• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tn / Ky

woodland-ghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Tennessee
Anywhere in tennessee or southern Kentucky to shoot beyond 1200? I doubt it would be a range.

I'm itching to try a mile but seems hard to find around here. Plenty of farms but you just have to know the right people.

Reactions: 338dude
Im visiting family and would also like to find a place to shoot to atleast 1000 yds. Im in Tri-cities area but willing to travel.

One of the best 1000 yard ranges in the US is in Oak Ridge, see the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Ass.

I will vouch for oak ridge its a class act facility. I use to run the IBS 600 yard matches there a few yrs back.

One of the best 1000 yard ranges in the US is in Oak Ridge, see the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Ass.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

i am just south of Nolensville and would be interested in shooting at your range.

H4L

The hill you drive up on and shoot off of?

Just trying to find out cause if we can get 1500 instead of 1100 sat I'd be happy.

You are welcome to try it sometime H4L! I shoot from the back of my truck. I have no cover to protect me from the sun, so it gets pretty hot! Weekends and late afternoons are best. The range is about 40 mins east of Columbia on Waynesboro Hwy in Lewis Co.

Im from the Perry County area of Kentucky, and if any of you are currently employed, or unemployed, from the coal business you know must of these strip jobs are shutting down.

We have recently been using a local one with the potential for a mile, and over a mile shot for anyone welcome to come try it out. This past weekend I was shooting 1000y with PLENTY of room to move back, on either side of me.

Of course, this is all based on top of the mountain style shooting, winds do vary, and it is a lot of moving to place targets, etc., but I dont go and try to rush anyway. If anyone is interested or passing through, PM me.

I have a 1000 yard range in a clear cut in southern middle Tn! I shoot it approx. once a month. Let me know if anyone is interested?

im also in southern middle TN live between Fayetteville and Pulaski right next to i65. where are you located?

The guys at Vestals Gunsmithing & Custom Rifles located in Abingdon,Va have some nice places to shoot out to around 2500yds. Give them a call. I have shot with them and they are very knowledgeable about long range shooting.

For Mideast elr shooting the guys at vestals in abingdon are top of the list. The guys at bangsteel.com are also great to shoot with as well, I think you can book private range session with them out to about mile.

I just gps'd tree line to tree line and was 1100, trying to see where these extra 400 yds are

The 1500y target Lawn Ranger is referring to is on the hill that is beyond the woodline you GPS'd. From the firing line, you can see a small clearing on the hillside and there should be a target in the clearing. I was told it is basically an ATV trail to get up to the target itself but I didn't go check it out personally.

Since this thread was necro'd....don't forget about shooting in Hazzard, KY out to 1600yds.

Since this thread was necro'd....don't forget about shooting in Hazzard, KY out to 1600yds.
More details please

Also, Rockcastle was bought by some entity around the first of the year. Word on the street is the have other plans and ranges are all CLOSED with no plans to re-open?

Can anyone verify this?

I used to shoot there and it's a real tragedy if its gone...especially since it was a little over and hour away for me......one of only a few places to shoot that far thats a public range on east coast

Main field is 1100 with trees and as described target back and up on hill at 1604 last time I was there. When the leaves are off you could shoot a mile.

If anyone has any info on the status of ranges there please let me know. The phone at the lodge has been disconnected

I think the Hazzard guys have a shooting club facebook page...I don't do facebook...so I can't tell you too much about their club. I've ridden down there a few times with other people that knew where they were going....and I talk alot and didn't pay much attention to exact directions.

Someone tried to tell me you could shoot out to 1600 yards in Hazzard, KY and I was like "You are full of shit...that place is nothing but steep hills and trees...but when I got there...it was a huge wide open strip mine coal area...you could see for like 3 miles....and off to the right of the shooting platform there are ATV trails everywhere.

On match days they hang closer steel...I think on non-match days...the closest target is 400 yards...that way people don't walk out and steal it. I was only there to shoot 1000+...but I did ping the shorter stuff with the 308. I'd like to go back soon...but heading to TVP tomorrow to practice some 1 mile stuff.

Reactions: Longshot85
I think the Hazzard guys have a shooting club facebook page...I don't do facebook...so I can't tell you too much about their club. I've ridden down there a few times with other people that knew where they were going....and I talk alot and didn't pay much attention to exact directions.

Someone tried to tell me you could shoot out to 1600 yards in Hazzard, KY and I was like "You are full of shit...that place is nothing but steep hills and trees...but when I got there...it was a huge wide open strip mine coal area...you could see for like 3 miles....and off to the right of the shooting platform there are ATV trails everywhere.

On match days they hang closer steel...I think on non-match days...the closest target is 400 yards...that way people don't walk out and steal it. I was only there to shoot 1000+...but I did ping the shorter stuff with the 308. I'd like to go back soon...but heading to TVP tomorrow to practice some 1 mile stuff.
Awesome to hear

Well I got my answer just now

Rockcastle = gone for good per an RO I know that used to work there

Last edited:
My guess is there are some strip mines in either oh or ky that may be legal... finding them would be the challenge.

Find a contact in Harlan KY. if I was still back home I know one place for an easy mile I could take you and another for 2200 yds. All old strip jobs. How long would it take you to get there?

Here are screen grabs of a couple places I know in Harlan/Letcher County.

7CA15DE1-82C4-4F04-B1ED-AF8306426C9F.png

EA9D382B-8999-4BB6-8FCD-A97658E30BAB.png

I’m sure there are dozens more if you can get the right guy to take you there.

Let's do this

Pm me where you live and contact info

I'm just a tad south of Louisville