• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney Rem 700 Calvin Elite 2 Stage

Diesel64

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
I have an opportunity to pick one of these up for $145 shipped to upgrade my stock Remington trigger.

I was originally thinking of getting a trigger tech primary or special, but the deal on the Timney seems to good to pass up.

Thoughts? Timney 2stage or wait on a triggertech

Thanks!

I have both and prefer the Timney 2 stage CE. The break is not nearly as crisp as a Trigger Tech. It isn't bad, just not as crisp. I just prefer the 2 stage trigger. I seem to shoot a little better with it over a single stage. If Trigger Tech would make a 2 stage with that super crisp break on the second stage, it would be perfection in my book.

That's a great price, I would suggest getting it, they are user adjustable.
I have one on my custom competition rifle and really like it, better then the Huber, but not quite as good as my TRG's.
JMHO.
Scott

Last edited:
I installed a Timney CE 2 stage trigger in my GAP Rock 308. It isn't as good as the 2 stage in my AI AW but it's a good trigger for the price. To me it doesn't feel like a true 2 stage trigger, it's difficult to describe, but it works well and I'm leaving it in my GAP 308 even though I could go back to the GA tuned stock trigger if I want to.

what is the benefit of a two stage trigger?

The 2 stage trigger allows you to load the trigger and get to the wall of the 2nd stage without any concern of breaking the shot. Many shooters like this feature as you can get your finger on the trigger as you settle into your reticle placement and prepare to break the shot. The weight of the 1st stage gives you the tactile feedback that you in the "safe" 1st stage. Typically, 2 stage triggers have a higher total trigger pull weight, but the perceived weight of the 2nd stage doesn't feel as heavy because you are already holding the weight of the 1st stage.

You can absolutely do the same thing with a single stage trigger, it just requires the discipline to place the finger on the trigger without putting much if any weight on it. This is especially important if you have a single stage trigger with a light trigger pull weight.

Watch other shooters (particularly with light trigger pull weights), I bet you'll see at least one who does a "touch and go" on the trigger several times as they settle in to their final pre-shot position. In a PRS style event, that is wasted time and I would bet they'd get on target faster and break a shot with a 2 stage trigger if they are so tentative with a single stage.

It's a personal preference, the bullet doesn't know the difference.

The 2 stage trigger allows you to load the trigger and get to the wall of the 2nd stage without any concern of breaking the shot. Many shooters like this feature as you can get your finger on the trigger as you settle into your reticle placement and prepare to break the shot. The weight of the 1st stage gives you the tactile feedback that you in the "safe" 1st stage. Typically, 2 stage triggers have a higher total trigger pull weight, but the perceived weight of the 2nd stage doesn't feel as heavy because you are already holding the weight of the 1st stage.

You can absolutely do the same thing with a single stage trigger, it just requires the discipline to place the finger on the trigger without putting much if any weight on it. This is especially important if you have a single stage trigger with a light trigger pull weight.

Watch other shooters (particularly with light trigger pull weights), I bet you'll see at least one who does a "touch and go" on the trigger several times as they settle in to their final pre-shot position. In a PRS style event, that is wasted time and I would bet they'd get on target faster and break a shot with a 2 stage trigger if they are so tentative with a single stage.

It's a personal preference, the bullet doesn't know the difference.

Thanks for the explanation.

How about get the great deal, try it, you could PROBABLY sell it for the price you paid, so no harm, Or use it till the trigger tech becomes available then sell.

OTM Tactical has the timney 2 st CE on sale for like $169.