• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

to buy an AMP annealer or not, that is the question

Well hell, I spent $1195 to save $260.

Mr. Litz, I'm a Gasser Dapper Dan man...
that's a reference to work/strain hardening
for those in Rio Linda or took woodshop as a higher free elective. ;)

Your order

Product
Quantity​
Price​
Discount​
Subtotal​
Attached Item​
Pilot 50
1​
$19.95​
$19.95​
$0.00​
-​
Pilot 11
1​
$19.95​
$19.95​
$0.00​
-​
Pilot 17
1​
$19.95​
$19.95​
$0.00​
-​
MK.2 Annealer
1​
$1195.00​
$0.00​
$1195.00​
-​

Discount $59.85

Shipping $0.00

Total $1,195.00

Best to all.

I hear you and I shall add that book to my AB Book List. Thank you for letting me/us know.
BUTT!!!
For the SALT ANNEALING folks:

EDIT!!! I SCREWED UP THE URL!!!
I gotsta let you know... You got punked.

I’m a bit skeptical on this since amp did the article. Seems like legit data but nobody is gonna do the research to say if it’s wrong or right.
What a great way to downplay other methods and sell lots of annealing machines.

I’m a bit skeptical on this since amp did the article. Seems like legit data but nobody is gonna do the research to say if it’s wrong or right.
What a great way to downplay other methods and sell lots of annealing machines.

Why? Rockwell Testers run $2-12K from analog, digital, to digital superficial. Hell, I figure the odds are any one with a Salt Bath Annealer could send brass to their local or nearby state's Tech University of choice for the exact testing required with a small fee [if not free as a student/Professor project]. Be da-da-damned if I can see AMP pissing away their reputation for testing that is so easy to duplicate in a certified lab and at an expense that should easily be covered by a group of naysayers from SnipersHide.com's Reloading Forums.

I've got $100 to throw in SH's AMPIsNotTheSaltOfTheEarth Annealing Project. So, who/whom is SH's SBA aficionado that can provide the brass to be tested?
:cool:

Reactions: SingleSeven
dagnbit!!! I purchased the AMP unit with 3 pilots with an Order Conf. on Nov 28 at 8:54 PM

Then, Alex sends a Tracking # on Nov 29 at 11:22 PM.

Wow, I'm thinking that that is some kind of service!!!

Well hell, just a few minutes ago I received one of the three FREE Pilots and
only one of the three FREE Pilots. FML. ;)

Lucky guy!
I put my order down on Friday, and was contacted by Alex that they ran out quickly. I’m just waiting for the next batch now.

I started annealing with hand method, then quickly realized that that was tedious and slow.
The I got the Annealeez, and production was quickened and consistency improved considerably. But it was still a bit slow.
Then I upgraded to the AMP Aztec. Super fast (2-3 seconds per round annealing time) - 50 rounds in 4 minutes if no interruptions.
It is the most expensive version of annealing, but it is VERY CONSISTENT. Making it well worth the expense.
Find a friend that has one. Buy the correct collet, and go to town.

I care more about if I have to do something rather than how long it takes. I can set it, fill up the hopper on the Annealeez, and do other operations as long as I'm hearing the *plink* of the rounds dropping into the bin. If it went faster but I had to set each piece in the machine it would be big net loss not a gain.

Agree with this. I kept my Giraud when I got my AMP. I use the latter for magnum stuff and 50 BMG where the volume/number of cases tends to be lower, and the Giraud for high volume stuff - like 1000 223 cases. I'm not sure I even need to waste time annealing those, but since I can set them in the Giraud hopper and forget it, I do it.

Got an AMP V2 machine with Aztec mode some 9 months ago. Happy (enough) with it and planning to keep it.

I was hoping the AMP machine would help improve accuracy, and that group size might reduce, from 0.35” to hopefully something like 0.25”. That did not happen. It seems that after switching to good brass, a good milligram scale, and a good die set, there are no more silver bullets left... Now it is all tiny incremental improvements, with diminishing returns.

I try to approach these things in a scientific way, so i run experiments, measure everything i can and record the data in my notebook. AMP gave mixed results, i guess not surprising, as all reloading equipment have their own pros and cons.

Pros:

1) Annealing time is quite fast, around 3-5 seconds per case. [I have not set up the case feeder yet. Not yet doing any bulk processing.]

2) Consistent annealing IF your neck thickness is fairly constant from case to case. This is generally true for premium brass with unturned necks with a fairly narrow weight range (2-3 grains delta). [Experiment: Take 20 pieces of cheap less-than-ideal brass from the same batch of factory hunting ammo, and run all of them though Aztec mode. Not all cases will show the same code... especially if case weight is very different. Results will probably be a little more consistent if you neck turn, but i have not tried it yet, and frankly neck turning cannot turn poor quality brass into premium brass. And i am also not suggesting that neck turning is required, just pointing out that small (or large) “errors” in manufacturing will propagate into post annealing material hardness and neck tension differences. Probably too small to worry about if you buy good quality brass, but good to be aware of it.]

3) Inert when turned off. Generally quite safe, just don’t touch the hot brass.

4) Fast Setup Time: Melt one case in Aztec mode and write down the setting, re-use that same setting next time. [This is a destructive test, one case is lost per batch. Always make me cringe, but yes it works. ?]

5) Shoulder setback is more consistent, and your FL die will need adjustment the first time if you switch from gas annealing to the AMP annealer, or change the shell holder (Redding shellholder set). Shoulders are softer, with less springback, and shoulder setback becomes more consistent.

