• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka vs XLR

dbowl23

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
GA
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a chassis rifle and I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Tikka action but what I can not decide on is whether to go with the CTR and drop it in a XLR chassis or to just get the pre built Tikka T3x Tac A1. From the information I have read/watched, the prebuilt should have no issue shooting half MOA. Everything I have heard on the XLR is positive as well. Thoughts?

Well the Tac A1 does have a two stage trigger. For me thats a huge pro. However some companies are now making a T3 two stage trigger, but that will obviously add to your total rifle cost. If the standard T3 trigger is good enough for you, I’d say get the one that does it for you, the Tac A1 or the CTR/XLR.

Also consider the XLR will use AICS mags. I know Lowlight has mentioned on “The Everyday Sniper” that he has had problems with his Tac A1 using the factory magazines supplied with the rifle. Plus AICS magazines are the “standard” nowadays, so they should be easier to source should you need another.

Reactions: dbowl23
I have shot my friends TAC a good amount and his will easily shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups with factory ammo and even better groups with hand loads. I like a good amount of things about the rifle but the one thing I hate are the magazines!
I have a T3X that I dumped into an XLR carbon chassis. Maybe it’s just me and my preference but I prefer the XLR chassis over the TAC. Nothing wrong with the TAC chassis its probably just what I’m used to.
E5DB342F-0F41-48FD-AFE9-3EFE1B680E68.jpeg

The really like the Tikka CTR magazines. 10 rds in a short body. I have several magazines and the only problem I have had is one of them would let the rear of the cartridge sit to low and sometimes the bolt would ride over it. I pulled it apart and bent the spring correctly and haven't had a problem since. This is in a CTR not a TAC.

OP if you buy a CTR and want to drop it in a chassis, make me a deal on the bottom metal and magazine. I would buy it from you if that helps your decision. PM me and we can work out a deal. I am a man of my word.

I'm thinking CTR and a XLR of your choice. Sale Wade the left over parts and recoup some of your money.I would think the XLR has better contact points between action and chassis than the factory chassis that comes with the TAC.And of course I run AI mags in all my shit with no problems.Then put a prefit Brux or Bartlein barrel on it and your good to go.While your at it don't forget about a Nightforce.

Good info. I am also concidering a chassis rifle. Currently leaning towards the TAC A1.

Hey guys thanks for the information! I am leaning towards the Tac A1 due to price. From what I have figured the price difference in the Tac A1 and CTR/XLR is about 200-300 dollars. Granted that is not much in the long run, but just wanting to get a feel if its worth it.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Nightforce Direct Mount rings?

Wade - I will definitely keep that in mind making the decision

Last edited:
Reactions: Brux
I have shot my friends TAC a good amount and his will easily shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups with factory ammo and even better groups with hand loads. I like a good amount of things about the rifle but the one thing I hate are the magazines!
I have a T3X that I dumped into an XLR carbon chassis. Maybe it’s just me and my preference but I prefer the XLR chassis over the TAC. Nothing wrong with the TAC chassis its probably just what I’m used to. View attachment 6935177
What kind of bipod do you have on there?

What kind of bipod do you have on there?

Haha well I’m going to get beat up for this but it’s a UTG. And I absolutely love it for shooting off benches. It is way better for bench shooting than my Atlas any day of the week. The Atlas is way more rugged and dependable for the field and that’s when I use the Atlas. I even use the UTG on my 338LM and it has been great for 4 years and over ~8,000 rounds so far.

Look at the XLR Envy.. I have a CTR 6.5 and 223 Varmint both in Envy Chassis, one with full length ARCA rail and the other ARCA/pic rail combo. Im really happy with these. The ergos are great for me and the built in rail is a really nice feature. The AICS mags are an improvement over the CTR mags. The only other mods I use are Sterk bolt handles and YoDave triggers springs, both triggers break crisp between 1.5 and 1.6lbs.

Reactions: XLR Industries
I don't see the appeal of XLR products at all. MDT's chassis are a better design, particularly their stocks.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I have a friend who shoots the Tikka Tac A1 260 and I shoot a Tikka CTR 308 on a regular basis...both guns are super accurate and like guys have mentioned both shoot around .5 moa on average with "decent" factory ammo...but they truly shine with hand loaded ammo.
Alot of good information on the Tikka Forum on these rifles...I've been a active member there for years.

This is what my CTR 308 is capable of @ 200yrds on a perfect day when I'm on my game...this group is about 1/8moa,...one of the best 200yrd groups I have ever shot with a factory rifle...its a great shooter and groups 1/4moa or better with boring regularity.
The only thing i have done to the rifle is open up the barrel channel near the action and installed a Vais muzzle brake.

