• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney Trigger

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Look what showed up today:

100_6889_small.jpg

Review and more pics:
http://www.8541tactical.com/timney_review.php

Straight from Brownells the trigger is set at around 3 lbs. On the Lyman digital gauge it varies a couple of ounces here and there, but I am not entirely sure it's not the angle of the pull or variances in where the gauge rests on the trigger. The average over ten pulls was 3lbs 4oz.

The trigger bow is considerably wider than the pre-2006 Remington trigger. It's also flat across it's face instead of convex like the factory piece.

The 510 does not re-use the factory bolt release or safety. It comes ready to roll. Just pop out the pins, swap triggers and drive the pins back in. That's all it takes.

The feel is excellent. There is no take up and only a slight bit of over travel. It actually feels very much like the way my factory trigger was setup. Some may look at the over travel as a bad thing. On the contrary. Over travel in these type of triggers is necessary to allow for dirt clearance.

I generally prefer a wide trigger bow, but in this case I feel Timney may actually be going overboard. Still the trigger is narrow enough that the trigger guard can still do it's job.

The safety lever is not as smooth as the factory trigger, but it is positive and still "flicks" into position just like the factory piece. The Timney 510 safety is a "trigger block" safety. This means when the safety is engaged it prevents the trigger from releasing the sear. This is different from the factory 700 triggers. On the factory Remington trigger the safety lifts the sear off of the trigger connector and prevents it from releasing the striker. The disadvantage of this design is that if the trigger becomes fouled and the connector sticks in the "fired" position, when you release the safety the weapon will discharge without the trigger being pulled. This issue caused some changes in the Remington 700 trigger and safety over the years and is all but eliminated with the X-Mark.

You may notice that I keep comparing this trigger to the factory pre-2006 Remington trigger. The truth of the matter is the feel of the original Remington 700 trigger is excellent. When properly adjusted to a prudent pull weight with the correct sear engagement and over travel, the Remington trigger is more than adequate for any tactical match rifle. The problem occurs when someone monkeys with the trigger or they are not properly cleaned. I would have a hard time replacing a properly functioning pre-2006 trigger.

The pre-2006 triggers are GONE. Only models coming from Remington's custom shop can be had with the old 40X trigger and to my knowledge no models still use the standard pre-2006 Remington trigger. The vast majority of the 700s from Remington are shipped with a variant of their new X-Mark trigger. Even the 700P LTR now comes with the X-Mark Pro Adjustable trigger. The X-Mark is a completely different trigger that was designed to address the safety issues with the original 700. At the same time for some reason they decided to change the trigger to a narrow and smooth face. Many of us who cut our teeth on the old 700 don't care for the new version. The X-mark also does not take well to adjustments. My 700 shipped with an X-Mark. The pull was over 5 lbs. I adjusted it to 3 lbs. but the trigger would not keep a consistent pull. Many other shooters have reported the same issue.

If your rifle comes with a X-Mark or your factory trigger is experiencing issues, then the Timney is a great option. Remington does not authorize it's factory armorer's to adjust the trigger assembly on the 700. So for those professionals who would like a better trigger pull, replacing their factory trigger with the Timney may be a viable option.

I will update this as we get some rounds downrange and some dirt and water into this trigger. THAT is the true test of a tactical trigger and where many other "match" triggers fail.

Re: Timney Trigger

Good choice in trigger. I have one on my 300 WM. It's a joy to shoot compared to the older version of Remy trigger.

Has anyone experienced any malfunctions with this trigger?

If so, was is as set from the factory or was it "tuned" after the fact? What pull weight was it set at when it malfunctioned?

What type of malfunction? Did it result in a discharge?

So far the only issue I have heard with them was where the safety jammed on "fire" in an AICS. I believe that may have just been an issue with not enough clearance in the inlet of the chassis.

No problems with mine except for the clearance issue which you mentioned. It's set at 2.5lbs and is approaching 1K rounds without a malfunction.

I put 56 rounds downrange with it on our training day Monday. It functioned perfectly. No perceptible change in pull weights.

The wider trigger bow is not as distracting as I thought it would be. I didn't really notice it after the first couple of shots.

Obviously 56 rounds is not enough to say that this is "the" trigger or not. But it was enough through three of our qualification courses to OK the trigger for the street.

