• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X Varmint- Bottom Metal

Chudzy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2020
NY
Hey guys,
I've seen a lot of chat about the CTR rifles and aftermarket options for bottom metal but I'm curious if anyone can offer some insight for the T3X Varmint.

My girlfriend has the Varmint in .223 and wants to try PRS shooting since we shoot steel often. I've seen a number of people mention Mountain Tactical and Redsnake Tactical but I also have seen CDI, Roedale Precision and Atlasworxs pop up a fair amount in my searches. Can anyone offer the pros and cons on any and maybe a recommendation on some of the better mag options?

Last edited:
Does her varmint have the factory plastic dbm set up, or a CTR now?

I switched TO the CTR set up specifically for the mags for my Scout in .223. I’m very happy with the set up. Mags are great, shorter height than others, plenty long OAL, and feed great. Mags are a bit more money, but CTR dbm’s can be found used or as new for less than that ones you listed, making mag cost a wash.

AICS mags would get the nod from me if you have other guns that would use the same.

I put my 22-250 Varmint in a CTR stock so I could utilize the 10 round CTR mags. I then switched over to the CTR mag version of the Bravo chassis.

You could probably find a factory CTR stock, bm and mag in the classifieds for a good price.

That's one option I hadn't heard very much about to be honest. The CTR route would be great for her I think but I do have two model 700s that I plan to use AICS mags with (SA 223 and LA 308). Does it matter which CTR mags you use or do they all have the same follower? I just don't want to get something and run into feed issues because she's running a .223. Thanks for the info guys.

Spend a bit more on a KRG Bravo and replace that shitty flimsy stock at the same time. Win-win. Then get some Accurate 223 mags to feed it.

That's one option I hadn't heard very much about to be honest. The CTR route would be great for her I think but I do have two model 700s that I plan to use AICS mags with (SA 223 and LA 308). Does it matter which CTR mags you use or do they all have the same follower? I just don't want to get something and run into feed issues because she's running a .223. Thanks for the info guys.

I forgot it's a 223. Tikka has a dedicated 223 CTR mag but it runs about 100 bucks.

Spend a bit more on a KRG Bravo and replace that shitty flimsy stock at the same time. Win-win. Then get some Accurate 223 mags to feed it.

I'm sure she'd love that haha. I'll price it out and see. Is the stock free floated well?

I forgot it's a 223. Tikka has a dedicated 223 CTR mag but it runs about 100 bucks.

In the scheme of things that isn't awful though, I'd rather stay on or under budget. 300-400 is the budget right now to her setup. I'll exlore rhe CTR bottom metal and mags. Thanks!

I'm sure she'd love that haha. I'll price it out and see. Is the stock free floated well?

Yes free floated and has a full aluminum chassis under the skins. Also has a much better forearm for riding a game changer and attaching bipods and you can also put an arca rail on it. It’s the way to go on a budget for a Tikka. Plus they use AICS pattern mags which are way better than the CTR mags. Should run you about $350 plus the cost of mags.

Awesome, I was wondering what mags would be best. She seems to have intermittent issues feeding with her factory mags. I'll definitely look towards MDT.

Awesome, I was wondering what mags would be best. She seems to have intermittent issues feeding with her factory mags. I'll definitely look towards MDT.

my wife ran her first match with the rifle over the weekend. No issues other than her being a bit timid operating the bolt to begin with.

If you get the Bravo, get the CTR version. Much better mags. Shorter and much much smoother.

Edit: Ctr 223 mags may cost a bit more. Check into it. Probably won’t find them second hand. The car mags are very good though.