• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X TAC A1 barrelled action same as CTR?

kip.duff

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Costa Mesa CA
I'm thinking of getting Tikka T3X TACT A! 6.5 CM. Many claim this is exceptionally accurate rifle. But, I think I would really prefer that set up in a GRS and/or KRG stock. So I would be paying extra for a "chassis" style stock that I would be putting in the closet. I can get a Tikka CTR 6.5 CM for a lot less. SO: I know they are generally same... BUT, more concerned to know if they are EXACTLY the same barreled actions. Tikka USA (Baretta) back east aren't very responsive- could not get a live person; let alone tech person. I think I have found an email for Tikka FI (Sako Oy). Will probably try to email them on this issue as well.

Thanks........

Yes. GRS is better with a CTR.
Same action that I can tell.

Attachments

• 20200503_165126.jpg
    20200503_165126.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 381
Yes. GRS is better with a CTR.
Same action that I can tell.

Nice. Looks like what I wanna build- GRS Hybrid?

I like the GRS stock, but not wild about the heavily accented wood grain, which seems to be VERY popular. Looks to me like you got "brown"- same as I would do I think. I don't think they will do a plain wood stock.

I shoot lefty- and I believe they will make this LH after looking at option picker on their site.

The TacA1 comes with a very good 2 stage trigger. It's really a preference and you could easily add a aftermarket or possibly a TacA1 2 stage trigger. But the action and barrel should be identical. I have both a TacA1 and a Vudoo in a Bravo. They both work well. I did add a more vertical grip to the TacA1. The Bravo is even more vertical. The grip on the Bravo is better for trigger finger placement IMO.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Jefe hit on the difference: the trigger. Everything else is the same.

Timney and KRG make aftermarket two stage triggers if that's what you prefer.
Yes- I've heard that both triggers are good- sounds close enough so I could get the CTR and not miss out on anything.

Reactions: MarinePMI
with the Yo Dave trigger spring I doubt you would even want to change out the CTR trigger.

Or look at the Tikka T3x Varmint in 6.5 CM. It has a heavier and longer barrel than the CTR and is less $$$. I put mine in KRG Bravo and moved my Tikka T3 lite 30/06 into the Varmint stock. Non threaded barrel though if that is a concern.

Or look at the Tikka T3x Varmint in 6.5 CM. It has a heavier and longer barrel than the CTR and is less $$$. I put mine in KRG Bravo and moved my Tikka T3 lite 30/06 into the Varmint stock. Non threaded barrel though if that is a concern.
Did you do a 2 stage trigger ? If yes which one? I'm going to stick with the TAC A1 if I can't build a Bravo with a double stage.

I like the OEM Tikka trigger with a lighter spring. Easy to drop a 2 stage in if you want to though.

The KRG MIDAS is comparable to the TRG/TicTac trigger. The Timney isn’t as nice, but it comes pretty close.

I got a Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo with a Timney two stage trigger. I really like it. I pretty much use Timney for all my bolt action after market triggers. The Tikka factory single stage with a Yo Dave spring is as about as good as a factory single stage trigger as it gets IMO though. I would only change the trigger if you just wanted a two stage.

I bought a Tikka T3X Varmint 223 1-8, changed the trigger spring, had local gunsmith thread 5/8x24, and put into a KRG Bravo stock. Makes a very nice setup.

I got a Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo with a Timney two stage trigger. I really like it. I pretty much use Timney for all my bolt action after market triggers. The Tikka factory single stage with a Yo Dave spring is as about as good as a factory single stage trigger as it gets IMO though. I would only change the trigger if you just wanted a two stage.
I second the YoDave spring. For less than $15 it’s the best money spent on the Tikka!

Reactions: Steel+Killer
All depends on what you are using it for. I run my TX3 for competition. Has a proof research barrel, Timney 2 stage trigger and MDT chassis.. Cost around 2k for that setup, and is way better than any other option you will find. You don't need and custom barrel fitting with TX3s either, even though the factory barrels are hard as doo doo to get off.

I tired the spring on the trigger, didn't like it, make it too spongy, but did lighten it.

I would go with the boyds for the money over KRG or GRS.. I've had all 3. The cost of that little bit of accuracy is very expensive.

The path I would go if you don't want to dump a bunch of money upfront.
6.5 CTR
Upgrade the scope mount - insurance
Upgrade the stock - A good one.. Like $700-1200 range
Upgrade the trigger
Upgrade the barrel once the life runs out

Good info. Tempting- but I want muzzle brake options. Thanks.......

Tac A1 rail is a way higher than CTR which is preferred if you have a stock not chassis with full lenght handguard.

The Tikka a1 chassis is fine and CTR mags are better than AICS. Buy the tax, throw an AI style bolt in there and run it hard.

Reactions: chickon1

I went with the T3X varmint 6.5 in a Bravo also. Had it threaded by my machinist buddy and really like it. Got a T1X in a Bravo to go with it for my son’s first rifle to match mine.

I have the T1X in a Bravo too. That's how I discovered how good the Bravo is. I have an SWFA 10x42 on it.

I have the T1X in a Bravo too. That's how I discovered how good the Bravo is. I have an SWFA 10x42 on it.
Nice! I put a strike eagle 5-25 on the T1X and a Razor 4.5-27 on the T3X, both EBR7-C reticles. Just gotta paint or wrap the Razor in black and the rifles will look nearly identical.

Reactions: K31Scout
Bravo is probably fine with the T1X. I had a T3X .308 and the ACRA rail bent from the recoil on the bipod. Bravos are not the best or the worst, get what you pay for.