• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

timney trigger !?

h2447intx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Angleton TX.
well i ordered mine today from midway ,, 510 rem 700 with safety ,, so who all is running this trigger and how much better is it than the fact rem x trigger

Re: timney trigger !?

I replaced the X-mark with one. I had adjusted the X-mark (internally, the adjustment on the shoe is useless) so they have about the same pull weight. The Timney is noticeably crisper with less creep and overtravel. The one thing I don't like about the Timney however is that the shoe is slightly loose on the trigger housing, allowing it to wobble a bit, even when on the rifle. The old style Remington triggers don't do this and have a comparable feel to the Timney in my opinion. I bought a 40-X trigger and will use that on my next build.

I run a couple Timney's and Rifle basix's, they are night and day better than a stock trigger. How is it better??? It has a quality feel and look to it the factory does not. The shoe is more robust and unlike the X mark I have not heard of any one snapping it off just taking the action out of the stock. I have mine all set at around 2.5 to 3 pounds. There is no over travel nor take up.

I have four x marks, only one of those is good feeling and brakes at 4 or so pounds. The others all very enough to be felt form one pull to the next. I will agree that they don’t have much if any over travel, but two of the four must be at least 7+ pounds at times.

I have two old style Remington triggers as well and still feel the Timney is better...

I love my Timney! Extremely crisp, no creep!

First time I pulled it I started giggling like a school girl.

it's even better than the x-mark pro! I too, giggled like a schoolgirl at the incredibly nice feel and the 2.5lb pull weight i set it to

if ordering one, you should get a trigger pull weight gage. Then you'll use it on all your guns and have a quantitative reason to replace all your triggers.

I run the 510 in my 700 set just below 2 lbs. It is far superior to the xmark series of triggers. You did good and will be happy, easy install too

I have 2 timneys. 1 at 24oz the other at 32 oz.
One factory remmy old style set at 32oz. Timneys by far better. I have not had a smith that can make the Remmy safe/feel good like the Timney. Tried a buddy's Jewel. Very Nice.....but not $100 nicer. Unless you're not of this world and can hold much better than most folks, I think you'd be happy w/ a Timney even in a match, hunting rig mute point, IMO.

ok thanks for the input ,, the factory x trigger i have on the sps is not bad ,, its set at about 2lbs but it no creep very little overtravle but it just seams that even at 2lbs its hard to pull i quess that is where the crisp part comes in im no pro on triggers just feals stiff or tight ,, ill get the timney on it and see how she feals ,,, looking to set at 2lbs or under

thanks guys worst case i can put it on another rifle

I had an X-mark pro, reasons I didn't like it, for the guy that asked. Advertised as set at 3lbs., it was significantly over five, the max amount of weight for my old trigger pull tester. Advertised as externally adjustable, adjustment screw had no noticeable effect. Internal screws led to function issues or a crummy feel and not significantly lower pull weight. I did like the shape of the shoe. And from the factory it was a very clean crisp, ridiculously hard pull. Might have warrantied it but by the time you pay shipping from AK you've about bought the Timney, Remington didn't get it right the first time they might not the second either.

Timney, easy install, set right where advertised, easily adjustable, crisp clean pull across weight range. Did have to clearance the factory SPS stock for it, did not have to do anything to put it in a B&C.

I adjusted the X-Mark on my R700, it's a crisp and clean 2.5lbs. It is the only part on the gun other than the action I haven't replaced, I'm very happy with it.

I did however put a Timney in my AR, significant improvement there. But still a bit of creep.

I have the X-Mark Pro and noticed an increase in pull after about 200 rounds. I oiled the trigger as illustrated in the Remington owners manual and noticed a definite improvement.

I also noticed a fair amount of dirt when I blew it out with compressed air. How that much dirt got in there is a mystery to me.

I agree that the trigger seems to have a limited adjustment range. I have it adjusted down all the way and find it acceptable for my limited talents.

I had my smith install and set at at 2.5 lbs in my 5R. I never tried to mess with the X-Mark trigger, it felt good though heavy, and all I've read suggests that it doesn't adjust down low consistantly. I have a Jewell in my custom rifle, and I wouldn't concider changing out the 510 for the Jewell, the 510 is plenty nice. Of course if someone gave me another Jewell...
You will be happy.

Just installed this same trigger on my rem700 It is a very very nice set up. You will notice the difference over the stock trigger immediately

Any opinions on the flat Timneys? I think I want one for my AX build but not sure if it shortens up the distance, which I don't need. I have an X Mark in mine and out of the stock it breaks about 2.5#'s but it the stock its closer to 5. Which i really don't know why it changes but it does and I don't like it. If anybody has a flat Timney in an AICS/AX could they post a pic?

The gunsmith had to trim a little metal out of my Rem 700 short action to install the Timney with the safety. He said he wouldnt have had to do that if I got the one without the safety (and apparently the old Rem safety can be used with the Timney model without the safety, so you still have a safety).

The Timney trigger was an upgrade will worth it because it can be set lighter than my Rem trigger.

Im glad you started this thread. Im thinking about ordering one for one of mine. I have adjusted mine in the meantime. I got the Factory Rem700 down to 3-3 1/2 lbs from 9lbs+ where It was set!!! I dont think a trigger pull should be heavier than the rifle itself, hunting rifle or not.

The only thing it still has some creep and little over travel and it is not very consistant on pull wt. all the time. It ranges from 3-3 1/2 lbs. Not a target trigger but by far better than the 9lb factory pull.

I have a CG Jackson on one of my builds and I like it but wish I would of went with a Jewel trigger instead. I had bolt release issues immediatly with the bolt release arm came loose and I could only release the bolt with a flat head screw driver, this is the 2nd time out shooting it this happened. Its kind of a pain in the ass to adjust too.

Im going to try one of the Timney triggers to see how it feels on one of my other Rem700's. I heard from so many people that you cant beat it for the price. I have one on one of my AR's and love it! Very crisp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gunsmith had to trim a little metal out of my Rem 700 short action to install the Timney with the safety. He said he wouldnt have had to do that if I got the one without the safety (and apparently the old Rem safety can be used with the Timney model without the safety, so you still have a safety). </div></div>

This doesn't seem right. A Timney 510 with safety installs in place of an x-mark pro with zero modification to the rifle. Push the pins out of the old one, ideally not all the way out of the action, push them back into the Timney, adjust bolt release. As I understand it the 510 is not meant for old style 700 triggers.

I like the Timneys because the wide shoe feels better to me as opposed to the Jewel's narrow and sharp edged shoe.
The stock and trigger combo's where I have interference problems, I just grind down the safety pin that protrudes out the left side of the trigger body. I grind the pin down to where it is flush when the safety is off.

Have 5 Timneys all set by them when purchased to 1.5lbs and have never had a problem out of any of them. Very crisp triggers. Cant go wrong and its a great investment if you like your gun to perform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This doesn't seem right. A Timney 510 with safety installs in place of an x-mark pro with zero modification to the rifle. Push the pins out of the old one, ideally not all the way out of the action, push them back into the Timney, adjust bolt release. As I understand it the 510 is not meant for old style 700 triggers. </div></div>The Timney 510 has a pin going through the trigger housing that's part of the safety. When safety is engaged, the pin is pushed quite a bit out of the left side of the trigger housing. Disengaging the safety will let that pin "move back" into the trigger housing. While this didn't affect function in the B&C Tac Medalist A5 stock, it did prevent me from engaging the safety in an AICS. (My solution for the AICS install was to file some material off the pin, instead of opening up the AICS.)