• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TNVC Announces the WASP NV Clip-On Device

Victor-TNVC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2007
    USA
    www.tnvc.com
    WASP_CNVD_7_zpse76c12eb.jpg

Hello all,

Over the last several years we have watched the market intently and saw the need for a quality, lower-cost clip-on night vision device. We have seen more and more folks placing PVS-14 monoculars on high recoil weapons/high magnification scopes as a stop-gap. These devices were never designed for this application, but have been jerry-rigged for to extend their use. The most effective way to deploy a PVS-14 is head-mounted for observation with an IR laser on the weapon for aiming.

With that said, I am pleased to announce the new <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">TNVC Weapon Mounted Advanced Sighting Platform (WASP) Clip-on Night Vision Device</span></span>. When we made the announcement that TNVC was working on a new night vision device, the internet rumor mill ramped up to full speed. During the course of development, the WASP CNVD underwent many refinements. So, now that we are so close to the release, I figured it’s time to give some factual details.

WASP_CNVD_6_zps835faeb0.jpg

We set our initial goals to develop an incredibly high quality clip-on night vision device with high resolution at a much more affordable price point than current market products. We feel we have done just that. Lower cost does not have to mean lower quality; quite the opposite, in fact.

The WASP CNVD optic is a proprietary catadioptric lens system, developed exclusively for this platform by our German Optical Engineers who have been working in the optical arena collectively, for 30+ years.

WASP_CNVD_9_zps80473d10.jpg

The very first iterations of the WASP were actual dedicated high resolution rifle scopes in the 4x and 8x ranges. We found out early on from our optical engineering folks, that we could clearly design dedicated NV optics well into the 12x arena with virtually no light loss and resolution with our proprietary lens design. We demonstrated the 8x version to many upper Military Operators who were amazed at the clarity of objects at over 2000m!

WASP_CNVD_10_zpscf1a50d0.jpg

During the last 4 years, we have drawn from this amazing collective data from these iterations into what you see today in the TNVC WASP CNVD. Yes, we realize we have tested the patience of many who wanted the WASP CNVD released a long time ago. But, we wanted to make sure it was good to go before we brought it to market. No detail was overlooked in the development of the WASP CNVD. Everything had to be perfect. Right down to the carry case that holds the system.

Let’s get down to the specifics now, how does it see and shoot? Well I have personally handled, shot and looked-through every iteration. As the CEO of TNVC, I had to be the biggest critic of the system to make sure it would perform to the very highest standard.

WASP_CNVD_11_zpsa08ad622.jpg

For our comparisons we used every major CNVD on the market, from the AN/PVS-22, 27’s to the CNVD-LR. Presently the WASP CNVD is performing neck and neck with the AN/PVS-22 with optimal magnification from 3-12x and useable magnification in the 13-17x range with adequate moon and/or IR lighting. Most know us to be very conservative in our range estimations and the 3-12x optimal results are from no moon very dark nights.

Below you will see a typical 15x through-the-tube pic at 50 yards we hope will give you a representation of the resolution we are achieving.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Note: photographing through night vision does not yield accurate images in the first place. Photographing through a stack of optics, including a CNVD is even more difficult. The images do not show a good representation of what you will actually see with the naked eye. This image was taken through a high quality Schmidt & Bender scope</span></span>.

WASP_CNVD_12_zpsf7848d40.jpg

I was reluctant to post any such through-the-tube pics, but I wanted you all to have a glimpse at what to expect.

On the shoot testing side of the house, we used a McMillan .308 and Remington XM-2010 (300WM). Both platforms are capable of very low sub MOA groups with match ammo. We utilized Federal Gold Medal Match. It is important to note, high quality day optics, with any high quality Clip-On is a must. This also goes for the WASP to bring out the absolute best performance from our system.

