• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X Varmint in KRG Bravo AICS Mag Solution for .22-250

324matt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
Dorsey, Illinois
I just wanted to share some information for everyone who has trouble with the 22-250 and AICS style magazines. I have a Tikka T3X Varmint in a KRG Bravo stock, chambered in .22-250. After searching the forums and looking a dozens of magazines, I think I have found a good option for that round and AICS Mags. I origionally bought a KRG 5 round short action AICS mag with no binder plate for the rifle. I really didnt care for the metal tinny sound of the magazine, and how the rounds had to be shoved all the way against the back of it to fit and cycle. Also I have to be careful about rounds nose diving. I thought about trying a kit for the magazine to alter it to fit the 6mmBR or 6mmDasher, but then I would be into this mag for over $100 and thats not my goal.
So, after looking at MDT Mags I ordered a 8 round poly magazine for the .224 valkyrie. I had to slightly file the inside of the rear of the magazine for the rounds to fit as they are tapered. I also slightly sanded the feed lips to accomidate the Tikka bolt sliding over the them and not binding when the magazine has pressure on it from below. With factory ammo I can reliably cycle 6 rounds smoothly through it. The Mag release is a bit sticky right now, as the magazine has some material on the trigger guard side of it that will need to be slightly modified for it to freely drop out.
All in all I am happy and it functions like it should. I will post some pics later.

Reactions: pqr and DIBBS
Certainly sounds like you finally found a way to get a mag of 22-250 to function in your Tikka/Bravo. I didn’t realize it was a problem. You possibly saved others a whole lot of trouble. Damn decent of you

I have a very similar setup - T3x stainless in .22-250 mounted in a KRG Bravo. Since day one, I have been running the MDT polymer magazines for .308/6.5CM with zero issues in this caliber. Why did you choose to go with the .224 Valkyrie specific magazine?

I have a Tikka Varmint in 22-250 that I put in a take-off CTR stock and ran it with the CTR mags. It ran great with no problems but I wanted a better stock. The Bravo was at the top of the list but I didn't want AI mags because of feeding problems. When KRG came out with the CTR version I jumped on it. I think it's the best of both worlds. A stiffer, adjustable stock and lower profile 10 round mags that feed reliably.

I have a very similar setup - T3x stainless in .22-250 mounted in a KRG Bravo. Since day one, I have been running the MDT polymer magazines for .308/6.5CM with zero issues in this caliber. Why did you choose to go with the .224 Valkyrie specific magazine?
Its a single stack magazine

Got pictures of your modifications? My next build I am looking at a 22-250 Ackley Improved most likely. Have heard that they don't feed well from AICS magazines. Last one I had fed fine from a BDL type magazine, although I believe that the gunsmith did some modification to the rails to get them to pop up. Thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to share some information for everyone who has trouble with the 22-250 and AICS style magazines. I have a Tikka T3X Varmint in a KRG Bravo stock, chambered in .22-250. After searching the forums and looking a dozens of magazines, I think I have found a good option for that round and AICS Mags. I origionally bought a KRG 5 round short action AICS mag with no binder plate for the rifle. I really didnt care for the metal tinny sound of the magazine, and how the rounds had to be shoved all the way against the back of it to fit and cycle. Also I have to be careful about rounds nose diving. I thought about trying a kit for the magazine to alter it to fit the 6mmBR or 6mmDasher, but then I would be into this mag for over $100 and thats not my goal.
So, after looking at MDT Mags I ordered a 8 round poly magazine for the .224 valkyrie. I had to slightly file the inside of the rear of the magazine for the rounds to fit as they are tapered. I also slightly sanded the feed lips to accomidate the Tikka bolt sliding over the them and not binding when the magazine has pressure on it from below. With factory ammo I can reliably cycle 6 rounds smoothly through it. The Mag release is a bit sticky right now, as the magazine has some material on the trigger guard side of it that will need to be slightly modified for it to freely drop out.
All in all I am happy and it functions like it should. I will post some pics later.
324matt do you have any pics of what you did to modify the magazine as I am having feeding problems in my gun using Magpul magazines and would like to try another option? Thanks