• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Tired of trapping

You're not giving up a lot with the Trail as compared to the Thermion. I like how the Thermion mounts and like the controls better but battery life is a big downside. You'll get much more run time afield with the Trail. The only zero shift that I've seen in the Trail is related to updates. They do seem to be a little affected by temp so I wonder if guys that have wandering zero problems are sighting in during the summer and then seeing it change during winter? I dunno.

How long is the battery life on the Thermion? I read the article in the (AR Dope Bag, May 2020) about the XM38 and they say that the battery life is reasonable and practical ( for who ??) keep those advertising bucks coming in.

I haven't run mine down yet. The style night hunting that's available to me hasn't put me in a low battery position. I did read where it wasn't as long as the trails, but you can buy an aux battery for around $80. So it'll be 1 internal and 2 external. It always runs the external down first.

I haven't run mine down yet. The style night hunting that's available to me hasn't put me in a low battery position. I did read where it wasn't as long as the trails, but you can buy an aux battery for around $80. So it'll be 1 internal and 2 external. It always runs the external down first.

Are you using just the Thermion? How long are you using it?

Are you using just the Thermion? How long are you using it?
Yes just the Thermion. There’s a 10 acre field I hunt and a couple food plots. I’ll sit in a stand for a few hours after dark. I check the plots and shooting lanes every 10-15 minutes then turn off. I’ll sit the big field after I finish at the plots so I’m not constantly running it. So maybe an hour of total run time a night. As I get better at the night stalking thing I’ll see if I wind up needing to buy that second auxiliary battery. If I was hunting open country like TX or Midwest I could seeing it coming into play cause there’s so much to scan. I’m not an expert and have very limited time on thermal. Just my personal exp so far. I plan on putting in at least 2 nights this weekend with it.

I was just curious about what the run time is and I don't doubt that the extra batteries will be needed. I'm thinking that the serious guys are also using NV glasses, which is another question about battery life :). Thanks

Well, here's an excellent, in my opinion, review of the "new" Thermion thermal scopes.

Kinda looks like the XP50 would be better for taking multiply shots at moving targets but the XQ50 looks mighty good with a lower price tag.

In the video when comparing the XQ50 at base mag of 3.5X and bringing the XP50 from 2X up to 3.5X , the XQ50 looks much sharper to my eyes but the host puts words up on the screen that the view looked the same to him at 3.5X - why didn't he adjust the XP50 to look as good as the XQ50 on the screen???

If so, then the XP50 would be the ticket, but if the screen view is more realistic, then one might consider saving a little money and go with the XQ50 - in any event, that video at 200 yards is very impressive with those 2 thermal scopes.

Well, here's an excellent, in my opinion, review of the "new" Thermion thermal scopes.

Kinda looks like the XP50 would be better for taking multiply shots at moving targets but the XQ50 looks mighty good with a lower price tag.

In the video when comparing the XQ50 at base mag of 3.5X and bringing the XP50 from 2X up to 3.5X , the XQ50 looks much sharper to my eyes but the host puts words up on the screen that the view looked the same to him at 3.5X - why didn't he adjust the XP50 to look as good as the XQ50 on the screen???

If so, then the XP50 would be the ticket, but if the screen view is more realistic, then one might consider saving a little money and go with the XQ50 - in any event, that video at 200 yards is very impressive with those 2 thermal scopes.

It is odd that he didn’t focus the XP50. I have a Trail XQ50 and XP50, and I cannot tell the difference when set up the same, and set to the same magnification.

It looks like he’s able to go a good amount of time without calibration and the image still looks good. My Trails both need to be nuc’d after 30-40 seconds or so. Some of it may be because of the environment I hunt in- dense trees, lots of rocks(hold a lot of heat) where I’ve cleared, high heat & humidity. I’m right on the border of S Texas plains and Texas hill country.

7P's Thanks for the Youtube makes things a bit clearer :)