• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tikka vs savage vs howa

manscout

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
looking to get a 300 win mag for distances from 700-1600 but with the occasional elr type of thing with the fancy bullets 2000+. already having a custom gun my goal for this is to see for how cheaply i can accomplish the goals stated. i have a few savages and am a fan of their value. i like tikka actions but their factory barrels are 1:11 and that seems pretty poor for this setting. the howa seems like it may work. especially a barreled action with a threaded barrel. so... what are yall's thoughts? i know nothing i listed is ideal. i plan on taking whatever i go with and sometime in the future throwing on the correct barrel for the goal. but for now, budget is <$1000

Tikka 300 wsm. You can convert to a long action by changing the bolt stop out then run berger 210 BTLR the 1-11 is sufficient as long as you can push 2700 for the mag buy a 5 round 300 win mag- magazine and use parts with you other one to make your new mag. Oh ya your gonna need a Dremel

Tikka 300 wsm. You can convert to a long action by changing the bolt stop out then run berger 210 BTLR the 1-11 is sufficient as long as you can push 2700 for the mag buy a 5 round 300 win mag- magazine and use parts with you other one to make your new mag. Oh ya your gonna need a Dremel

so what's the deal with tikka's funky long action mag oal?

Have you thought about a 6.5CM RPR with the new Flatline 122gr used when you really want to stretch the distance?

so what's the deal with tikka's funky long action mag oal?

If I remember right the long action mag is 3.34 with a width of .55 you need .555 for the wsm so that's were the Dremel comes. Honestly I think it was just designed for factory ammo lengths hence the short oal. You can fit 4 rounds of wsm in the 5 round 300 win mag magazine after hogging it out with sand paper and Dremel. I ve just started working up a load with h4350 if I remember right i started with 60 grains and it was the high end of 2600 fps this is with 20 though off the lands so I can prob go up another few grains. If I cannot achieve the velocity I want I was considering converting the barrel to a 30 nosler since they are the same same parent case. 404 Jeffries I think.