6) Neck tension is a little more consistent IF you brush or tumble the cases post annealing. The AMP machine changes the surface finish of the necks on the outside and inside of the cases: Different texture, sticky to the touch, compared to the rest of the case, with a much higher coefficient of friction. [Checked this with the K&M arbor press with seating force measurement: Picked a bushing that should give about 0.002” “neck tension”. Seating force was around on average 160 lbs, which is very high, with large variation (110 to 190 lbs). Bullets seated with a loud thunk - a bit too violent. Post tumbling seating force came down to 60 lbs (almost 3x less), and range was narrower (53 to 74 lbs), so much lower and much more consistent actual bullet grip. [My best guess/conjecture: Might be the side effect of intense localized heating of the neck outer surface, which appears to oxidize. I get far more consistent seating force (and now butter smooth seating feel, with no sudden thunk), if i tumble for 3 plus hours post annealing step. Yes: Enough carbon remains in the case necks, but i use Imperial dry lube as well.]

Disadvantages:

1) Too expensive, should really cost closer to $500 if they want to achieve mass market success.

2) I did not see any improvement in SD (was already low, 7-9 fps) or group size (0.3 to 0.5” at 100) whether i anneal or not. Yes the seating force changes quite a lot if you don’t anneal for two reloads or more (2x higher), but it seems if you are in the middle of a nice wide node, even if speed goes up a little, that (at least in my case) it does not seem to matter that much. And positive compensation is always available to minimize the impact of speed changes to a degree. Of course YMMV! [I expect folks who don't do load development (who don’t try to exploit positive compensation) might actually see an improvement in SD.]

3) Might be different for others, and maybe it is the humid Gulf Coast climate rusting up my brass, but i have to tumble post annealing to get good consistency in seating force. [Perhaps try this experiment for yourself: Anneal a whole batch of 50, then tumble half the batch and keep half the batch intact, and observe how seating force and accuracy varies, if any. Honesty i really am keen to hear if you observed the same change.]

4) Aztec mode destroys one case per batch. Not the end of the world, but still....

5) Have burned myself once already, due to stupidity, and got a nice blister from it. Cases take a while to cool down, just use a tin foil baking tray (but no need to dunk them in water).

Others have mentioned the Bryan Litz experiment where he wrote up the effect of annealing every time vs not annealing at all vs annealing every few reloads, and yes there was no real difference. My own results are also inconclusive.

However, the Applied Ballistics team cleaned the barrel between each experiment and IMHO they did not fire enough fouling shots (two, i think), so perhaps a bit of a flawed experiment. Not meaning to throw rocks, they do good work for the community. [Would be great If they could repeat the experiment with a dirty barrel with at least 100 rounds through it, without cleaning it between experiments.]

Brass life: My 6.5 CM Lapua SRP brass fails after 25 plus reloads, when the primer pockets open up. I am a little worried about neck splits if i completely stop annealing my Lapua brass, so for me that is enough reason to keep doing it every three reloads. [Btw: Hornady LRP brass fails after 5-7 reloads, also due to primer pockets, and not convinced annealing is needed for the Hornady plinking ammo.]

In summary: I am keeping mine, mostly for productivity reasons and convenience. Annealing in my mind is a necessary evil to extend brass life, so it helps if it can be done quickly.

Last edited:
:D:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:
lava bath
1590598177941.gif

I already burned my finger with my AMP ( stupidly). I can only imagine the salt bath system would land me in the ER
NOT! Less hazardous than casting lead. You pretty much leave the salt in the pot and the system has a stainless steel cover with holes just large enough for one or two cases at a time. I notched a spatula to allow me to pick up two pieces of brass from the SS holder and dump them in the cooling bucket.

AMP Masterrace checking in.

Do you like fucking around with setting equipment up, only to not be sure its even set up correctly? If so, buy a Giraud or Annealeaze or whatever. Then google what the correct method of measuring/figuring out how hot the brass should get and get told 45 different things. No you don't need Tempilaq, yes you do, no it goes off brass color, no it goes off the color of the flame on the brass, no its only for 2.5689 seconds, rub your balls on it first.

Who the fuck knows. Who the fuck cares.

AMP. Turn it on. Stick the case in. Pull the case out. Go fuck around with something else instead of setting an annealer up for 45 minutes.

And fuck liquid salt bath shit. Sure it can get the desired outcome, but I can't imagine who thought melting shit to 500 degrees and then constantly sticking stuff in it with your hand was a brilliant idea.

Best answer ever. When it comes time to buy an annealer, AMP is what I will go with, time is money

My AMP is one of the best tools I bought. I can anneal 100 cases in 8 min, most people can’t even set their machines up and adjust them in that time. If you can afford a AMP you’ll never regret buying one.
To answer your anneal or don’t question, I’ll tell you from my testing that after 2 firings on case things change enough that it causes accuracy problems. I anneal every firing. A die will not bump shoulder or size neck correctly after 2 firings unless you move die down more or change bushings.

Agreed. I have peace of mind that my brass hardness will be perfect every time, as the hard work was already done for me in a lab. I had a Giraud that I converted to induction years ago, but I still had that nagging feeling in the back of my mind.....is it annealed? Is it cooked? Who knows, send it.
My neck tension feels exactly the same on every case now, I'm not joking. (you still have to be consistent on all other brass processing steps though)
I just need an AMP Mate now. Can't find one anywhere. I recently annealed 2500 .223 cases by hand. It took a couple of nights.