• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tip on removing muzzle brake on a Savage 516...?

Re: Tip on removing muzzle brake on a Savage 516...?

I found this....

Lock it in a vice, then after you heat it up, wrap a rag around the break, put a tight fitting nail through it, hook it with the claw end of a hammer and turn it counter clockwise. Just like if you were taking a nail out of a board, the nail will bend and wrap around the break a lil, or at least it did on me, but this should take the brake all the way off. It took lots of force... once its off then you can take it apart and clean it real well.

GG: once off will it be possible to re-thread the existing thread's to 5/8-24?

Or is it more advisable, since I want to use my SandStorm, just have the barrel cut and re-threaded?

It all depends what the current threads are on the brake. Provided it can be turned down to the OD before threading, it could be done, but if it won't clean up the old threads, I am guessing most smiths would want to just part off the threads and start clean. Would only lose you maybe half an inch, so it should not have too much effect, though I see you say this is a pistol.

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all depends what the current threads are on the brake. Provided it can be turned down to the OD before threading, it could be done, but if it won't clean up the old threads, I am guessing most smiths would want to just part off the threads and start clean. Would only lose you maybe half an inch, so it should not have too much effect, though I see you say this is a pistol.

Onyx </div></div>

PM you email address and I will send you pictures...