• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time Restricted Eating

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
Anyone here doing Time Restricted Eating? I’ve been doing keto (not as strict as I should, too much protein not enough fat consistently) with good success, and am planning on doing keto within a time restriction to test the results. I’m starting today. Planning on a 9-10 hour eating window. Interested to hear from others.

When I'm not putting in big weeks on the bicycle, I find that restricted eating hours works well for me. On days when am not very active (such as a winter day with a lot of work at a desk or lab table), I can make get by on an 8-hour window. If I'm active outdoors or hit the weights mid-morning, then something along the lines of a 10-hour window is manageable. If I go out for an evening bike ride or don't fuel properly after a daytime ride, then all of this goes out the window.

I don't know how this works with keto - my goals are a 33/33/33 carb/fat/protein split on light and off days, and something closer to 50/30/20 when I'm burning 1500+ calories on a single bike ride.

I used to do the time restricted eating(4-7pm) but have since moved on to just a 24 hour fasting everyday during the week and have since lost an additional 10lbs after plateauing with the time restricted stuff. I've noticed for myself that it really doesn't make a difference if you meal prep and account for all your calories. It helps more by cutting out the snacking/grazing you'd do in between meals which is the real killer. Just eating any 1800-2200cal meal a day and I've been able to maintain my weight to teenage levels with not very much exercise. If you're doing moderate lifting or cardio I'd probably bump that up to around 3000cal.

Last edited:
I had been doing a mild Keto diet for several months and daily cardio when I plateaued. To change it up I started 34 hour fasting and have been very successful with it. My eating schedule for the last 8 weeks has been:
Monday: Fast - drink lots of water(flavored if you like)
Tuesday: 06:00-20:00 Eat Day - eggs, protein shake w/spinach, nuts, cheese and meat in relatively small portions(typically scrambled eggs for breakfast, protein shake for lunch and a low carb taco for dinner. Nuts and cheese as needed in between)
Wednesday: Fast - drink lots of water
Thursday: 06:00-20:00 Eat Day - eggs, protein shake w/spinach, nuts, cheese and meat in relatively small portions(typically scrambled eggs for breakfast, protein shake for lunch and a hamburger casserole for dinner. Nuts and cheese as needed in between)
Friday: Fast - drink lots of water
Saturday 06:00 to Sunday 20:00: Eat Days - I tried to keep as healthy as possible but also wanted to celebrate the week's victory with something like a fresh mini pizza or frozen yogurt.

This is just an outline of how I made this work for me. I found that the key to success was to make the fasting diet work for you. If you are not happy with it, it will be much more difficult to stick to it. I have dropped an additional 35lbs in the last 8 weeks and feel better than I have in years. I also do not plan on sustaining this diet forever, it was meant to get me to a weight that was more conducive for higher intensity workouts. There are lots of different ways to make a fasting diet work. I can't stress enough how important it to tailor it to you and your needs for success!

I’ve been doing 16/8 with a 9-5 eating window. Evenings are no big deal but I’m so bored at work in the morning it drives me nuts. Think I’m gonna try 8-4 next week.

I push as far into the day as I can. Usually 1-3pm. Sometimes earlier. I'm trying to achieve a longer fast than 16.

I’ve done 16/8 when cutting and found that it makes it easier to stay within your total calorie budget. I did not notice any additional benefits over eating the same amount over a longer period.

My fat loss rate stayed the same regardless of eating window.

I've been doing a 22/2 for 7 or 8 years, with weekends off. I had a lot of weight loss for the first 6-8 months, and have basically maintained since. Only weight gain happens around the holidays, and is promptly lost over the following month or two.

16/8 from 8-4 is working well during the week and stretching it to 12-6 on the weekend. I’m maintaining my weight, loosing fat, gaining strength in the weight room, feel full, more mentally sharp, and sleep better/harder.

Need to up my cardio, but everything seems to be working well at the moment.

So I started 18:6 IF a week ago. Today, I did my first 24 hour fast. I've only lost a couple of pounds so far, but it's amazing that I wasn't even hungry today at all. We shall see how it goes over the next few months, but after the first couple of days, it's been quite easy. I feel much more alert and "awake", if that makes sense. I've been sleeping better at night as well. My clothes are not fitting as tight, so I know things are changing, even though the scale isn't showing much yet.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
I've been doing IF for about a decade now, it has changed my life for the better in ways i did not think possible.

