• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Brake or not to brake.

JimbugIII

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Southern U.S.
I have a Rem 700 30-06, the Mtn Lss. This rifle is as beautiful as it is versatile, but due to it's light weight I've found that the recoil can make it difficult if not near improbable to make quick follow up shots.

I'm considering bringing it to have a muzzle brake installed, should i doe that or just suck it up?

Re: To Brake or not to brake.

There is nothing wrong with having a brake on it. At the end of the day, it's the hit that counts.

Brakes suck...but if Brian (427Cobra) is gonna keep shooting right next to you with his loud ass brake, you might as well have one too.....

Mtn Rifle? So hunting rifle, right? NO BRAKE!

Brakes on fun shooting guns that you'll have time to use ear pro with, no way on hunting rifles. To loud, make you deaf, you'll say huh? a lot like I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtn Rifle? So hunting rifle, right? NO BRAKE!

Brakes on fun shooting guns that you'll have time to use ear pro with, no way on hunting rifles. To loud, make you deaf, you'll say huh? a lot like I do. </div></div>

Huh? Did you say something Jason? You need to type into my good ear.

i have to second the no brake on a hunting rifle , a brake make a huge differece in noise {to me }. i have found that repacing the butt pad every few years make a very notable difference .

Aight, thanks guys.

The verdict is that I should suck it up and deal with it. Sounds like I just saved a few hundred bucks.

Its a 3006 it cant kick that much. Now I have a Kimber Talkeetna in 375 It can kick, but when you schwacking critters you dont notice

If you want a brake do it..........many of the better brakes are pretty easy on the shooter they are just tough on people around you. If you hunt with a partner have him directly behind you when you touch off on the trophy. You don't want a flinch to make you miss the wall hanger. Plus there are plenty of "game ear" type products that shut off muzzle blast but allow you to hear game in the woods at an enhanced level. Look at the Vais brake the noise study done by a 3rd party comparing guns with the brake on and off is pretty interesting and may just push you over the top.

Its your rifle man! if you feel a brake is going to help then why listen to a bunch of people on the net? Brake the damn thing, if you dont like it, you are only a thread protector away from going back.

Just my .02c

Shoot lighter-weight bullets. Forget the brake.

Personally, I would likely put a brake on it. All about personal preference though.

If you are on the fence I'd brake it, with a non-indexed version, and get a thread protector so you don't HAVE to use the brake.

I like to do a lot of range shooting with my hunting rifles and the brake is nice for that, then you just verify your dope without the brake and hunt without the brake. Everyone is different when it comes to recoil sensitivity. I see a lot of guys with big rifles that say recoil doesn't bother them, but you can SEE them flinch on the range. If the recoil is really messing with you, your best option is probably to go to a smaller caliber.

I would not hunt with a brake unless I knew I was going to have setup time and no stalking was involved, which pretty well would only be in a blind, or was going to spend a lot of $ on custom molded electronic game ear type setup. I won't wear electronic muffs in the field and I won't hunt with foam or molded ear plugs in.

As for faster follow up shots, I don't think it's the issue you are making it out to be. Now if you want to see your hits it may be, especially if you have to shoot from a poorly supported position, but even on a light 06' with good position and follow through it should be possible to easily get back on target and run the bolt for fast follow up shots.

I'm happy my light sporter barrel 30-06 m70 boss has a brake, it really helps recoil which otherwise be harsh on a light weight hunting rifle, but damn it is really really LOUD, i had a small buck in my crosshairs this year that i walked up on while hunting, first thing that ran through my head was damnit hes got me froze and i don't have my earplugs in, that's not a reason not to shoot one, but when your ears ring for a few days from the last time it does run through your head,

If it wasn't already braked I wouldn't put one on it. thats just my experience in reference to your OP. It's your rifle do with it what you will.

Hmm...I like brakes. So my vote is to brake it. I hunt with electronic muffs. I have lost to much of my hearing already so even with a non braked rifle.

Take care,Stan

PS...you can see my "mouse ears":

Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided that the rifle is probably fine, and I'll take it as an opportunity/excuse to better refine my skills.

P.S. Those are some nice looking yotes.