• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TNVC "Supergain" Tubes

MtnGhost

BOfH
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Confused after seeing an email marketing blast from TNVC a few mins ago. Are these tubes the standard L3 factory high FOM 2376+ unflimed tubes or did L3 come out with some new and improved 2376+ tube?

Reactions: NightHunt
Korean-spec, so 100k gain instead of 60-70k. I think the range on my UF sheets is 40-80k and actual is around 67k. Otherwise real nice 2376+ tubes from what I'm seeing (for an extra $1200/tube as compared to their spec'able UF WP). I hope it might push more development of quality manual-gain housings, as those'll be pretty damned bright on auto.

Wonder how much difference it makes vrs an UF tube with like ebi. This might finally motivate me to get a super toob.

SG_SLIDER_IMG_03-2507081.jpg

I asked TNVC two questions over on ARF.

1. Wouldn’t manual gain be important with these?
2. Can we hand select specs with these new tubes?

Answer:

1. “Remember that all tubes will still have ABC - Automatic Brightness Control, so they will auto-regulate depend on ambient light conditions (the number of photons entering the tube), I've been using ABC SuperGains for about the last eight months in the TNV/BNVG Artemis, which is currently ABC-only and haven't had any issues in any lighting conditions beyond that of standard Unfilmed tubes.

That being said, manual gain control can be useful, especially to those who have very light sensitive eyes--long story short I would say that if you're already someone who needs / wants manual gain control, then you will still want it. If you are fine with ABC-only systems, I don't think that SuperGain will change that significantly.

Also, if you want to attenuate the brightness / input (technically not exactly the same thing as tube manual gain control from a technical standpoint) you can use refocusing devices like the Matbock Tarsier (probably the best option due to the iris allowing you to fine-tune the aperture size) to adjust the tube brightness on an ABC-only system while also giving you the depth of field benefits of a refocusing device, which manual gain control cannot do.

Doing my best to describe the experience of using them versus Unfilmed, the image is noticeably brighter, however, some of that is accounted for by the fact that the image is... "whiter," as most who have experienced White Phosphor know, the image isn't really actually white--it's more of a light teal, blue-green color.

SuperGain presents as leaning more "white," though it still has the characteristic WP hue, but to my eye, under most lighting conditions, it's also "cooler" temperature-wise, leaning more to white-blue than to green, if that makes sense.”

2. Hand-Select IS available for TNV-systems ONLY in SuperGain, within reasonable limits, of course, and as always, you can still hand select for cosmetics, though again, hand-select requests will affect lead times.

So, these are similar to manual gain setups? These are superior?

Manual gain you actually have a knob that can manually adjust the gain. That is housing dependent, not dependent on the tubes. These tubes will have a much higher end in terms of gain with a compatible housing.

With a non manual gain housing you get what you get. Which IMO might be too bright, probably just depends on your environment.

These should be superior to standard filmess as the marketing material does imply. Looks like they put out a brighter image when up against standard tubes.

Reactions: mikefraz
Pretty much imagine if your gain knob could keep spinning and you'll get how much of a benefit this is to you. End of the day, pretty cool but noise will be more noticeable for sure (filmless 35+ SNR tubes mitigate this to an extent).

I assume that if you take a 100k gain tube and 70k gain tube and turn them down to say 50k of gain you end up with an identical image

Reactions: mikefraz
I have a pair of DTNVs on order with TNVC (maybe another 4 weeks to go).

I'm on the fence about contacting them to upgrade to these tubes.

$3k for a possible 10% difference in actual image performance... I'd rather put that towards an E-COTI clip on thermal, or a handheld RICO 640.

Korean-spec, so 100k gain instead of 60-70k. I think the range on my UF sheets is 40-80k and actual is around 67k. Otherwise real nice 2376+ tubes from what I'm seeing (for an extra $1200/tube as compared to their spec'able UF WP). I hope it might push more development of quality manual-gain housings, as those'll be pretty damned bright on auto.
Why the term “korean”?
Is it meant for that marked, and if so, what about export restrictions?

No matter what, it’s awesome news that the engineers have found a way to tweak and further improve the capabilities.

Photonis will have a time trying to push their “OOB” sales pitch, although they still have the upper hand with high light resolution, I guess…

• Haha
Reactions: Eliteuas
Why the term “korean”?
Is it meant for that marked, and if so, what about export restrictions?

No matter what, it’s awesome news that the engineers have found a way to tweak and further improve the capabilities.

Photonis will have a time trying to push their “OOB” sales pitch, although they still have the upper hand with high light resolution, I guess…

PVS-31K

With a non manual gain housing you get what you get. Which IMO might be too bright, probably just depends on your environment.

As the post above mentions you can get Matbock Tarsier's to turn down the brightness as you would in a manual gain goggle, with the added benefit of greater DOF.

