• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Timney Trigger a worth the time upgrade?

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
Looking for a durable, crisp adjustable trigger for a hunting rifle. Is the Timney a good trigger? Also, straight or curved?

I just got one, It's nice. Easily ajustable and the improved safety mechanism is a bonus. The trigger shoe feels about as wide as the trigger guard itself, but I like that.

The only thing I dislike are the 'ribs' on the trigger are too shallow and it effectively feels smooth.

Absolutely love my straight shoe Timney. The factory X Mark was tuned up and light enough but not consistant so I tried the Timney and don't regret it at all. And it takes about 20 minutes to change and adjust.

I just picked up the 517 (straight shoe) from Timney, I haven't installed it yet but from what I can tell now I will love it.

Not saying anything that anyone hasn't already, but Timney makes great products. I switched to the Timney from a jewel due to reliability issues and couldn't have been more happy. Perfect hunting/tactical trigger as mine broke crisply at 3.5 lbs. Love that wide shoe as well.

I have since switched both my guns to dual stage triggers, a CG extreme in place of the Timney. While the cg extreme has had the best feel, consistency, break out of all the triggers I have ever shot. The Timney is still 2nd on my list of favorites due to the price and all around value/quality.

I had a Timney on my AR that I HATED so very much, so I. A little biased against the name. But on a 700 I bet it's just fine. As it were I'm a big Dan of 2-stage triggers now.

The X-Mark pro in my 700 was complete rubbish. It was the most inconsistent trigger I've every had on a gun. I replaced mine with a Timney 510 and have been more than pleased with the result.

that is an absolutely necessary upgrade. I hated that damn x mark pro trigger. I wish I would've done it sooner!

BTW Brownells has Timney triggers for Rem 700s on sale this month.

Timney all the way ,now I did have one issue with one that slam fired I had them set it at 1.5lbs I called Timney ,great customer service, turns out the sear was set too low. I got it back that trigger brakes like glass at 2lbs. I will buy Timney for all my upgrades, by the way x mark pro is crap I had three all together tried to adjust had a smith clean one out set a different spring still didn't feel like a Timney.

definitely something i am going to pick up. i adjusted the factory remmy 700 trigger to a lighter pull. breaks real nice. but after reading this and other reviews sounds like something that is needed to get a much better break.

My 700 is one of the Dick's specials ADLs. It turns out that the x-mark trigger on that one is NOT the x-mark pro. It is an entry level non-adjustable x-mark made for that low cost series. I tried to live with it, but it is truly inconsistent, breaking clean on one shot only to be followed with a break so gritty and hard that I thought a handful of sand had magically appeared in the trigger group.

Very happy with the Timney 517 (straight shoe) I replaced it with.

I picked up 2 last month. Both at 2 lbs. I ordered them with the narrow shoe, no extra charge. They're very nice.

xdeano

Had a Timney #517 (Flat Trigger) and loved it. Got rid of the Rem700 but I would get another one. Adjusted down to 1lb which is plenty low for my needs.

Go Jewell or go home!

Home it is, hahaaha just kidding, I like Jewel they break like glass too and have some serious adjustment I just wish they offered a wide trigger shoe, I have some fat hands and fatter fingers and that thin trigger shoe just isn't cutting it.

Timney's are great, that used to be my first or second upgrade depending on the stock... but that X-Mark Pro can be good to with a spring upgrade and just a little minor tuning.

Remington M-700 X-Mark Pro Adjustable HunterTrigger Spring

Thanks for the tip.
Best $7 I've spent so far. I could set it as low as 1.5 lbs but I left it at 2; I may hunt with this rifle.
I have a Timney 510 in my .260 and while it is nice (set to 1.75 lbs, consistent, nice break) I did not want to spend another $130 on my AAC-SD build.

Joe

It is absolutely worth the time and the money!

I have 2 (curved), 1 for a CZ 455 and one on a 700. I am very happy with both.

I love my Timney....I have 2 currently, with another one on a rifle currently being built.

I swapped the factory trigger for a 2.5lb Timney on my Weatherby 22-250, and couldn't be any happier.

It was an easy swap I did myself in 5 minutes. Made all the difference in the world.

Timney is definitely a worthy upgrade. A lot of folks in our club run them (mainly flat trigger models).
I don't personally like the wide shoe, and will stick with my Jewell's.
If I had to pick between hopped up factory Xmark and a Timney, I'd do Timney in a heartbeat though.

I upgraded my 700 factory trigger to the Jewell. It is so sweet.
Put it in myself without any difficulty. And you do not need a brass hammer.
The Jewell comes set at 1lb. pull but can be adjusted to ounces less.
As I do not carry my gun to hunt and shoot off the bench at the range I would not want more than 1lb of pull.
Even with all the dust here in South Texas this trigger functions flawlessly.

They're pretty sweet. I love mine. You won't go wrong with it.

i had same results, my xmark was very inconsistant. just got to shoot with the timney this weekend and loved it!! i bought the straight shoe set at 2lbs.

I have 4 Timney Triggers all set at 1-1/2 pounds. Improved accuracy due to consistant trigger pull. Had an issue with one of them and was able to get the Plant Manager on the phone and he walked me through the fix. Good people, good product, good value!

Timney is awesome and has some of the best CS I have ever experienced. Keep in mind that if it's for a 700 you'll need a longer sear than they normally install, which is the cause of a lot of slamfires/light primer strikes. I sent mine back in to get the new sear, and they sent it back repackaged with a thank you note and a tootsie roll pop! Sometimes it's the little things that a business does to show that they appreciate their customers that goes a long way. The trigger rocks too.