• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

time to retire the .308??

Re: time to retire the .308??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bet you listen to rap too. </div></div>

Might this be an "awkward" silence?

Bless your heart.</div></div>

Lol someone struck a nerve Livin, beautiful pictures non the less.

DAD_9228.jpg

That's a cool shot!

Are you talking military service or competition?

If you are shooting comps in most cases you get to choose, in that case you may retire it if you so desire.

In comps that require the 308, it's like one design racing is sailboats or Moto2 is motorcycle racing. Everyone has a spec to build to, do with it what you can, and in open classes like F-open, bring anything under .35 cal/22 lbs. If you can stand to shoot it for a 20 shot string then let it roll.

The military, well as a long range sniper rifle Big Green is using the 300WM (not exactly a new cambering either) over the 338LM due to cost considerations. For a battle rifle with mass produced ammo, the 308Win/7.62NATO does the job as well as anything out there and the world is set up to make the bullets.

Change for the sake of change is not a good idea. In the real world change for a % improvement that is only seen at the competitive level and not in the mass produced M80 ball type ammo level is not productive; and on top of that, for military purposes the 7.62 was effectively retired as the primary issue weapon 30 or so yrs ago with the adoption of the 5.56.

So, exactly what retirement is it that is proposed?

Well I think everyone should do what they want, and live with the results.

The thing about the .308 is that it has never been the "best" at anything. It's slightly less powerful than the .30-06 it replaced, and not as flat shooting as the 7mm that the Brits tried to talk us Yanks into going with.... and yet if you can only have one rifle in North America, the only thing that competes in terms of readily available ammo from the full quality spectrum, known load data, and just all around performance, the only other choice IMHO would be a .30-06. And honestly, anything that the .308 can do, the '06 can do better.

Luckily, however, this is America. Who the hell only has one rifle in this country?!

As far as retiring the 7.62 NATO for frontline military use? That would be a big NEGATIVE. 5.56 will be leaving us one of these days, and only fifty or sixty years too late, but 7.62 and .50BMG both occupy the same category : "never needs replacement." They are perfectly dialed in, they chew through things like masonry -which tends to kick the 5.56's ass-, they do the job well enough that the small gains of switching them out don't come close to matching the headaches that the switch would cause.

It's a bit like switching to DVORAK keyboards or the metric system. It ain't really broken, so why fix it?

And yes, I'm sticking by the 5.56 is a dead cartridge walking. The Army wants a new toy to play with like the 6.8SPC while the Marine Corps would probably just go back to the 7.62 to streamline the logistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bet you listen to rap too. </div></div>

Lol someone struck a nerve Livin, beautiful pictures non the less. </div></div>

Diablo simply felt compelled to flaunt her stupidity and you may have a point,in that it did un-nerve her...as she got quiet quick.

I have a .300 and a .308 and the .300 is way more gun but it is also twice the cost to shoot. I think for most people the .308 is not only a perfect caliber for long range steel but also a very good alround hunting round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kreidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DAD_9228.jpg

That's a cool shot! </div></div>

Curiously enough,none of the girls could ID any of them.

Though that do add to the humor.

Guys The military should all go to the 6.5x47 in an AR platform and in their sniper rifles and the belt fed machine guns. This would create world piece and it would create piece on the hide.:)

No: Then everyone would think we should all shoot the 6.5x300 WBY. just think of all the jobs it would create making all those barrels.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys The military should all go to the 6.5x47 in an AR platform and in their sniper rifles and the belt fed machine guns. This would create world piece and it would create piece on the hide.:) </div></div>

"Piece" twice is indeed PRICELESS and quite a treat.

Wow.

Barrel life is what someone told me not long past to this exact question.

oops peace auto spell check don't leave home without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 152</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel life is what someone told me not long past to this exact question. </div></div>

Dyslexic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Easily Done</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Diablo said:
Bet you listen to rap too. </div></div>

Lol someone struck a nerve Livin, beautiful pictures non the less. </div></div>

Had to turn in last night (must work for a living) -- hate to have missed the fun.

Nice pictures!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bet you listen to rap too. </div></div>

Keep rappin' FanBoy.

You idiots crack me up!

DAD_9703.jpg

DAD_9681.jpg

DAD_9228.jpg

A-Righter.jpg

What do you do with all seven of the dollars you make an hour?!!?

Laffin!' </div></div>

Is that a K-Hornet on the left?

I actually still like the 30-06, gives you a slight edge over 308 but 308 gets her done just fine, always has.

Lot of snipers would probably agree with that.

Are there better and more accurate rounds? Sure..

And millions of dollars getting procurement, contracts, tooling, dies, reloading ...

Everyone is standardized on the .308, it's like a Chevy 350 - good old workhorse...

There are always going to be new wildcat rounds...

