• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To lube or not to lube. That is the question.

jconn

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Once fired 308 lapua brass. fired by my rifle.
these 100 cartridges are dedicated to this rifle (trg22)

do i need to
a) perform full case resize or is just a neck resize acceptable?
b) if only a neck resize is acceptable, do i need lube?

my thoughts:
read that if brass has been fired from a bolt-gun chamber and is to be used again in that same rifle the chamber has sized it perfectly already.
is performing a full cartridge/deprime stroke on a press taking away from the life span of my brass vs using a neck only/deprimer die?

thx.

Might be somewhat true if you indexed brass to orient at 12:00 on each case relative to previous firings. In the real world even the LR BR guys are FL sizing and shoulder bumping .001 or so.
Good method is to get a Redding Type S FL bushing die.
Good luck with your shooting .
RTH

Depends on the context of your shooting. If you plan on controlled shots from the bench, neck sizing is fine.

For what I do, which is often a lot of fast shots in field conditions, I bump the shoulder just a touch so there is never any funky resistance to chambering.

For brass dedicated to specific both action rifle, I just neck size.

Use a neck bushing die to give you the tension you want, and just dry lube the case neck with mica if you are not using a carbide bushing.

I neck size only after they've been fired once in the chamber they're going back in.

"b) if only a neck resize is acceptable, do i need lube?"

Yes, it will help your dies live longer, the brass won't work harden as quickly,..

so this is a first load, do it all, learning the ropes, kind of load.
175gr hpbt and 43gr re15
i simply primed, threw my powder in, and seated bullets to 2.8
was told band new lapua was about as close to perfect as it comes out of the box.
i need to read up on 'bumping' the shoulder now...

next question is can you use a fl resizing die and only do ~half a stroke to resize only the neck?

so this is a first load, do it all, learning the ropes, kind of load.
175gr hpbt and 43gr re15
i simply primed, threw my powder in, and seated bullets to 2.8
was told band new lapua was about as close to perfect as it comes out of the box.

next question is can you use a fl resizing die and only do ~half a stroke to resize only the neck?

You starting load sounds solid - I bet you see good results right off the bat - when you say "threw your powder" you want to be sure you weigh each load for precision.

"Bumping the shoulder" means how for back you push the shoulder when you full length size. There are several tools that can measure how far back the shoulder moves after re-sizing. (RCBS Precision MIC or the Hornady insert for calipers) And how far back it moves is dependent on how far down you turn you die. The least bit of shoulder bump is all that needed.

A while ago, I unwittingly messed up my die settings and was pushing the shoulder way too far back and got case head separation within 4 loads.

And yes, you can use a FL die for neck sizing - it's a full stroke, but you just back out the die until the shoulder is not pushed or you screw the die out a ways, resize and measure the shoulder - keep turning the die a little until you see the shoulder move, and then dial back a eighth or quarter turn or so.

Good luck.

oh ya! i triple weighed. first load ever.

i remember that, or the first load on the 338 lapua. went from 45gr to 92 on the lapua like ok thats alot of powder gonna check and recheck, dont want that blowing up in my face.

what scale are you using?

New brass should be sized as well, the necks will sometimes be out of round from shipping.
Shoulder bumping/ neck sizing is done with bushing dies like the Redding S type, the bushings allow you to fine tune the neck tension. You can use the FL die to bump the shoulder but it's intended to resize the brass to SAMI spec.

I use the redding competition dies. I just neck size for about 3 firings before my bolt starts to get stiff upon closing. I use titanium nitrided neck bushings with no lube. After the 3rd firing (if it needs it) I body size bumping the shoulder back .001 and trim the neck. I shoot a mild 43.9g varget behind my 175smk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it depends on the chamber. I have a 30-06 that has a big chamber. I neck size after the first firing then bump. Before annealing some brass was so hard it could be neck sized two times before bumping is needed. At that point bump every loading there after until brass fails.