. But… Tikka actions are the same size, the only difference is the length of the bolt stop(and bolt face diameter, obviously). If you can find a lefty magnum anything you should be able to rebarrel to 6.5 prc. If the actions and bolts are the same length and they only change the bolt stop I don’t imagine the extractor/bottom metal(magazines may be different), or other various small bits would be that specific. But if anyone has better firsthand knowledge of this, definitely listen to them

Tikka stocks for factory mags is the same. It’s the mags that change to accommodate the different sizes and not the action. So any tikka with a 300 mag bolt can be made to shoot a 6.5prc just fine.
(Not certain if that still applies to aftermarket aics mags and stocks, I doubt it as aics mags come in different actual lengths)
1627014342826.jpeg

And the bolt stop is what changes to keep it from going alllll the way back with a 223 when it’s not necessary.
1627014486826.png

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
I bought a T3X Lite stainless from a pawn shop in Sheridan WY for $350, screwed on a Proof prefit 6.5PRC barrel using a PVA action wrench, and it’s awesome. I kept the LA bolt stop and mags, it’s worked fine.

I bought a T3X Lite stainless from a pawn shop in Sheridan WY for $350, screwed on a Proof prefit 6.5PRC barrel using a PVA action wrench, and it’s awesome. I kept the LA bolt stop and mags, it’s worked fine.
thanks, sounds easy peasy!? what caliber was the tikka? what stock did you drop it into? thanks again.

Hi, advice appreciated on what caliber(s) T3x Lite i need to buy to be able to swap out the barrel to a Proof prefit in 6.5 PRC. What else needs adjusting or replacing (bolt, magazine, etc)? Thinking about dropping the new setup into a Mesa Precision Altitude barrel, they have a setup for tikka with proof prefits and hopefully keeping the tikka bottom metal etc. Input/thoughts are appreciated!

edit - i see tikka makes rifles in 6.5 prc, but not in LEFTY which i am...
Get one chambered in a long action magnum; 7 RM, 300 WM etc.
The wsm models have a really short magazine and the bolt stop would need replaced or modified.
I used a tikka that started off as a 7 RM for my 6.5 saum build, the factory magazine was a little tight but the prc isn't as fat so fit will be perfect.

You can use an action wrench for a model 700 just flip the removable piece over and it'll tighten up perfectly against the flat top of the tikka action.
I use a Brownell barrel vice and wrap a piece of paper drywall tape sprinkled with Rosin powder around the barrel where it gets clamped in the vice..
Getting the factory barrel removed is super easy using this method

thanks, sounds easy peasy!? what caliber was the tikka? what stock did you drop it into? thanks again.
300WM from the factory. I used an AG Alpine Hunter.
524BAD97-F48A-4BBA-9C48-9122E4C3EB9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2c1fr
300WM from the factory. I used an AG Alpine Hunter.
wow that looks nice! i'm not seeing tikka options for the alpine hunter, can you say what action and bottom metal inlet options you selected? are you using the "stock" tikka mags and bottom metal? thanks again.

and just to beat this to death, if i buy a tikka t3x lite in 300 win mag, no bolt or related adjustments or parts are needed to shoot 6.5 prc with the proof prefit? plug and play?

To post #11, yes. Should be that way. Is for countless others.

Also,
You can look at LRI as they are making some nice Tikka Bolts these days, though not sure about for you wrong handed shooters......

You could have a switch barrel demon and really have a good time!!!

Also,
You can look at LRI as they are making some nice Tikka Bolts these days, though not sure about for you wrong handed shooters......
Says right only :(
1627078543661.png

wow that looks nice! i'm not seeing tikka options for the alpine hunter, can you say what action and bottom metal inlet options you selected? are you using the "stock" tikka mags and bottom metal? thanks again.

You have to call in, talk to Pam. The only stock they offer (other than OEM stocks for Mesa and some others) is the Alpine Hunter unless something has changed. The only inlet they offer is for factory DBM. I did eventually get Mountain Tactical BM from the PX here but the factory part worked fine.

You have to call in, talk to Pam. The only stock they offer (other than OEM stocks for Mesa and some others) is the Alpine Hunter unless something has changed. The only inlet they offer is for factory DBM. I did eventually get Mountain Tactical BM from the PX here but the factory part worked fine.
thanks for that info, i did see they do tikka after some digging around. what made you pick AG over others such as Mesa, AG does look to be a 1/2 pound heavier.

thanks for that info, i did see they do tikka after some digging around. what made you pick AG over others such as Mesa, AG does look to be a 1/2 pound heavier.
I could spec my own LOP, color, and sling/bipod mounting. AG makes Mesa’s stock, but I didn’t want the Monte Carlo style rear end.

torque spec for spinning on the tikka proof prefit? slightly different project, just replacing the tikka factory 300 wsm with a same caliber proof carbon prefit. thanks!