• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney trigger

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
My rem 700. Going to get a timney. I do mostly target but hunt with it also. What is the min trigger weight you would take hunting? Just curious. 1.5lb?

Awesome. Glad I asked. Will go to 2lbs and start there. Thanks guys. Now for my mcmillan to just get here

I've taken to only bolting a round in when I am on a stalk or I if think someting might happen fast. Otherwise I keep the chamber empty. I still treat the gun as loaded at all times. I was having an issue with my Rem 700 of the safety getting knocked to the firing position. Also, sometimes the bolt would lift a bit because it does not lock down. Just an added layer of safety.

I've taken to only bolting a round in when I am on a stalk or I if think someting might happen fast. Otherwise I keep the chamber empty. I still treat the gun as loaded at all times. I was having an issue with my Rem 700 of the safety getting knocked to the firing position. Also, sometimes the bolt would lift a bit because it does not lock down. Just an added layer of safety.

Yup. Was tracking and twice the safety flipped to fire. This was yesterday hunting. Glad I check the safety all the time.

Also, with the Calvin elite, that model doesn't say that it has a safety? Assuming the factory safety still works? Or should I not get the elite and get the one with the timney safety? That mean I would have 2 safety's?

Yup. Was tracking and twice the safety flipped to fire. This was yesterday hunting. Glad I check the safety all the time.

Also, with the Calvin elite, that model doesn't say that it has a safety? Assuming the factory safety still works? Or should I not get the elite and get the one with the timney safety? That mean I would have 2 safety's?

Yea the safety on the Rem 700 is a bad design in my opinion for a hunting rifle. Proper safety discipline is the best mitigator....

On my Timney the safety is part of the trigger assembly. I can’t remember if that was the original that I mated up or if it came complete. I recommend calling timney on that. They are very helpful and usually easy to get ahold of. Also if you don’t have a trigger weight guage they will set it to the weight you request. At least they did for me.

Hey guys we do PR for Timney. To answer your question, the safety is part of the trigger on all the Rem Model 700 triggers Timney offers, except for the benchrest.

Last edited:
I have two Remington 700 rifles and installed the Calvin Elite trigger on both. I can't say enough good about them. Both triggers have been on the rifles ever since they hit the market and I can't say enough good about them.

I have them both set to 12 ounces. I would not recommend them for anyone. Both rifles have KRG Whiskey 3 stocks and have been modified for precision shooting. With that said, I would not recommend that trigger for a rifle you're going to walk and stalk with.

On the other hand, if you are going to be doing some long range s hunting they would be just the thing you need.

Reactions: aljones_315
My 700 Timney Calvin elite has a safety. Unless they quit making it I am sure it’s still on their website. My favorite trigger.
Hunting I prefer 1.8-2 lb min. If I walked more and shoot on the go I will up it to maybe 2.5 max. I stalk hunt though so understand how you will use your weapon.

Also do a drop test on your trigger and check safety function after install.

I'm using several 517's on my R700's and Stiller actions. All of them have been set to 2.5 pounds at the factory. These rifles do PRS, hunting and all around range fun. I've never had a problem with any of them in the 7 or so years that I've been using them.

"Has any one else had a good experience with these triggers "

I have a 700P which I bought used, could not get the trigger to go under 3-1/2# no matter what (took it all apart, changed spring, etc, nothing helped). Finally broke down & got a Calvin Elite. Factory setting breaks at 10-12 oz (supposed to be 8 oz, maybe something particular to my rifle?) with no creep. Bounced it around, it doesn't let go, safety works fine, bolt release works fine, I am VERY happy.