OMAD for the win. Have never felt better in my life. Lost weight but have long since stabilized. The biggest issue with IF is being social because everyone constantly bugs you to eat.

16/8 at a minimum with 18/6 being the norm. Time window is usually 1100-1700 but sometimes it shifts left or right depending on if it’s a range/comp day.

Gym is always 1-3hrs (depending on the gym session/mountain path) before eating.

IF/TE/Whatever you want to refer to it as is a great tool to complement your fitness routine.

The work health guru back in April introduced me to autophagy

Since April Ive been IF 2 days per week.

On Mondays and Thursdays I eat a great Keto breakfast of bacon and eggs than wont eat again until the next morning. 24 hour fasting.

My desire has nothing to do with weight loss, Keto got me to what is a good weight for me, its more I believe in the ridding the body of waste and plaques that occur in a fast that runs longer than 16 hours.

Its really pretty easier to do if you primarily run on fats and protein having abandoned carbs. Workouts dont suffer on fasting days and the hunger is the level that sharpens your senses, sure I may be a little less patient with the kids on those days but they bring that upon themselves.

Man the bacon and eggs the next morning taste good too!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The thing is, for keto to work, it can’t just be treated like any other diet, which is really confusing considering all the pundits touting the keto diet. Eating a balanced diet in daylight hours and night capping with a keto bar from Whole Foods is not going to put you in a state of ketosis, nor is eating keto religiously and bingeing the family sized bag of Doritos twice a week. Putting the word diet beside keto is a bit misleading because it downplays the outrageous restrictions required to put your body in an unnatural fat-burning state. In order to accomplish the ketosis most diet plans talk about, you need to radically change your lifestyle and, unlike switching to a balanced diet of whole foods, you must be fairly religious about carb restriction in order to reap the benefits.

No bruh,

When I first heard of keto I was skeptical.

"Diet" to me meant "calorie deficits and "denial of food".

When it was explained to me, and having the experience of caring for a Type I diabetic, I knew it would work.

I agree with you regards you cant "cheat" and it is a total food lifestyle change. Cheating I think would do the absolute opposite to your goals and I think would set up an unhealthy metabolism.

I am not a zealot in my eating nor do I follow any strict regimen. I go out to eat and enjoy company without being "special".

I just dont eat carbs and processed foods to the greatest extent possible.

No bread, no pizza, no rice, no Doritos, Ive refused salad dressings that contain ANY added sugars. Food labeling these days makes avoiding carbs pretty easy.

I eat fats, protein and green vegetables, lots of cauliflower. I only shop the meat, produce and dairy (soon to cut out some dairy) aisles.

I go to a restaurant their is always steak on the menu and instead of the starch I get a double order of broccoli. Dessert is black coffee with a rye or some sort of cocktail.

If I piss on a ketostik I doubt it would be deep purple but Im a fat burner for sure.

My daughter is Type I diabetic. Any time she gets sick her sugar numbers are such you think she is cured - not so. We quickly slide into an equally dangerous situation as she goes into ketosis and we are forced to feed carbs just so we can get insulin into her system.

We lucky many that have a functioning pancreas can avoid the dangers she faces and benefit from good health.

Never caring about ratios, just carb starving myself Im down about 20-25 pounds, a not obese 205 to a fit 180.

Twenty years ago I unknowingly went "keto" and was in the best shape of my life. I just stopped eating processed foods but I also cut fats out of my diet. I ate tons of brocoli and veg but Id stupidly and with great regret trim the delicious salty fat off my steaks. I considered plain rice and pasta healthy than too - you dont see many fat Asians. I think I countered the carbs because I swam 3-4 days per week at an hour per session and in between swimming days I would take 7-8 mile runs. Lifting was daily. Sundays Id avoid the usual and just bike or rollerblade.

My current excercise is more attuned toward the guy living in the second part of the century yet Ive been able to break out and wear clothes that had been bought when I was at that peak of fitness twenty years ago.

......and Im eating that sweet salty fat on the steak like a man possessed motorboating Dolly Parton when she was in her prime.

