• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Knob it or Not

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    I am thinking a new knob for my rifle?

3990839794_a037aff53c_b.jpg

As requested:

So far I have taken a bone stock Remington SPS Tactical 20" .308 and added the following:

Mcmillan A-5 stock
    Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail
    Badger Ordnance M40A3 30mm rings
    Leupold MK4 6.5-20x scope
    Atlas Bipod (being built so not pictured above)
    Pre 1986 trigger set to 2.5lb (not pictured, just put it in this am 10/8)
    Tac ops stock pack.

Re: To Knob it or Not

Is there something your old knob doesn't do?

After you have used one the old one feels pretty small. Almost feels like going from a centerfire to a .22 bolt action. Real nice to use with gloves.

there isnt a need for them, but its your rifle. the regular old bolt knob works just fine for me IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you have used one the old one feels pretty small.</div></div>

That's exactly what my wife said to me about her first husband's knob when we got together!

Maybe it's just me, but factory bolt knobs seem to work just fine...

I took four rifles to the range yesterday and the first three that I shot had Badger knobs on them. The fourth didn't. After using the ones with the Badger knobs, the fourth felt like I was trying to pick up BB's off a table.

I prefer the stock Remington,I have a couple extended ones but still like the feel of the old style. Also they don't get caught on clothing,door jambs,car doors,seatbelts and anything else the extended bolt knobs seem to do.

Seems the game guns all have them and very few buisness rifles(M24,M40a3,Remington PSS,Remington LTR) do,take that for what it's worth. TJR

I have knobs installed on all of my rifles. I just received a new r700 & will have one installed asap. Just not used to the regular knobs for fast follow up shots. Besides using a regular knob with gloves in the middle of the northern winter stinks.

Field gun - no.

Comp gun - sure, why not.

They snag on everything you can find to snag them on and take up valuable space in your safe. However, they do make the bolt easier to manipulate and provide extra leverage to extract a tight case.

I have two with them and one without. Decided to try my latest build without one and I've decided that I prefer them.

No brainer dude. You will love the knob. I had both my 700 and my FN knobbed up. It looks totally badass, and makes cycling the bolt a pleasure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking a new knob for my rifle?

3990839794_a037aff53c_b.jpg
    </div></div>

Can you provide us with a description of this rifle? (Make, stock, rail, rings, glass, etc.) Looks nice.

Added info at the top as requested... i have an idea... post yours so I can see them!

Is there something wrong with the knob behind the rifle?
    laugh.gif

Just joshing.
    smirk.gif

Very nice shooter.

Yes good mod.

Didn`t your mother ever tell you.. if you play with your knob, you`ll go blind.. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Added info at the top as requested... i have an idea... post yours so I can see them!</div></div>

ever thought of a KMW knob? I like them better than the badger.

101_0390.jpg

I admit to having a KMW knob (which I keep well-covered
    wink.gif
    ). And I do like it.

My vote is no b/c you had to ask others if it was okay to put a badger knob on your rifle.

You have to make your rifle how you want it to be. Not how others want your rifle to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Added info at the top as requested... i have an idea... post yours so I can see them!</div></div>

This is the only pic of the SPR I have on my mac right now; IMO the rifle still looks badass with the knob in this mediocre pic, and my girl digs it too
    grin.gif
    . It is being worked on at CDi Precision right now (having AI bottom metal installed), so when I get it back, I will post a better one. I will post my 700 .300WM tomorrow after I take a pic.

DSCF3352.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Brace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is no b/c you had to ask others if it was okay to put a badger knob on your rifle.

You have to make your rifle how you want it to be. Not how others want your rifle to be. </div></div>

I really do not care how others want it to be and I am sorry some understood it that way. Trust me I built this rifle the way I want it. I guess what I should have asked is do you like your oversized BOLT knobs and why. Many of the folks on here have given me their experiences which is exactly what I was looking for. Again sorry for not being clear in the beginning.

I have decided to hold off at this time. I will revisit the knob at a later date. Thanks for all the wonderful and informative replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have decided to hold off at this time. I will revisit the knob at a later date. Thanks for all the wonderful and informative replies. </div></div>

frown.gif

No need for a frown.. I just have some other priorities right now. I just dropped quite a bit into the gun so to give myself something to look forward to I am going to wait. I love the look of the knob!!! I just want it done right and I like to shoot so I do not want to send off the bolt right now. So I will wait till the weather stinks and send it off to be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reewik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for a frown.. I just have some other priorities right now. I just dropped quite a bit into the gun so to give myself something to look forward to I am going to wait. I love the look of the knob!!! I just want it done right and I like to shoot. So I will waite till the weather sticks and send it off to be done. </div></div>
    smile.gif

By they way, it looks like you have built yourself a very nice stick. I am planning on building something similar very soon. Didn't mean to come across rash. I was just saying that it is your gun. Congrats on the nice build. Looks good. -dan

Last few times I was out I was using gloves. Getting chilly this time of year here.

I would do it... shipped mine to GAP last week
    smile.gif
    I just like the way it looks, and if it makes it easier then thats great also!

Nice rifle btw
    Jake

Reewik, here is a better pic of my Rem 700 .300WM with the sweet ass knob:

DSCN0215.jpg

You like it or no?

it appears you went far to put tactical enhancements into it already, no knob on that thing would seem out of place.

the knob is functional anyway, and looks like you have invested $ into the rest of the setup, why sell it short a few more bucks and not get a knob?

it may look or be crooked is comparison to others, but it may be hooked that way to either get a better grip when manipulating the bolt, or put it more convienantly positioned to the trigger, or both.

-12*F and no cycling issues,but bolt knob as a fasion statement is a personal thing

Picture034.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-12*F and no cycling issues,but bolt knob as a fasion statement is a personal thing

Picture034.jpg

</div></div>

Nice gun!

I like them IF they don't interfere with my trigger hand position.
    I especially like them for rifles I reload for as that can get a little sticky when experimenting.