• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney Trigger 3lb replacement opinions

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
Looking at a Timney 3lb trigger to replace my original factory trigger in a Windham Varminter Exterminator .223/5.56

Trigger gauge shows 5-6 lbs on factory trigger.

The rifle is for target and varmints.

Currently shoots about moa to moa +... with handload ammo out to 600yds.

Any one currently use this trigger with success?

Mike

ps:

Scope is a Non Parallax Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte.
So there is possibility the MOA + is caused by different sight pic if my eye is not centered same position each shot

Last edited:
Also look at the Geissele SSA or SSA-E deepening on how light you want the let off. I really like the SSA-E on my AR's.

Really like the CMC straight bow two stage. There are several places making great triggers for ARs now. It all just depends on your personal preferences.

I've used both the flat(er) bow and skeletonized 3lb Timneys as well as the JP and Wilson 3G single stage triggers. If you're looking for a single stage unit I personally feel Timney is the best, regardless of the trigger bow you choose. I had a hard time choosing between Timneys and JP, but the Timney I picked up was only $165 - far less than the JP - and likely the only reason I went that route.

In my experience, Timneys lock up the tightest. Absolutely zero take up and over travel. Mine breaks crisp at 2.85lbs on my digital pull scale, super fast reset, and very easy to install. You won't be disappointed if you're used to the std 5-6 lb factory triggers!

I mostly use Geissele triggers now days but I have one rifle with the 3lb Timney in it.
It pulls at 3.25lbs, I originally had a 4lb Timney but sent it back to the factory when it measured 4.75lbs.
They replaced it with a 3lb-er.
I can live with 3.25 but not 4.75.
I liken this single stage pull much like a crisp 1911.

I have the Timney 3# in my AR15 Recce any its nice and crisp. I also have the SSA-E in my precision AR10 but wouldnt like that 2 stage in my AR15.

I have JP triggers in two of my 3G rifles. One thing to remember about JP triggers, is that they use standard ar geometry. This means that they still have to overcome hammer spring tension and they will have some creep due to the sear sliding out of the hammer slot. This can not be avoided with this type of trigger. I am not dumping on the JP at all, like I said, I have two of them. It is hard for a trigger with standard geometry to hang with triggers that have been totally redesigned. That's why I mentioned the personal preference in the first post. On my shoot n loot 3G rifles I have single stage, but my CM long range rifle has the CMC two stage, and I like it pretty good. It also helps when all you have to do is, push out the pins, drop the unit in, put the pins back in, and go shoot.

MOA+ could be a bag full of things! what rounds ya shooting and what twist barrel does it have? MOA to MOA+ at 600 yds is not that bad! ?

Here's my results with 24.0 Grains of TAC.

Rifle = Windham Varmint Exterminator 20inch 1x8 twist
Bullets 77 SMK and 75 Hornady with cannelure
CCI 41 Primers
LC13 Brass once fired fullsized
Distance 400 yards
Bipod with rear bag support
80Degrees
Calm winds
77 SMK COL 2.26
75 HC COL 2.25
Note: groups might have been little tighter as I mosquitoes were swarming my face, neck, arms

77 SMK = 6 inch grouping
75 Hornady = 7 inch grouping

Also load ARComp 22.0 , IMR 8208 22.4, 2000MR 25.3

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/images/attach/jpg.gif

Last edited:
I say Timney drop in and do not look back just hang on to your old one and drop it down under 3 lbs just a tad! You will be happy!