WASP_CNVD_1_zps493c54f0.jpg

WASP_CNVD_2_zps8695f2fa.jpg

We had several shooters (not just yours truly) give their observations and shoot notes.
    1.All shooters achieved ¾ MOA at 100m routinely in very low light conditions.
    2.Taking the WASP on/off the weapon and reintroducing was always well within in the ½ MOA arena. Accuracy bore sight was ½ MOA
    3.Detail Observations:
    <span style="font-style: italic">Testing was performed in 1/3 moon conditions, low on the horizon. At 100 yards, identical clarity was obtained from the TNVC WASP and the FLIR AN/PVS-22. Discernible, through both optics, were the small, concentric ring targets. Center point measured 1.0 inch and the corresponding rings were 0.5 inch wide. All were visible which enabled such good ¾ MOA 5 shot grouping with some shots basically in one hole.

Moving to 50 yards created an enormous amount of clarity in both systems. When an SEB target was placed downrange the lettering on the bottom was readable. Running through the magnification ranges 6.5X to 17X, the lettering maintained its clarity (readability)!! Pushing beyond that started to darken the image and the crisp edges of the letters started to blur and become unreadable. While optimum ranges are in the 3X to 12X ranges, this WASP is fully capable of exceeding those specs if the lighting conditions are optimal and, the rifle optic is capable.</span>

WASP_CNVD_3_zps1f19777f.jpg

WASP_CNVD_4_zps10fffa95.jpg

PHYSICAL SPEC
    Dimensions: 6.38”(L) x 3.82”(W) x 3.38”(H)
    Weight (w/o batteries): 27.5 oz
    Center of Rear Optic: 1.49” (above rail)
    Max Height: 3.08” (above rail)
    Power: One (1) CR123A 3Volt Battery
    Weapon Mount: Throw Lever-Type QD Mount
    Operating Temperature: -40 F (-40 C) to 124 F (51 C)
    Storage Temperature: -60 F (-51 C) to 160 F (71 C)
    Submersion: None, Water Resistant

SYSTEM SPEC
    Generation: Gen3 U.S. ITT PINNACLE and L-3 OMNI VIII Versions Available
    Resolution: 3.2 cy/mr (Min), 3.5 cy/mr (Typ)
    Signal to Noise: 21 (Minimum)
    HALO: 1.0 (Max)

OPTICAL SPEC
    Optimum Magnification: 3x to 12x
    Magnification: 1x (Unity)
    Focus Range: 5 m to Infinity
    Field of View: 12°
    Objective Lens: Focal Length 80mm
    Objective Lens f/Number: f/1.14
    Output Optic Exit Pupil Diameter: 36 mm

BORESIGHT SPEC
    Accuracy: Factory Aligned to ½ MOA or Better
    Adjustments: None
    Repeatability: Within ½ MOA

DETECT MAN
    Starlight, Low Contrast: 770 m
    Starlight, High Contrast: 1080 m
    ¼ Moonlight, Low Contrast: 1100 m
    ¼ Moonlight, High Contrast: 1400 m

FACIAL ID RANGES
    Starlight, Low Contrast: 75 m
    Starlight, High Contrast: 110 m
    ¼ Moonlight, Low Contrast: 120 m
    ¼ Moonlight, High Contrast: 135 m

WASP Clip-On RECOIL RATINGS
    ITT Tube: Up to/Including .308 (7.62x51mm NATO)
    L-3 Tube: Up to/Including .50 BMG

KIT PACKAGE INCLUDES
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/WASP_CNVD_5_zps56423d2d.jpg

The WASP CNVD will be available for Dealer orders at the 2013 SHOT Show. Retail pricing will be announced after the show. We will take retail customer pre-orders after SHOT Show with delivery currently scheduled for mid to late February, 2013. Pre-order customers will be able to take advantage of a special price.

<span style="font-style: italic">Vic Di Cosola</span>

Re: TNVC Announces the WASP NV Clip-On Device

Awesome, now that the upscale Country Club wants us removing vermin swine from their expensive maintenance greens and fairways, I bet I'll be able to cover the 18th hole from the tee.
    cool.gif

Looks good. See you at the show.

