• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Time to consider ear protection beyond ear muffs

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Through the years I have always relied on ear muffs to provide ear protection. I currently use Walker’s, but despite their compact size I still find myself struggling to get comfortable behind the rifle because of the way the muffs can interfere with my cheek weld. I am German, so maybe I do have a square head! I want to explore the world of ear plugs as a less bulky option. I would be pleased, and appreciative, to hear how my fellow Hide members have dealt with this issue. I know there are some custom plugs to be had for big dollars, had some while shooting skeet and trap years ago, but I am hoping other options are available and have been discovered by my brethren. I want to thank, in advance, all that take the time to share your ideas. Best!

Last edited:
I use the custom molded-to-your-ear plugs that although they cost as I recall about $80USD are well worth the money. I've used my current pair for 6 years now and they still work great. They really suppress the report and are very comfortable as I have to wear mine for 3 hours at a time in shooting matches.

Reactions: Rio2019
If you can't swing the expensive custom ones, then look for the soft/foam type with the highest NRR (noise reduction rating). Roll them into a smaller diameter, with your other hand reach over your head and pull the top of your ear lobe to straighten out the ear canal. Insert and hold in place till they expand.....

Reactions: Vodak and Rio2019
I also use a pair of custom molded ones. They were about $90 usd, and I feel that they are a good value. They work really well to keep the noise out, but I can still hear conversation. They aren’t bulky, so the stock doesn’t push them off my ears. I don’t have any electronics in mine so they are still affordable. I‘m glad I got these, and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t wait so long to get them.

Another vote for the custom-molded ear plugs. I used to have some, until my dog got ahold of them and thought they were tasty.

Howard Leight Sport Impact electronic muffs work pretty-darned good, also. I'm just sayin'.

Been using these for a while now. I’ve been pleased. 90+% of my shooting is hunting though.

Go to your local ENT and have custom plugs made, well worth the money.

I just use disposable foam earplugs by Howard Leight.
Plus one for these.
I got so used to wearing them around the house and in bed when I was married that I don't even notice them any more......

Reactions: Rio2019
I am currently duck hunting with Otto Noizebarrier ear plugs. I like them a lot for hunting and/or suppressed shooting.

Range day I still do minimalist muffs and foamie ear plugs.