• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Tac A1 Barrel Nut

inverse44

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2017
Illinois
Hi all, I'm debating whether to pick up a Tac A1 sometime soon and was wondering if the new barrel nut set ups from Criterion would fit inside the handguard nut for the Tac A1. The barrel nut seems a little bit thicker in the pictures than the standard CTR barrels so I'm not sure if there's enough clearance inside to fit. If anyone could post pictures of how much clearance there is between the factory barrel and the handguard nut it would be really useful. Thanks.

I am interested also. I believe the fore-end rail/free float tube for the T3x Tac A1 clamps onto the barrel or what would normally be a barrel nut (like on an AR-15/AR-10.) So I wonder if the fore-end would interfere with a barrel nut set up? It would be nice to be able to swap barrels if would work. I have been looking at McGowen https://mcgowenbarrel.com/ and https://www.solidaccuracy.com/product/current-inventory/ I do not have my hands on the rifle yet so I cannot take it apart to see how this all works. Has anyone looked under the fore-end?

Interested as well if there’s any update

Might be able to use a "hunting contour" PVA nut (just a guess here) as it's pretty low profile...

I've been wondering about this myself so I spoke to Josh at Patriot Valley Arms. He said he has to modify the flange on the chassis that the hand guard bolts to. He said it's a straight forward modification and he just needs the one part, not the entire chassis to be sent in.

He also sells Tikka prefit barrels with barrel nuts and does great work.

Reactions: richthe1
I've been wondering about this myself so I spoke to Josh at Patriot Valley Arms. He said he has to modify the flange on the chassis that the hand guard bolts to. He said it's a straight forward modification and he just needs the one part, not the entire chassis to be sent in.

He also sells Tikka prefit barrels with barrel nuts and does great work.

Does PVA also make the nut assembly so that AR15 style handguards can be interchangeable on the TAC A1 chasis?

Interested as well. (Stupid question) Is the original a barrel nut style system? If it is is, anyone make a barrel to work with the original nut?

I'm part of a facebook group for Tikka Tac A1 owners and a few of the guys have installed PVAs prefit barrels with the barrel nut and they fit just fine. One of the guys has a MTU contour with a barrel nut.

Personally, I just installed a 26-inch m24 shouldered prefit on my Tac A1 and it's working out just fine.

You guys are talking about swapping barrels and nuts...reasons? Shoot the original barrels out? Changing out the chassis?

I’m about to buy one of the Tikka Tac A1.

You guys are talking about swapping barrels and nuts...reasons? Shoot the original barrels out? Changing out the chassis?

I’m about to buy one of the Tikka Tac A1.

I shot my factory Tac A1 barrel out to the point where it wasn't useable in PRS matches. It was a 6.5 Creedmoor that had about 1,600 rounds through it. Funny thing is the day before I changed the barrel I printed the best group I've ever shot with the rifle. 5-shots at 200 yards that measured 0.24 inches, however my load velocity dropped from 2742 fps to 2,609 fps and I had to load my bullets to 2.900" to be 20 thou off the lands.

Gunsmith confirmed it was time to change and that sometimes you just get a barrel with weaker steel. Most guys make it to 2,000 rounds with 6.5s

I'm filing a Consumer Complaint with FTC on this "Compatible AR15 Handguard" bullshit that Tikka/Beretta falsely advertised. Will update you guys.

I'm filing a Consumer Complaint with FTC on this "Compatible AR15 Handguard" bullshit that Tikka/Beretta falsely advertised. Will update you guys.

Report filed... If you are as frustrated with their BS as I am go file a report with FTC. Easy steps and takes about 15 minutes depending on how fast you can type. The more complaints we put in the more likely they will sell us the correct barrel nut to make swaps possible. Stay the fawk out of this country if you can keep your promises is all I gotta say. You can make reference to report no.116597018 if you like. It would make it easier for FTC to take action.

I am interested also. I believe the fore-end rail/free float tube for the T3x Tac A1 clamps onto the barrel or what would normally be a barrel nut (like on an AR-15/AR-10.) So I wonder if the fore-end would interfere with a barrel nut set up? It would be nice to be able to swap barrels if would work. I have been looking at McGowen https://mcgowenbarrel.com/ and https://www.solidaccuracy.com/product/current-inventory/ I do not have my hands on the rifle yet so I cannot take it apart to see how this all works. Has anyone looked under the fore-end?
Did you get any definite feedback on this? I have a TAC A1 that needs a new barrel. I wanted to find a prefit and do the change locally, but when I take the Tikka apart there is no barrel nut. There's an adapter for the fore end attachment that LOOKS like a barrel nut, but it isn't screwed on. So I think the TAC A1 must need a shouldered barrel, and I'm not sure that can be done without sending my barreled action to commercial provider. Would appreciate your feedback.

Did you get any definite feedback on this? I have a TAC A1 that needs a new barrel. I wanted to find a prefit and do the change locally, but when I take the Tikka apart there is no barrel nut. There's an adapter for the fore end attachment that LOOKS like a barrel nut, but it isn't screwed on. So I think the TAC A1 must need a shouldered barrel, and I'm not sure that can be done without sending my barreled action to commercial provider. Would appreciate your feedback.
Your tikka takes a shouldered barrel that can be made without having to have your action. Correct. Lots of providers.

Help me understand - how could a shouldered barrel be cut to the right headspace without having the action on hand? Proof would have been my choice, but they only have lite barrels for prefit. I have a CTR contour now, and if anything I would prefer a heavier barrel.

Fabulous to hear that. Are there any recommendations for suppliers? I am mainly concerned with accuracy, secondarily features like twist rate and contour options.

Anyone have the inside diameter of the Tac A1 forend adapter? Wanting to know if my T3 Heavy Varmint action would fit in that chassis.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but could someone please confirm a standard shouldered prefit should work without issue on a tac a1?

I took it apart yesterday- it seems the handguard clamps to a little faux nut thing that really isn't a nut at all- just a bracket that attaches via hex nuts.

The rest appears to be standard Tikka shoulder.

Yep they’ll work just fine. I’ve used profits from PVA and Straight Jacket Armory. If you’re still using the TAC-A1 chassis you can’t go heavier than m24 contour. Even with m24 I had to file down screws on my pic rail attachment for my bipod so screws wouldn’t touch the barrel

Reactions: CaptArab
Would a heavy varmint contour from Criterion fit the Tac A1? I got one on order but still have time to change the contour if needed. I believe the heavy varmint is a tiny bit smaller muzzle diameter (like .01 to .005 inches) and just wanted to make sure it will fit before the work gets started.