Thats a nice looking unit. Are you offering hand select units?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, now that the upscale Country Club wants us removing vermin swine from their expensive maintenance greens and fairways, I bet I'll be able to cover the 18th hole from the tee.
    cool.gif
    </div></div>

As long as the WASP is not used as the Tiger (Wife) Woods Driver! Not sure the G-Factor of his wife's swing, but it looked pretty good on their SUV a few years back! LoL

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a nice looking unit. Are you offering hand select units? </div></div>

We will have the rest of the details after Shot.

Vic

I had been waiting for this for a LONG time... after talking to chip the other day I am DEF. ordering one when available, the question for me is though do I get the ITT or L3? Right now my "biggest caliber" is the .308 but gotta plan for the future .300 win mag...

Guys,

I've tested this unit and I can tell you that I have personally waited for its release, and did not instead buy a PVS-22, or other clip-on. I can see this being a game-changer in the NV market. I have WRR orders already coming in, as I have clients who were also waiting on this.

At least SOMETHING will be positive at this year's SHOT show!
    crazy.gif

I have been eying a PSV-22 but if this will save me some $ I am in big time.

Been a long time in the making.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had been waiting for this for a LONG time... after talking to chip the other day I am DEF. ordering one when available, the question for me is though do I get the ITT or L3? Right now my "biggest caliber" is the .308 but gotta plan for the future .300 win mag...
    </div></div>

If planning for the future with a .300wm, the L3 tube option will be the one to get.
    smile.gif

Vic

What shock mitigation do you use?

I'm worried about blowing tubes up?

Any videos of using M107?

I would love one but don't want to shatter tubes

Really cool!! Cant wait to play with one although I kind of wish it would use AA batts like the PVS.

Also,
    What is the max runtime for 1 cr123 since I dont see that listed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What shock mitigation do you use?

I'm worried about blowing tubes up?

Any videos of using M107?

I would love one but don't want to shatter tubes

</div></div>

Good concern, and glad you mentioned this.

With our proprietary WASP system, you will not have issues <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">blowing tubes up!</span></span> We've had so many test shoots on our XM-2010 (300wm) and other high caliber systems is why we offer the warranty we do for the tubes. We have pounded the living you know what out of the WASP and so will you.
    smile.gif

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have to talk to you at SHOT, looks really nice. -Evan </div></div>

You got it Evan, looking forward to it.
    smile.gif

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had been waiting for this for a LONG time... after talking to chip the other day I am DEF. ordering one when available, the question for me is though do I get the ITT or L3? Right now my "biggest caliber" is the .308 but gotta plan for the future .300 win mag...
    </div></div>

If planning for the future with a .300wm, the L3 tube option will be the one to get.
    smile.gif

Vic </div></div>

This might be a dumb question, but I am used to looking through one of your hand select Night Enforcers, and have never looked through an L3 tube. Do the L3 tubes perform just as well as the ITT Pinnacle ones? Is there much or any difference when looking through one of each side by side? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had been waiting for this for a LONG time... after talking to chip the other day I am DEF. ordering one when available, the question for me is though do I get the ITT or L3? Right now my "biggest caliber" is the .308 but gotta plan for the future .300 win mag...
    </div></div>

smile.gif

Vic </div></div>

This might be a dumb question, but I am used to looking through one of your hand select Night Enforcers, and have never looked through an L3 tube. Do the L3 tubes perform just as well as the ITT Pinnacle ones? Is there much or any difference when looking through one of each side by side? Thanks </div></div>

No dumb questions here Sir.
    smile.gif

Some say around here that L3 blows away the ITT units....We feel L3 has definitely bridged the gap with their newest tubes and they are VERY close to their ITT counterparts in relation to same spec values.

What happens is folks get very low performing tubes and compare them with a high performing tubes of a different brand and start the debate.

