• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

jagged77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
England
Went to see this movie yesterday - what a flim! Superbly shot and some great acting (there's got to be some nominations for Gary Oldman for sure...) against the grim backdrop of the 70's and the cold war. James Bond it certainly isn't, no martini's or Aston Martins anywhere in sight! Gritty, nostalgic and realistic.

Seriously considering going and seeing it again. Fantastic 5/5

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Didn't even know it had been made into a movie, but then again, it's leaf season here and I don't get out much during silly season.

The book is a classic. I'm actually reading DeMille's The Charm School right now. It's been ages since I read a Cold War novel (I used to devour them). It's a fun and engaging read.

I'll look for the movie... thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Not sure its been released in the US yet. Anyway something to look forward to for sure. Here's the trailer:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aco15ScXCwA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aco15ScXCwA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Really impossible for me to believe anyone could have done more justice to Tinker Tailor or Smiley's People than was already done with Alec Guinness as George Smiley. The supporting cast in these miniseries' is just excellent also.

Pity that nobody ever made the finest of the Smiley stories into a film or miniseries. Talking about The Honourable Schoolboy. Gerry Westerby is The Ultimate LeCarre spy in the field.

If you are interested in the Cambridge 5, might look for Blount: The Fifth Man which details the Russian counter-espionage in even fuller detail. Pretty good story if you don't mind all the overt homosexuality. Of course they were all of that ilk though...

FINALLY this movie made it up here (a 50 mile drive each way) and it was fantastic. One of the best movies I've seen in ages.

Read the book... seen the miniseries. And yet was still on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Absolutely worth it and thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Definitely a cold-war drama. A good movie to see the little things that make a movie really work. Too often today we see nothing but ACTION, ACTION, ACTION with no inside look into what someone is doing/feeling/portraying on the screen.

I was reminded of just how "intense" the cold war really was while watching a documentary on Dr. Ballard finding the Scorpion. A U.S. Sub that went missing in 1968.

No wonder intelligence agencies were totally paranoid.

I grew up in the height of the cold war. We all knew that when the nukes took out Plattsburg Air Force Base, Loring and all the SAC bases around our area... that we were toast.

My high school friends went off to sit next to the Fulda Gap, off to Casey in South Korea, into ballistic missile subs. Over 50 percent of my college class (engineering school), me included, went into defense-related fields.

Yet 'knowing' we were in a MAD posture... and dwelling on it were two different things. The only people who dwelled on it were the Kookballs who spent all their time trying to ban the bomb and wanted to simply surrender the world to communist domination. I always subscribed to the 'peace through strength' philosophy... and I think we were right!

The only time we really thought about it and got nervous was when US planes were duking it out with Libya in the Gulf of Sidra and there was a good chance a 'shootin war' could have erupted. I remember exactly where I was (Drafting lab) listening to the news.

There are many, many people to thank for making sure we DIDN'T fight a hot war. Many in uniform... but others serving quietly in our intelligence services. All could have made more money and been more comfortable doing something else. But they served... And we are better for it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I had been following this movie, since I had become aware of it through the new version of the book with Gary Oldman's George Smiley on the cover. From that point on I was extremely excited, but learned that this gem was only going to be shown in select theaters at first, and D.C. is quite a drive for me at this point, even though there is plenty to do there, and I wouldn't have minded the trip, it was still too much.

Finally, it came to my area, but still I had to wait to find out which theaters had it, and they have just now stopped showing it in most of the theaters in my area, so I was a little worried that I wouldn't get to see it.

Yesterday, I was finally able to see it, and I ended up driving between 30 to 40 miles, and waiting more than two hours just for it to start.

I must say that it was worth every second, and every penny. The acting is superb, and harkens back to the old era in acting when actors, and actresses could display emotion, and act, through their eyes, as well as the rest of their body, and not act like a damn mannequin that you see in so many movies today. It was fantastic to watch, and it may be slow for some people, but this genre of movie is suppose to mimic the feelings, and behavior during the Cold War, so there is a lack of high speed chases, martini swilling, and giving out your real last name as your introduction. Granted they do drink in this movie(scotch, and no less than Johnnie Walker Black Label), as well as smoke, and I found myself wanting to enjoy a couple fingers of scotch, and a great cigar, as a good companion with this movie. It is a great homage to the original, and possibly a classic in it's own right, as well.

I believe that when this comes out on DVD, that it will be one of the very few movies were I actually watch, and listen to the commentaries included.

It's phenomenal, and I'm seriously thinking about going back to watch it in another theater before they stop showing it on the big screen. I advise anyone reading this, to go see it if they haven't, or pick up the DVD, rent it, etc, when it comes out. It is definitely worth buying in my viewpoint, and I hope that they come up with a special edition upon release.

one of the best movies I have seen in a long time the entire cast were nothing short of fantastic.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy will be released on March 30. No word yet on if the special edition will be released as well, but I'm hoping they do. There was a special edition released in the UK, that contained many things including the music soundtrack for the movie, which is quite good. Hopefully they do, and I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.

Here is the Amazon link for the DVD...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059XTTW8/ref=pe_164490_22730500_pe_vfe_dt2

I wanted to like this film but couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Watched the first half twice then gave up. Those guys are great actors and the time period was we done but the lack of dialogue had me lost.

M.45,

I got the plot very quickly, because I've been a fan ever since Alec Guiness's Smiley, and Gary Oldman's version is damn good as well.

If you don't have the book, then I would watch it a second time, it's a great movie.

The movie is as great as scotch, and I found myself wanting to smoke a cigar with two fingers in a glass right there in the theater. Just give it some time, and a second viewing.

