• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Tips on keeping suppressors tight

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
So now that i have two thread on cans on the way, I have a plethora of people telling me that i should have gotten a brake attach method so they wont start to come off after a few rounds.

I emailed the manufacturers and they have a washer kit for the .223's but not for the .30 cal ones. Is this a large concern or can i put a bit of Teflon tape on the threads to keep them locked? I don't plan on doing magazine dumps, but i do want to avoid a baffle strike.

Re: Tips on keeping suppressors tight

On my 9mm & .22lr cans I just always check it every other mags or so. On my M10/45 I check it EVERY mag.

All 6 of my form 1 cans stay on very tight and never even slightly come lose
They are all thread on cans so it's hard for me to understand what the silencer manufactures are doing wrong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just use Teflon tape. </div></div>

Any special kind, or just the cheap stuff from Lowes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zevdogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all thread on cans so it's hard for me to understand what the silencer manufactures are doing wrong </div></div>
Most likely if the person that built the can, prepped the barrel as well, it would be a none issue. Bulk, Factory threaded barrels, are lacking most of the time.

Usually the problem is preventing them from seizing.

Suppressors are threaded to have a little slop so they will thread onto anyones barrel threading. Not all threads are created equal. A good smith can cut your barrel to match you suppressors threading. That's how I do my builds
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Houston Armory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With thread on suppressors, I usually snap the last 1/8th turn on really hard.
</div></div>

I run the can down until it shoulders, back it off a bit, then give it a quick twist to seat.

I've never had a single problem with a can backing off. Including some range trips that number into several hundred rounds. Not a single time has my thread on can backed off.

IMHO, I wouldn't mess with it unless you are actually experiencing problems with it backing off.

We (HTG Silencers) thread our cans to class III tolerances. This means they are in spec but on the tighter end of the specification range. This helps with alignment and keeping in place. If your barrel is threaded with a decent job, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Use some teflon tape or paste if the cans back off. Just check them frequently at first to make sure everything is staying where you want it.

Also, you will find that thread on cans are typically more accurate than the ones with the QD systems. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your direct thread cans.

Enjoy shooting suppressed.