In the WASP it will come darn to what the caliber you want to shoot at as both tubes will perform pretty darn good for the economical clip-on price point folks are about to see.

Hope this helps.
    smile.gif

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM sent. Interested in price when available. </div></div>

Copy received. Thank you for the interests.
    smile.gif

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am VERY excited to see what this "special pre-order pricing" is after already being excited from what chip told me.... </div></div>

Glad you got to talk with Chip, we've been fielding many phone calls and PM's on the WASP Clip-on. We feel the price point will be well received based on the overall quality of this system.

Vic

Cant wait to see this thing and get a price on it. Now to figure out how to "sneak" the funds out of the house
    smile.gif

Very interested in this, as right now all/any NV is out of my budget.

Interesting!

Any chance to have a range of price???

They are indeed very nice to hold in your hand, very compact and super large optics. Definitely will make for a nice hog killing setup in front of my ACOG or other scopes.

The FLIR Government systems across the isle from TNVC also has the new FLIR T-65 with 640X480 resolution, as well as the T-70 that are good out to 700-800 meters.

They are so accurate you can look at a human and tell male or female.....

Skypup,
    When will the wasp be released?
    Can you get pics of the FLIR units? And when a non mil guy can buy one??

That's great. Please post the intro details and time lines here.

Thanks,

Apologize if this is a knoob question, but is there any clarity or usability difference between the tubes, or is the difference entirely related to recoil tolerance? I'm looking at .223, .308, and 6.5'ish rifles for this.

I'd also like to hear some interpretation of how useful it was out at distance by those who have tried it. All the discussion has been about short ranges. An educated assessment of how far out could you ID steel targets and engage them.

Thanks, quite interested,

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skypup,
    When will the wasp be released?
    Can you get pics of the FLIR units? And when a non mil guy can buy one?? </div></div>

Vic gave out the info on the new WASP.

I will ask about the FLIR T-70 ad T-65 today.

The FLIR T-65 is the old T-50 unit with a new 640X480 resolution microbolometer inside it instead of the previous 320X480, giving it much more ID power with 307,200 total pixels instead of the previous 76,800 pixels. I still has the same controls and 5 brightness adjustable levels and internal reticules for stand alone use.

The FLIR LS-64 hand scanner is awesome too, the InstaAlert works beautifully. It appears to be a big improvement over the PS-32 after looking through one.

Damnit, too bad im freakin' renovating the whole first floor of my house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apologize if this is a knoob question, but is there any clarity or usability difference between the tubes, or is the difference entirely related to recoil tolerance? I'm looking at .223, .308, and 6.5'ish rifles for this.

I'd also like to hear some interpretation of how useful it was out at distance by those who have tried it. All the discussion has been about short ranges. An educated assessment of how far out could you ID steel targets and engage them.

Thanks, quite interested,

--Fargo007

</div></div>

All questions "noob" or not, are just fine Brother.
    smile.gif

The main difference for the tube selection of the WASP comes down to recoil resilience. Up to .308 for the ITT and up to and including .50bmg for the L3.

As for distance seen for longer ranges....Please understand this also has to do with several factors such as environmental lighting conditions, magnification used, etc.

In a low moon on the horizon and starlight, I am able to see and shoot a 14" x 16" steel plate at 500m at 10-12x with my S&B PMII. Using an IR illuminator such as the Torch Pro will enable one to see further and with more clarity.

Hope this helps.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you taking orders yet? </div></div>

Not quite...Just got back from Shot. We should be posting something next week or so with the special pre-order pricing.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you taking orders yet? </div></div>

Me too, please.

Looks so good...

How crucial is ring height when aligning the day optic to the wasp?

Well I have a novice question. In the youtube video it states this is not mil spec. Well just out of curiosity what does a mil spec model (say PVS-22) have over the WASP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How crucial is ring height when aligning the day optic to the wasp? </div></div>

If you want the clearest image possible it's always good to be as centered as you can. But it does not effect your POA/POI if you're not.

Vic