No, she is a keeper. I will buy something else, but this stays with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the newer rounds produced outperforming the old workhorse by a good margin, who thinks its time to list her in the vintage section? Why not catch up with the times, afterall, banging steel doesn't require a lot of kinetic energy right? For those that have to deal with two way ranges, well.....different topic entirely. </div></div>
Considering the 308 out performs the '06, maybe you just need a new rifle, in 308 of course. Like this one here?
265705-R1-22-23.jpg

I love my .308, and my .30-06
Gotta have one, when SHTF, you can find all the 6mmBR ammo in the... oh wait.

308 and its off spring all have same issue
piss poor case design

Best thing that happened to 308 was SLR, fixed case issues.
Simple run thru FL die done deal, unlike AI case shoulder reformed and pushed back. So shoulder angle corrected and neck lengthen.

But as a whole 308 just suks ass, if you plan for SHTF then brass etc non issue and weak excuse to shoot substandard round.
Yep SUBSTANDARD there its been said
Even the Mil is looking and playing with other rounds ie USMC 6.5x47
Commonly accepted 308 is not best of breed for 1k sniper, in fact its not even rated to 1k by any service. Slice n dice anyway ya want 308 is piss poor solution to needs of Mil marksman.
http://www.snipercompany.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7617
more info

Why don't we just retire the 45 ACP, 44 mag, and 357 mag while we're at it. Man, lay off the crackpipe before posting.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
might as well retire the 12 ga, 30/30, and .45 acp too.
death, taxes, and the .308 </div></div>

should have added the .22lr, .357, and 44 mag.

If ballistics means squat then yes i,m on crack
Fact
My 20" x47 will shoot inside a hot 155 from 26" 308
hmmm
26" barrel n can is wot 32 or so
for summit i can do from a 20"

really be funny and suggest your 308 will even come close from a 20" barrel
NOws who hittin da crack pipe
Ballistics programs are great tools

work smarter not dumber
never seen a fast 6/6.5 driver yearn for a 308
ponder that as ya suk on ya pipe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7-08 my 162BTHP hornadys leave at 2780fps. Only 6.2min of wind at 1000yards and is still at 1000fps at the 1 mile mark and still stable at that range. Doing it all on 47.2g of H4350.

ONce through the full size resizer and your 308 brass is 7-08 brass.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

I punched in your data.. on the JBM and it came up 9.6 MOA at 1K.

What several cartridges "produce" good barrel life when compared to the .308? I don't know of one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on if you reload. Someone raises this question every now and then, in some form or another. Generaly speaking, most agree a 308 should be apart of ones arsenal.

In terms of competition, everyone is always looking for a piece of equipment that will help them perform better. There are now several cartridges that both "fly" better than the ole 308 and produce good barrel life, have a wide range of quality components for reloading, very good inherent accuracy, etc. One just has to look at the leader board on basically any tactical competition, the 308 is usually nowhere to be found. So, in regards to competitive tactical shooting, yes there are several "better" rounds and if you want to be a contender, you have a better chance with a 243, or 6.5 variant. </div></div>

Bell bottoms, straight leg, hip huggers, relaxed fit.... What's ever in style.

My 308's, I drive just fine. Other calibers can, and will preform better, I am just to lazy to reload em. Played with the 6.5's a few years back, and had no complaints. Not to savvy on the 243's, and 7mm though.

All in all, I am most comfortable with firing solutions within the 308.

I believe the technology in weaponizing, is not in the gun itself, I think it's in the ammo. By the time we solve this debate, all ammo as we see it today, will be obsolete. "Scotty, Charge up that plasma ray, and no, I don't need a wind call".

Cheers, Jim

I have way too many 308 casings to ever consider retiring my 308. There may be some that are a little better but not enough for me to start over with all years of reloading the venerable 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasjim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bell bottoms, straight leg, hip huggers, relaxed fit.... What's ever in style. </div></div>

Yes, to this. I kinda like what Jim said and the analogy he used.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the .308 is the end all, be all. That simply isn't true. But I know for a fact that it does the job (that I need it to do) and it has no qualms doing that job phenomenally. I don't need to shoot the beak off a hummingbird at 1,100 yards. More power to those of you who do.
wink.gif

That said, you go ahead and rock your slim fit, straight legged, nut huggers.
I'm gonna kick back and chill out with my relaxed fit jeans.
cool.gif

It's like folks who say I shouldn't pack a .38 snub or 9mm for my CHL gun. I always tell them, "tell ya what, you let me shoot you in the head with mine, and if you walk away, I'll change to something else".

Newer, faster, more power, etc., doesn't always mean jack. Some rounds have a proven history and that piece of paper yer shootin, or that deer, or that scumbag aren't going to ask what caliber you're shootin when they're getting a hold punched in them.