• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Timney Calvin Elite Trigger for Remmy 700????

Shooter_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Long Island, New York
Hey all, I was browsing Timney's website just now, looking to buy another trigger set and came across the "Calvin Elite" trigger they carry. Now, what exactly is making this trigger unit $75 more than the already proven 510 trigger??? Just curious.

The Calvin Elites can be tuned to a much lower pull weight and they are much more consistent when measured with a pull gauge.

I believe the trigger shoe is narrower and smooth surfaced. I have a CE and love it.

If one of you folks would like to offset the price of your CE, just send me a PM... I'll buy your 510 at a reasonable price. :)

Now, what exactly is making this trigger unit $75 more than the already proven 510 trigger??? Just curious.

Different design which makes it even more consistent for pull weight than the regular 510. The trigger is more conventional rather than the integral "shoe" that the 510 has as well as a more comfortable angle on the trigger for using chassis, thumbhole, or large pistol grip integrated into the stock (like McMillan A-5, etc).

There is also a little side play in the trigger itself that, for me, helps minimize any lateral movement that pulling the trigger might induce in your rifle.

I have two 510's and now a new 510 CE. The build I'm starting will have a CE, no question. Timney will set them down to 8 ounces when you order from them or any other pull weight you specify. I ordered mine at 8 oz and it actually cut my group sizes on the same loads.

Well worth the extra $$ and in typical Timney fashion, far easier to maintain in a crappy environment. Timney suggests you just hose it out with "white gas" (their words) but I just carry a can of lighter fluid. A piece of windshield wiper hose or plastic tubing will let you reach in and blow it out with "lung pressure".

Ive been a Jewell guy for years. Being left hand I was surprised Timney came out with a left hand trigger. I paid $166 and just install it in my Bat tactical action. The rifle isn't complete as of yet but I love the trigger. Its very crisp and goes down to 8oz. Very impressed and I would recommend one in a heart beat.

I'm running one in my primary match rifle in a Bighorn action from early 2012.

The first CE that I got was defective, took some 'splainin' to the folks at Timney and I was rewarded with a new trigger and a second tootsie-pop.

The trigger is set to 12 ounces right now, I can get it a bit lighter without slam fire problems but I'm not sure I want to do that. I've been extremely happy with it, the trigger it replaced was a unicorn of a 511U that would safely break at 1lb 2 ounces instead of the advertised 1.5lb

I've shot it back to back with a buddy's Jewel that's set somewhere in the same range and other than the tiniest bit of difference in pull weight I can't tell a difference between the two triggers however my wallet can.

Is there an issue with the bolt release on the Calvin? I'm looking to put a right hand safety, no bolt release on a Stiller Tac338.

Is there an issue with the bolt release on the Calvin? I'm looking to put a right hand safety, no bolt release on a Stiller Tac338.

The Bolt Release is the same as on the 510 or stock Remington triggers. Takes a little tweaking to make it work right but if you follow the instructions it's no big deal.

I found that I could cure all the frustration with my bolt stop by removing it then "lapping" the sides using some uber fine Wet/Dry on a plate of glass. The OEM part is stamped and usually not straight. By "lapping" it slides more freely in the slot which is part of the problem to begin with.

It took me about two minutes to get the release adjusted properly on the new CE when I installed it.

I was more concerned if I could remove the bolt release from the Calvin because the Stiller action has a side bolt release.

I have only ever owned factory triggers, but I installed the Timney CE on my .308...made a world of difference for me. I'm coming form the military where I didn't do a lot of work on my rifle (only what they would allow me to do) and I'm getting into the competition world right now. I started messing with my Remington .308 to try and make it a little more accurate and with this trigger and a new stock I've got my groups down to one little hole at 100 yards. Even out to 1000 yards the rifle is shooting better. I have better feel in the Timney trigger and it breaks clean every time at just about 1 pound. I'm glad I spent the money to get this trigger.