• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time to rebarrel & rechamber

moosehunter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2004
Prince George BC, Canada
I posted on this some time ago but didnt get to much input so I'll try again. The barrel on my win mod 70, 300 wm is toast so Im looking at going with a Kreiger ss and chambering in 300wsm. Now Ive read that this caliber doesnt do well with the heavier bullets. I prefer the 200gr.spbt and want to try Berger 210's. Is the reason this cal. doesnt like the heavier bullets because of the short action so reduced powder capacity with longer bullets? If so a med. action shouldnt be a concern with this I would think. Should a person go with the 1-11 twist that Berger suggests and hope it does well with the Sierra's or go with standard 1-10 and hope it does well with the Berger's?

Re: Time to rebarrel & rechamber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted on this some time ago but didnt get to much input so I'll try again. The barrel on my win mod 70, 300 wm is toast so Im looking at going with a Kreiger ss and chambering in 300wsm. <span style="color: #CC0000"> Now Ive read that this caliber doesnt do well with the heavier bullets. </span> I prefer the 200gr.spbt and want to try Berger 210's. Is the reason this cal. doesnt like the heavier bullets because of the short action so reduced powder capacity with longer bullets? If so a med. action shouldnt be a concern with this I would think. Should a person go with the 1-11 twist that Berger suggests and hope it does well with the Sierra's or go with standard 1-10 and hope it does well with the Berger's? </div></div>

FYI The new heavygun 1000Y benchrest 10 shot group record was just broken a month or so ago with....300WSM and Berger 210's.A 2.8" group IIRC ? Stay with your long action and have the new barrels throat set for maximum length bullet seating.

I personally watched the 10 shot light gun record set before my very eyes.I was pulling targets for him.Guess what he was shooting ?... 300WSM and 210's!

"FYI The new heavygun 1000Y benchrest 10 shot group record was just broken a month or so ago with....300WSM and Berger 210's.A 2.8" group IIRC ? Stay with your long action and have the new barrels throat set for maximum length bullet seating."

The only problem with setting the throat long (If it is one)is you lose about 200 rounds of barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"FYI The new heavygun 1000Y benchrest 10 shot group record was just broken a month or so ago with....300WSM and Berger 210's.A 2.8" group IIRC ? Stay with your long action and have the new barrels throat set for maximum length bullet seating."

The only problem with setting the throat long (If it is one)is you lose about 200 rounds of barrel life.

</div></div>

How's that ? As far as I know barrel throat life is related to such things as... pressure/heat,velocity and neck length of the cartridge.

A longer throat will enable less pressure/heat for a given velocity all other things being equal thus lengthening throat life ???