• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing To bed an action or not

Old Salt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
North Carolina
I've got a new Manners T4 on order with the mini chassis and I'm putting my Remington 700 308 short action in it. The rifle came with a HS Precision composite stock with the aluminum chassis and shot pretty good (3/4 MOA at 100)but the stock cracked at the front sling swivel mount so I opted to get a Manners. My question is do any of you guys that know a lot more than me think that I should have the action bedded along with getting the mini chasis? Or just shoot it and see how it does, money is definitely an object since I retired. If I put this post in the wrong place I'm sorry but couldn't find a Manners thread.

Re: To bed an action or not

I'd say try it without first. If it doesn't shoot as good or better than your HS, then I would bed it. I just got a T4a with the mini chassis for my latest build. Saturday I found my load for the rifle. The last group I shot with it was .2215 moa at 200 yds. My rifle is not bedded. Hope this helps.

since you already have it ordered, run it as is since that is what it was designed for. if you were planning on bedding it, getting the mini-chassis wasn't the way to go anyways. i have not personally run a mini-chassis but i do like the concept and suspect you will be more than happy with it.

Thanks for the advice, the HS Precision did pretty well I thought till it cracked. I think I'll just drop the action in the Manners and see what it does, I'm like you in thinking thats what it was designed for without any other work. It's just going to be hell waiting 12 weeks for it to get here but I at least have the other stock fixed so I can still use it till I get my new one.

Oh yeah that helps; I've got the HS Precision fixed and it will definitely not crack in that area anymore but I just will never have confidence in it anymore. I fixed it myself but I used to do fiber glass work for a living before I started working on jets. I can't wait to get the Manners, 12 weeks is a lifetime when you're 61 but what the hell, good things take time.

Don't know if it would help but if Manners got enough request then maybe they would start making the chassis for the SPR. What the heck it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm down to 11 weeks now and it still seems like it's light years away before getting that baby.

Sounds like your T4A shoots like a dream, I'm going to be working up a load for 175 SMK's and hope mine does better. It's a dead stock out of the box rifle but what the heck, if it shoots 3/4 or less hopefully I'll be a happy camper. Maybe I'll get it trued up and a good trigger later on if funds become available.

Old Salt,

I have ran several of the Manners ( Badger ) Mini Chassis, I have had excellent luck with all of them, Tom and Badger both make great products.

When I got my first mini chassis, I shot it without bedding and compared the difference after bedding, it was so minimal that it could have been the difference between cheek weld, conditions, etc. The rifle was shooting in the low .300's before bedding and in the high 200's with a complete bedding. I have not bedded any of them since. I would just make sure that the action is not touching anywhere in the channel and shoot it.....

Hope this helps.

I too was in your situation, waiting for my Manners stock with the mini chassis system. After getting it, installing my action, and taking it to the range, it shot better than when it sat in the HS. Not to mention the added benifits of the mag. It will be well worth the wait. Have fun, shoot often.