I will add more when I get a chance to get it filthy and wet.

I have three myself with a couple hundred round on each . Two are set @ 1.5 lbs and the third is set @ 2.5 lbs. No issues so far .

Fitted one last week to a .223 LTR I'll be using for McQueens. Put a box of 30 55gn RG through it on the ay and no probs so far.

I'm impressed enough to be considering one for the Howa next and in my current financial situation, thats saying something!

I just installed one on my 700 in an AICS. The only problem I ran into is the safety pin (nearest pin to the USA mark). The pin pokes out too much and hits the chassis before engaging. Had to grind the pin flush with the trigger housing. Not sure why it didn't come like that from the factory.

I picked up a Timney for Remmy 700 at Midway USA's in house sale last year, cheap. Now all I need to do is get something to put it in.

Great review ordered me a left handed one yesterday. See how it is when I get it.

I have had the same one on a couple of different rifles with probably around 4k rounds total and have not had any problems. I have it set at 1.5-2 lbs.

Great trigger.

jwsnydes, check this LINK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just ordered one, then found this thread.. will have to see how it goes on my XCR compact tactical </div></div>

Anything would be an improvment over the factor x-mark trigger. You will like the Timney. The wide shoe may take a little getting used to, but it grows on you.

hmm.. Timney's website is weird.. I didnt get a confirmation email for my order and no one from the sales email has responded.. no debit on the credit card either.. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">if the order didnt go through and I dont get an email response looks like Ill be going Jewell!</span>

Aussie,

If you're concerned just email them. I had excellent service from Timney- especially through email communications.

They are great people to work with.

Mine came in 2 days ago. I finally get to use it today. I should have replaced my xmark when I bought the rifle. Not to mention it only took about 2 minutes or less to install the trigger.

Wow.. that was fast turnaround from Timney - replied that the order did go through and is shipping today.. quietly eating my words! Email lost into oblivion, though. Not a spam filter issue. Gmail is good with that stuff so I guess it never was sent.

installed mine on the weekend - had <span style="font-style: italic">no idea</span> what I was doing (which is half the fun) but I managed to install the thing rather quickly. Only issue I had was a dam spring that popped out (as forewarned in the instructions) and that took some mucking around.. if I had to put one in again it'd take 5% of the time it took with no clue but, overall, it was a painless install.

I didn't need to bend and fiddle with the bolt release either which was nice.

Such a nice trigger.. very crisp 1.5lb pull. I also was a little worried about the width after I ordered but it's not 'that' much wider and I actually quite like the feel of it.

Bravo Timney!~

I've had a Timney in my Remmy 700 since about 1992. Did have to file the stock a little as it was a bit tight of a fit in an HS Precison M-24 style LOP adj stock.Recall that it might have been the adj on the front of the trigger housing was longer than the stock trigger and bumped up against the aluminum bedding block in the stock.

Have shot thousands of rounds through this rifle and am on my second barrel. No malfucntions to report on the Timney.

Have it set at about 2.5Lbs. Can't remember the exact Lbs as I haven't measured it since installation.....

Really like the feel of it and yes the safety seemed a bit harder to manipulate at first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..Really like the feel of it and yes the safety seemed a bit harder to manipulate at first.
</div></div>

Really?
The safety on mine is very, very smooth. At least half the required force to engage and disengage than the standard 700 trigger.. I know that will make a difference once a shot is lined up in the field
wink.gif

Well I'm going on my memory of 20 years ago... and I can't even remember where I put my car keys today. LOL

Also, the trigger I installed did not come with the safety. Had to reuse the one off the Rem trigger which may account for the difference.

Yes I have one in my AR-10 and I absolutely love it. I hate a two stage trigger, when I pull the trigger I want the gun to fire, I hate pulling the and waiting and waiting and then bang. The timney is the best I have come across, its a little pricey but mine breaks at an average 3.2 lbs all day long.

I personally think Timney is the best single stage trigger out there. I have replaced quite a few jewells with them. It is nice to sell a used jewell to cover a new timney and have cash left over!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally think Timney is the best single stage trigger out there. I have replaced quite a few jewells with them. It is nice to sell a used jewell to cover a new timney and have cash left over!!</div></div>

that speaks volumes right there lol