• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timmey Trigger 501t

richidaho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
Blackfoot, ID
Completed my Remington SA 700 .308 build with a Tubb precision speedlock firing pin/spring and a Timmy 510 in a AI 1.5 stock last December. Have had a few issues with the trigger. When set at 1.5-2 lbs will drop the hammer when closing the bolt sometimes. So, I have had to set the trigger pull at 2.5+ lbs which is OK but a bit heaver then I would like. What I'm asking is would the Timmey 501t work in my current setup. Would it fit in the stock and would it work with the Tubb speedlock system.

Thanks,

Rich L

I am curious too about something like this. I tried setting the one in my 223 to 1.5 lbs and had the exact same accidental firing when I closed the bolt. Now I honestly don't remember how I resolved that issue.

It is likely due to low sear engagement. When adjusting weight, usually sear must be adjusted as well. Can be a bit taxing with all the assembly and disassembly but can work reliably.

Best thing to do is work from barreled action and FORCEFULLY work bolt 10-15 times to see if it will slam fire on bolt close. If it does, increase sear engagement and try again.

Well I might have got the answer for my own question. Just after posting this question I went to David Tubb's web sight. It now says in parentheses that the speedlock system can not be used with a Timmy trigger. I don't think it said that when I bought the item. I do happen to have a Brownells firing pin assembly and I'm going to go try that. Looks like it might be a wast of $60 on the Tubb's speedlock.

Yes, Remington 700 SA. Brownells firing pin assembly did the same thing as the Tubb's firing pin and spring setup.:(

Last edited:
Timmey Trigger 501t

Its almost certainly due to sear engagement being too low with low spring tension. IIRC, when I adjusted my Timney, I had to increase spring tension slightly and decrease sear engagement. This will make trigger break crisp (less creep/slack) and even slightly heavier pull will be perceived as "lighter". As spring tension decreases, you may need more sear engagement. Refer to your instructions for which screws control sear vs weight. Ended up setting mine to 2lbs 1oz as it was " safe" at that level.

Personally, I'm not a fan of super light triggers for multipurpose rifles. If you operate rifle in cold or with gloves, having 1.5 lb trigger may be troublesome as you may not be able to feel trigger pressure prior to firing.

As a side note, double and triple check that ALL parts of trigger assembly (safety latch, trigger, pins, etc) are completely clear of all stock material. A small portion of my trigger safety latch and lower trigger pin were touching stock ever so slightly and caused bump fires and issues resetting trigger.

Last edited: