• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x vs. CTR vs. aftermarket bottom metal / magazines

Ksheff

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2018
I’m planning to order a Mesa Altitude stock for my T3x. It has the option for standard T3x bottom metal, or CTR.

I assume the action will accept both, so can I choose either with a new stock? Is there any advantage to running one or the other, other than keeping the factory T3x magazines I already have?

Really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is a stalking rifle, then the t3x mags will sit flush and you can hold it right in the middle of the stock. If you will be shooting steel and need more than 3 rounds at a time, then the CTR will work, just will need to take the little magazine retainting clip out and save it. (they are not easy to come by). Only drawback to the CTR mags, is they are a bit pricey. Also the CTR are for med cartridges like 260, 308, but not the long (30-06, 300WM, 7mm mag) that I know of. Also you will need the CTR bottom metal if you go that route.

Reactions: Aubrey and 260284
As above, if you don't need more than 3/5 round magazine capacity then the factory magazines work well.
If you want 10 round capacity then CTR is the way to go, bearing in mind you are restricted to 308 based or 223 based cartridges.

I'm not sure what aftermarket options there are for CTR bottom metal though, so you may have to find one that someone has removed from their CTR.
If you do go down that route send me a PM as I have one I'm not using.

EDIT: Yes both bottom metals work with the T3 action, you could always go CTR inlet and still use the factory bottom metal, the CTR inlet is wider so you will be left with a gap between the stock and bottom metal (well plastic in this case).

It is a .308 so either option is doable, but I can’t think of any reason I would need more than the 3/5 round magazines I already have.

I’ll probably look into an aluminum bottom metal for factory mags then.. thanks!

Reactions: 260284
Also check out mountain tactical

They have a CTR inlet dbm that accepts AICS mags (stay away from magpul AICS though. Lots of trimming of feedlips required). Lots of people like their stuff.

Also check out mountain tactical

They have a CTR inlet dbm that accepts AICS mags (stay away from magpul AICS though. Lots of trimming of feedlips required). Lots of people like their stuff.

Cool, I guess that poses a new question. What are the benefits of switching to an AICS mag? looking at the pictures, they seem to hang down past, or at least flush with the trigger guard. For a hunting application would a factory T3x mag be lighter and less obtrusive?

Yes they are longer but if you ever want to do bench shooting it's nice to have more capacity available. You can always remove the mag if you're worried about it while moving.

Also if you ever move to another platform AICS can go with you to other possible future guns.

If you want flush go for it. I'm posting things for you and others that might not know what's out there. There are lots of different options. You decide to do what you want. Make yours unique to you.

Cool, I guess that poses a new question. What are the benefits of switching to an AICS mag? looking at the pictures, they seem to hang down past, or at least flush with the trigger guard. For a hunting application would a factory T3x mag be lighter and less obtrusive?
Ctr mags are nicer than AI mags. Smoother, shorter, and much easier to load. Prices have come way down on them a couple years ago. They are sold from retailers for as low as $65 at times. Even if they were twice that, who cares. You only need a couple extras.

For hunting the factory magazines are likely your best bet, if you want a flush magazine then the factory mag (3 shot for 308) will be your best bet. Means you can still use the extended 5 shot mags if you need it.

AICS/CTR magazines is a different argument, in some ways it is personal preference but the general consensus with most folk is the CTR is a nicer magazine, Wade gave the advantages above, biggest thing is the 10 shot AICS is very long, much longer than the CTR mag, which are all 10 shot.
The main advantage for the AICS mags are they are universal, basically every aftermarket stock and chassis uses AICS mags.
On the other hand very few chassis work with the CTR magazines, I believe the KRG Bravo and the Tikka Tac A1 are the only chassis that do, though there are quite a few stocks that can be inleted for the CTR bottom metal.

Not sure if it’s as relevant with the .308 but I went aftermarket BDM to get longer COAL in my .300. Even though it’s a hunting rifle primarily than crosses over to long range it’s nice to have the options to load the 180s ans 200s our longer.

I have 3 German Gun Stocks that I ordered for the CTR inlet and I have two of the Mountain Tactical bottom metal for AICS magazines. I run the CTR bottom metal in one. MT and Atlasworks both make the CTR inlet for AICS magazines. I have one CTR and two T3 action based builds, they are all interchangeable as far as footprint.

The CTR mags feed smoother than the AISC mags do. I only went AICS on one rifle because it is a switch barrel 22BR/6.5 Creed and 22BR won't feed out of a CTR magazine. I use AICS on my 223 to load 2.5" COAL and longer.

20200309_195432.jpg
20200301_183732.jpg
20200227_181920 (2).jpg
If I want a lighter build, I will use the factory single stack mags as they are the lightest and pretty cheap. Get some of the magazines made for the 6.5 Creed and you can load your 308 longer.

Reactions: Aubrey
Just to add more info - MDT makes AICS pattern 5 Round Magazines for the .308 / 6.5 CM / .260 cartridges in both Binder Plate & Non-Binder Plate versions.
If you're handloading for a Tikka, get Non-Binder plate versions, they will allow you to seat the bullet to a longer COAL and get closer to the rifling lands.
I run the Non- Binder Plate mags in my Tikka CTR 6.5 CM and have had no issue with the barreled action in the Bravo and ACC chassis.
I've hunted with the 5 round mags in both chassis and have not wished for a flush mag in either instance.