Load data:
Hornady Brass
45gr Varget
168gr Amax
Coal - 2.825

Attachments

• 45gr Varget..jpg
    45gr Varget..jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 308 CTR @ 200yrds.jpg
    308 CTR @ 200yrds.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Yeah it's all up to what fits you! I got my Tikka back in 2015, threw a Bartlien on it and haven't stopped building it since. The CTR in a chassis would be my recommendation, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tac A1 :)

iaE29rm.jpg

I don't see the appeal of XLR products at all. MDT's chassis are a better design, particularly their stocks.

I feel the opposite. Different strokes

What Spife said...

Once I had a chance to actually hold them in hand, side by side, there really wasn't anything I liked about the MDT. I'm not saying either is better or worse, just liked the ergos and feel of the XLR better. It feels more solid to me.

I will say the XLR Element (at least the earlier version as I think they’ve made some improvements) didn't blow my skirt up, but I love the Envy.

Last edited:
Judging by what i see on the Tikka forum most guys prefer the XLR...the MDT is great too but I would personally prefer the XLR after handling and comparing both (XLR Envy & MDT LSS). XLR fitment just feels better to me.

I have not had the chance to handle the MDT ESS...I would seriously look at this one from MDT if i was in the market for one right now for my CTR.

My vote goes to the CTR in a chassis. Ive never been a huge fan of guns that came in their own chassis because I generally like to pick my own. With the CTR you can get some of your money back by selling the stock it came with once you replace it, or keep it around for hunting or something.
XLR makes excellent chassis, Envy, Element, or Carbon would all be awesome. MDT makes great chassis too, I would look at their newer LSS XL Gen2 and their ESS. KRG also makes great Tikka chassis in the Bravo, Xray and Whiskey3.
MPA chassis is what im currently running and can also be made for Tikkas.
The TacA1 does get a 2 stage but if you dont have a preference between 1 or 2 stage triggers, then its a moot point. Plus soon you will be able to buy aftermarket 2 stage triggers for any Tikka. IMO the regular Tikka trigger needs no changing. Ymmv

As stated above, The factory Tikka trigger is excellent...!
I have 6 Tikka's and they are all set at a 2lb trigger pull which I think is excellent. No need to change especially with aftermarket springs that will allow you to go below that...

The TacA1 does get a 2 stage but if you dont have a preference between 1 or 2 stage triggers, then its a moot point. Plus soon you will be able to buy aftermarket 2 stage triggers for any Tikka. IMO the regular Tikka trigger needs no changing. Ymmv

Timney already has a two stage trigger, works on my Tikka T3's and M595.

I have a Tikka CTR in an XLR chasis. Really love it. As others have said, the Tikka's are .75 MOA and better guns. And I wouldn't let the CTR trigger dissuade you. Swap out a Yodave spring for the stock one and you will get a 1.5 pound trigger. If I let someone else shoot my rifle, I always warn them that the trigger is VERY light.

Plus, if you decide you need a hunting rifle, just swap in the original CTR stock and you are good to go.

I am leaning towards the Tac A1 due to price. From what I have figured the price difference in the Tac A1 and CTR/XLR is about 200-300 dollars.
Be sure to get a quote at Grabagun. When I bought my Tac A1 a few months ago, their quote was $1399 plus $7 shipping. For that price, I couldn't find a reason to get anything else.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but the Tac A1 stock fits me well. The only thing I really didn't like was the grip, but replacing it was quick and cheap.

And I don't know why people complain about the Tikka magazines. They're nice: steel, staggered 10rd capacity, and readily available. They're a little pricey, but no more so than a real AICS magazine. And besides, you get three of them with the rifle -- how many do you need?

If you like tinkering with your guns, or you want a unique rifle that looks more custom than a factory gun, or you need some special barrel or whatever, then sure -- get a CTR and put it in a chassis. But if you just want a really good rifle that's already been sorted, that's the Tac A1. In my opinion, anyway.

Tikka Tac3 ordered and on the way along with a Vortex GenII 5-25X50 scope. Now to figure out the rings and a bipod.

i think this is a bit of a personal opinion thats not grounded in any facts but than again that has never stopped you before.

XLR makes very good products.

If you like tinkering with your guns, or you want a unique rifle that looks more custom than a factory gun, or you need some special barrel or whatever, then sure -- get a CTR and put it in a chassis. But if you just want a really good rifle that's already been sorted, that's the Tac A1. In my opinion, anyway.

I switched to a chassis because i like the no need for bedding, yes there are plently of stocks that are bedded, I also like getting my bipod much farther out. Also the chassis adds weight where you need it in a lot of cases. I dont think there is a bad chassis out there and if the one you get doesnt have bells and whistles you can buy an addon that does it.