• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tips for shooting off a bench?

uracowman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone have any tips?

I find it extremely difficult to shoot off a bench compared to shooting prone. The local range I go to has a 600 yard range with steel plates and I can easily shoot sub MOA while shooting from the prone position, but this isn't the case when I shoot off the bench.

There are times where I exhibit brilliant, and some instances where I group over 1 MOA.

Re: tips for shooting off a bench?

I hard hold in the prone but find that while sitting my accuracy improves with more of a free recoil hold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hard hold in the prone but find that while sitting my accuracy improves with more of a free recoil hold. </div></div>

do you shoot off a bipod while on the bench?

If so, do you load the bipod?

Just for clarification to some of you guys who are reading the OP, I shoot off a bipod while on the bench.

I use both but have better luck with a sand bag support. I get less hop with something soft. Same reason I use a S.O. Tech stock pad. It works great on fence post or hard barricades.

I shoot with a loaded bipod and one sandbag supporting the rear when shooting from a bench. I agree with Recoil though, i tend to shoot better with a more relaxed grip at the bench than i do prone.

Get a very good bipod, price shouldnt matter, or use a sand bag for the front also

I use a bag and a bipod off the bench but still shoot better prone though only just. I also use a more relaxed grip off the bench and a death grip prone. I also load up on the bi-pod which is supposedly a no no but it works well for me.

just my .02

I only shoot bench to check loads so I just stick it in a Caldwell rest and really don't even touch the rifle just pull the trigger
(Jewell trigger)

I don't shoot prone these days. I shoot both bipod and rest off the bench, and use a rear bag with both.

I think each rifle has its own preferences about how it likes to be shot, and that it will tell you if you take the time to try various approaches and find which performs best.

I think of it as 'learning the rifle'.

Like any shooting process; once you learn it, be consistent.

Greg