Truth be told I think the govt lied to us in 1975 with their Senate Select recommendations on Nutrition and they are likely responsible for the deaths of millions of Americans. Those food guidelines were a big kiss to the corn syrup/high carb industry at the cost of our health.

The last two years Ive basically practiced all the nutritional things we are warned against and great health has been the result. My labs back that up.

All food is medicine.

Make sure you put healthy stuff in your body.

Last edited:
Edit add......

I disagree with the idea "ketosis" is an unnatural state of metabolism.

I think our modern processed food diet is unnatural.

I derive from a norther climate people.

From perhaps October to early July what carbs are available for me to eat assuming no refrigeration/canning or imports.

Take a walk in the woods of northeast America in January and pick me a carb.

Again I think the idea fat and protein is unnatural originated from the money shuffle to the corn growers back around the early 70s.

I also look at all the food allergy shit going on and lay that blame on those that serve us with the shitty processed diets we have come to regard as natural.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccasanova
A buddy of mine had mentioned this kind of idea to me a few months back stating that it had helped him to lose the weight (he dropped somewhere around 40 lbs). From what I read on it a part of the reason it works for people seems to be that the volume of food that can be consumed in the eating period is usually cumulatively smaller than what would otherwise be consumed over the course of the day. I have yet to give it a shot myself, but the idea seems valid enough based on the way that other diet systems work to restrict caloric intake, just a different approach.

A buddy of mine had mentioned this kind of idea to me a few months back stating that it had helped him to lose the weight (he dropped somewhere around 40 lbs). From what I read on it a part of the reason it works for people seems to be that the volume of food that can be consumed in the eating period is usually cumulatively smaller than what would otherwise be consumed over the course of the day. I have yet to give it a shot myself, but the idea seems valid enough based on the way that other diet systems work to restrict caloric intake, just a different approach.

Sort of yes and sort of no, there are a whole host of processes that engage during fasting that are beneficial far above just calorie restriction.

Sort of yes and sort of no, there are a whole host of processes that engage during fasting that are beneficial far above just calorie restriction.
Interesting. I will have to do some more research on it. I know one thing he mentioned was that it was supposed to help your body identify malformed cells or something like that and then eliminate those. Not really sure if that's all true as I need to do more research but I do believe that is what he said.

Interesting. I will have to do some more research on it. I know one thing he mentioned was that it was supposed to help your body identify malformed cells or something like that and then eliminate those. Not really sure if that's all true as I need to do more research but I do believe that is what he said.

autophagy is absolutely one of the befits. As well as slowly recovering from insulin sensitivity.

Reactions: pmclaine and 260S
Not anymore but I did intermittent fasting for about 9 months in 2018 and was probably the best I’ve felt and looked in a longtime. My feeding window was from 4pm-midnight and I’d workout at 3pm right at the end of my fast. Hardest part after a while was making sure I actually ate enough calories but very easy and effective.

I have been eating one meal a day 90% of the time for the last 2 years. People bug you about it at first but then they come to expect it.

Anyone here doing Time Restricted Eating? I’ve been doing keto (not as strict as I should, too much protein not enough fat consistently) with good success, and am planning on doing keto within a time restriction to test the results. I’m starting today. Planning on a 9-10 hour eating window. Interested to hear from others.

Just catch her when she's in a good mood.

I limit myself to 30mins in the Chinese buffet's.....however...I can really kill some protein in 30mins... j/k

On a more serious note...I eat when I'm hungry...but I'm more of a grazer...I hardly ever sit down and eat more than half a plate full of food at one time. I don't over indulge. I don't starve myself either. I buy local farm raised stuff that happens to be organic..because I like the thought of keeping the local farmer in business more than some trended health thing.

It is really great that at age 50...I'm still wearing the same sized pants I did in High School....sure is cheap to never have to buy more clothes.

Reactions: pmclaine
Shoot for a 16 hour fast, 8 hour period of eating. The benefits of autophagy are realized in a 16 hour fast.

It kicks in even better at about 18 hours.

Ive decided on fasting two days a week from end of breakfast until breakfast the next day 24 hours.

Dont know if that is ideal, good or harmful but I feel pretty good.

Monday and Thursday are my fasting days - kind of sucky days anyhow so I dont feel like Im missing anything or interfering with enjoying the family.