Also take note of the glasses that he wears. They change when the scene is actually him remembering the past. I believe it was tortoise-shells for the past, and black frames for the present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted to like this film but couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Watched the first half twice then gave up. Those guys are great actors and the time period was we done but the lack of dialogue had me lost. </div></div>

Same here. I liked it in general, but I'd be lying if I said I was able to completely follow the storyline. It's the kind of story I typically enjoy, so I am planning on picking up the book and giving it a whirl...

Just watched it last night and i plan on buying it. It is a fantastic movie, very immersive, very vague also though. I do indeed understand as i was confused at the end. I wanted more clarification on how it was all connected and so on. I rewound several parts to get another look at them to make sure i didn't miss anything. Overall though i loved it. The cast is just outstanding, gotta hand it to the brits they have some very gifted actors, that are very underrated. Gary Oldman, Mark Strong, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Ciarian Hinds, etc. They're some of my favorite actors especially Oldman and Strong. It was to my surprise that this movie got a 7.2 on imdb. Completely underrated as it should be an 8.0+ like rotten tomatoes had.

All in all it's just awesome.

I'm thinking of getting the books, there are two follow up to tinker tailor and FWIW i hope it gets made. Though doing flashbacks with John Hurt might be hard he's on his way out
frown.gif
Interestingly enough reviews for the book say it makes the movie seem over-simplified which is strange. Apparently the book is a hard read, but extremely detailed, and moves at a real life pace, while slow for most, that is something i enjoy.

Amazingly detailed and nuanced production that most certainly takes a second viewing to really appreciate. Not a thriller, it's a thinker destined not to be truly appreciated until decades after it's release.

I rented, deserves a second viewing I agree. A little hard for me to keep up with time line but a great movie I give it a must see

Watching it a second time and knowing the characters i picked up on subtle things i had missed before. Definitely worth a second watch. Gary Oldman and Thomas said there more than likely will be a sequel. I hope they do the entire "karla trilogy"

I just watched it over the weekend and I think it's Gary Oldham's best acting job yet. My wife fussed periodically that she couldn't understand what was going on and I would patiently explain that not knowing what's going on is a chronic condition in the spy biz, so why not in a story about the spy biz? Excellent film I intend to watch more than once.

Bought the DVD, Liked it a lot. Have been a Le Carre fan for decades. The Movie is well written, well acted, and like all Le Carre's works, a tad more subtle than most are prepared for. Like the books, I think it will improve on the second viewing. Was happy to see Le Carre listed as a producer.

Greg

Excellent underacted story. Just like the books...leaves U hanging a long time . Subtle suspense. Oldman's acting was for lack of a better word-- movementless/restrained to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent underacted story. Just like the books...leaves U hanging a long time . Subtle suspense. Oldman's acting was for lack of a better word-- movementless/restrained to say the least.</div></div>

Just saw this via rental.

I have to say, given Oldman's typical character/type casting in the past, I found this role a welcome relief and a chance to really see him as a true actor.

The necessity of him being "restrained" was, I think, indicative of the nature of his character's profile: Calculating, not given over to emotion. Looking at the facts presented and their context, exploring them but not being restrictively focused on one lead.

It really played into the hinting that he was the mole, and I just don't see the character he played making a face at a surprise, much less going "Gary Oldman", so to speak.

Smiley's character was brilliantly played, I thought, as were the others.

I enjoyed the film, as it didn't rely on too much in the way of visual theatrics, except where they aided the story. The restraint in this regard was highly appreciated.

I found myself thinking back to Graham Greene's The Quiet American quite a bit. Especially when the Brits were mulling bringing in their American counterparts. Nothing in the story particularly led me there, just the very even-keeled nature of the plot's presentation. Even the excitement was restrained to a point where one could find the point, as opposed to just being a filler for a bad script.

I truly enjoyed this film. Wish there were more like it being made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just saw this via rental.

I have to say, given Oldman's typical character/type casting in the past, I found this role a welcome relief and a chance to really see him as a true actor.

The necessity of him being "restrained" was, I think, indicative of the nature of his character's profile: Calculating, not given over to emotion. Looking at the facts presented and their context, exploring them but not being restrictively focused on one lead.

It really played into the hinting that he was the mole, and I just don't see the character he played making a face at a surprise, much less going "Gary Oldman", so to speak.

Smiley's character was brilliantly played, I thought, as were the others.

I enjoyed the film, as it didn't rely on too much in the way of visual theatrics, except where they aided the story. The restraint in this regard was highly appreciated.

I found myself thinking back to Graham Greene's The Quiet American quite a bit. Especially when the Brits were mulling bringing in their American counterparts. Nothing in the story particularly led me there, just the very even-keeled nature of the plot's presentation. Even the excitement was restrained to a point where one could find the point, as opposed to just being a filler for a bad script.

I truly enjoyed this film. Wish there were more like it being made.</div></div>

Indeed. Their supposedly making the Karla trilogy as the director really loved doing Tinker Tailor. Pretty amazing for his second film as director, he shows promise.

Oldman was superb, great acting all around... I was particularly impressed with the silent/subtle way in which the suspense built throughout the movie... can't wait to see it again

I had a hard time following the beginning but then again we had a full house and people were talking. I stopped it and started over where it was quiet. Then it clicked. I didn't catch that it was showing past events.

Great movie in an era I grew up in before Facebook, iPods and smart phones.

read both the book and the move.

Acting/plot was superb.

A book on intel(US side) that I would recommend would be "Legacy of Ashes" by Weiner.

I absolutely loved the book, I still haven't had a chance to see the film so I hope I'm not let down by it.