If you don’t need the added capacity there is no reason to go with the ctr/aics mags, especially on a hunting gun.

The tikka mags are flush, and if needed you can run th e long action mags with a change of bolt stop if you reload and want to run longer rounds. The stock tikka mags run super smooth, I don’t see any reason to change on a hunting rifle unless you absolutely need the capacity.

Grab a mountain tactical bottom metal that takes stock tikka mags and one of their metal mags. IMO the way to go for a hunting gun.

Can a tikka expert here answer a question.

Can I take a Tikka T3x Bautte rifle in 308 and convert it to take and utilize Tikka CTR mags?

Can I take a Tikka T3x Bautte rifle in 308 and convert it to take and utilize Tikka CTR mags?

In theory, yes.
The stock will need to be milled/machined/cut to fit the CTR bottom metal as it is wider than the standard plastic one.
I'm not sure of any aftermarket bottom metals that take CTR mags though, most are made for AICS.

It would likely be easier to just buy a stock with the bottom metal from a forum member that has upgraded to a chassis.
It you are interested I may have a stock and bottom metal that I can sell on. Send me a PM if interested.

Yes it can, as above, you need the stock and bottom metal. All you have to do is remove the little retaining tab from the bottom of your receiver. dont loose it as they are expensive. You can sell the tab to someone who wants to convert their CTR to a regular hunting style hunting rifle.

Well this has a wood stock. So I would have to do wood wood work correct.

Yes it can be done, but unless you have a mill, it would be better to just buy a used CTR take off stock and bottom metal. Honestly the CTR mags are expensive, you could drop your rifle into a chassis or mini chassis and use AI or Magpul type mags. Also Tikka makes a 5 round mag for the standard magwell. What is your goal? I went the other route I put my CTR in a B&C stock with standard mag. I just carry 4 mags, two in each cargo pocket. I like carrying my rifle by the receiver.

Yes it can be done, but unless you have a mill, it would be better to just buy a used CTR take off stock and bottom metal. Honestly the CTR mags are expensive, you could drop your rifle into a chassis or mini chassis and use AI or Magpul type mags. Also Tikka makes a 5 round mag for the standard magwell. What is your goal? I went the other route I put my CTR in a B&C stock with standard mag. I just carry 4 mags, two in each cargo pocket. I like carrying my rifle by the receiver.
I didn’t quite see the answer I came here for but think we’re close. Can I convert my CTR back to standard tikka t3x bottom metal/flush mag and keep the same CTR stock? Bought the CTR for short length and thicker contour but cant stand the 10 round mag for hunting. Sounds like this is possible? Maybe not? Mountain tactical possibly?

I didn’t quite see the answer I came here for but think we’re close. Can I convert my CTR back to standard tikka t3x bottom metal/flush mag and keep the same CTR stock? Bought the CTR for short length and thicker contour but cant stand the 10 round mag for hunting. Sounds like this is possible? Maybe not? Mountain tactical possibly?

Yes you can fit a standard T3 bottom metal/trigger guard.
The inlet for the CTR bottom metal is wider than the standard so there will be a gap around the edges but it will fit.

If you are happy with the standard T3 stock I imagine you can pick up a stock and trigger guard from the PX here relatively cheap.
A T3 Varmint stock wouldn't need any modifying but a T3 Lite would need the barrel channel opening up a bit.

Reactions: 260284 and westtx
Yes you can fit a standard T3 bottom metal/trigger guard.
The inlet for the CTR bottom metal is wider than the standard so there will be a gap around the edges but it will fit.

If you are happy with the standard T3 stock I imagine you can pick up a stock and trigger guard from the PX here relatively cheap.
A T3 Varmint stock wouldn't need any modifying but a T3 Lite would need the barrel channel opening up a bit.
Thanks @beetroot

I have 3 German Gun Stocks that I ordered for the CTR inlet and I have two of the Mountain Tactical bottom metal for AICS magazines. I run the CTR bottom metal in one. MT and Atlasworks both make the CTR inlet for AICS magazines. I have one CTR and two T3 action based builds, they are all interchangeable as far as footprint.

The CTR mags feed smoother than the AISC mags do. I only went AICS on one rifle because it is a switch barrel 22BR/6.5 Creed and 22BR won't feed out of a CTR magazine. I use AICS on my 223 to load 2.5" COAL and longer.

View attachment 7312221View attachment 7312223View attachment 7312228If I want a lighter build, I will use the factory single stack mags as they are the lightest and pretty cheap. Get some of the magazines made for the 6.5 Creed and you can load your 308 longer.
Where did you get the german stocks i looked at one point but never found a US distributer, I love the skeletonized thumb hole one

Where did you get the german stocks i looked at one point but never found a US distributer, I love the skeletonized thumb hole one
Looks like on German gun stocks site they have prices and show prices for shipping to the US. Take a look again. They might just be able to ship it to you.