As the post above mentions you can get Matbock Tarsier's to turn down the brightness as you would in a manual gain goggle, with the added benefit of greater DOF.

I personally don’t care much for the Tarsiers. Ran them on my DTNVS but adjusting both and them slipping (I fixed with Tape) was a bit annoying.I do agree though, that is a patch to aid those that need it.

Would much prefer a knob that quickly adjusts both tubes if it’s available.

Reactions: shoobe01
ITAR is not a ban. It's just regulatory control with oversight to assure critical defense-applicable items are not mailed out willy-nilly to people we don't like.

Mission statements for the orgs that authorize exports tell the tale:
The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) ensures commercial exports of defense articles and defense services advance U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives.

So, we (the USG) like the ROK, and trust them, and their Army, to use things properly and not sell them on the black market, etc. Selling tens of thousands of NODs to re-equip their regular army, improving the ability of a close partner to defend their nation alongside US forces, with no notable risk of loss of equipment or information. Oh yeah, that gets approved.

ITAR doesn’t apply if through DOD I don’t believe.
ITAR dam sure doesn't apply to Buck Fiden.

Hecque, 80 Billion in high tech weapons, NV, Thermal, Aircraft etc, etc aint nothing to sneeze at, especially if you the thug terrorists.

They gotta love Uncle Joe. Meanwhile ATF is harassing law abiding and productive American citizens.

Anyone see a problem with this picture.

I think Horta sorta touched on what these tubes are back in Oct 2020

"L3 makes "super tubes" that remove a lot of the "safeties" that make tubes more durable / less fragile. There's no free lunch, but supposedly you can get those 3600 FOM tubes Vic was talking about from L3 (in quantity orders) if you're willing to have no warranty.

Most of us aren't willing to drop >$10K on something with zero warranty out of the gate."

NSF JoJo over on Arfcom used to refer to these type tubes as "Overcooked". Haven't seen him post in a long time, not sure if they gave him the boot or not.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

These have been out for a while, now. Any further feedback?

These have been out for a while, now. Any further feedback?
In all seriousness, not much reporting out there on these.

FYI it has been reported by others that the South Korean Government had ordered these units back around 2017 ish and found them not to their liking. Apparently under heavy canopy the scintillation was too much. Since running them they have switched back to regular units.

Take from that what you want.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, not much reporting out there on these.

FYI it has been reported by others that the South Korean Government had ordered these units back around 2017 ish and found them not to their liking. Apparently under heavy canopy the scintillation was too much. Since running them they have switched back to regular units.

Take from that what you want.
Were their units FOM limited, so they were pushing 100k gain on sub 30snr?

Don't know about all of that on the 30 SNR. They were supposedly PVS 31K's. We pretty friendly with the South Koreans so maybe they got some good stuff on SNR, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Maybe dumb question: Does anyone know what's in latest-issue ANVIS for US Army Aviation?

Reason is: friend's (deployed) unit has both green and semi-recently, white. No other specs available even when asked. Just pick green or white when asking for gear to go fly. And after trying the white 2-3 times, he never ever picks them. Too bright. Because essentially 100% of the places you fly have ambient lights. Even if 30 miles off there's a city, cars with lights on a highway, other aircraft, and that's enough to make them bloom out a bit annoyingly.

Remember, ABC/auto-gain because pilots have enough on their hands to not be fiddling with dials on their heads, but it makes me wonder if this is just normal newest upgraded WP tubes or Army Aviation bought some of these super-gain tubes also and that's how bright they are.

Timely discussion as I was just thinking about upgrading. The “under heavy canopy” bit caught my eye as I recently moved to the national forest and now all my activities are under heavy canopy and it makes a difference!

In 2013 (hard to believe it’s been ten years!) I got a set of tubes in bnvs that were 33.7snr 72lp. Everything I’m seeing today seems like a very incremental improvement. But I was wondering if these super gain would make a difference. Definitely hoping to hear any personal experiences

Reactions: JWG
Sounds like they needed to turn the gain down, or did they not have manual gain control on their particular binos?

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I have now used my Supergain tubes for a few months, now. They are in rnvga housing, so Autogain. I had some excellent unfilmed wp tubes, and these are excellent uf wp sg tubes. I hand select all the specs on the systems I order. These are roughly 2750fom, <1ebi, and 0.7 halo, and have excellent cosmetic characteristics. If "white wall hunting", they are indistinguishable from my uf wp tubes. When outside or in low light conditions, yes, they do scintillate more, however, I find it preferable to the uf wp regular tubes in dark environs, which return no/very dark image under canopy vs dim images with more scintillation. This sg is not a "next level capability", and if you have good wp uf tubes, I dont think the trade is really a big thing to pursue, but they do offer better performance in very dark areas, and if you want the best for that, these are them.

Reactions: Dogtown and Gasgun