• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes To MOA base or Not to MOA base...that is the ?

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
Didnt see any current posts on this recently.

At what distance does it become imperative for a typical "medium height ring mount"?

Re: To MOA base or Not to MOA base...that is the ?

That totally depends on your set up, velocities, etc..

Need more info from you on this one...

For me, SPS Tactical .308, 20'' barrel, around 2450mv, with a 20moa base, and still have to hold over almost 3 mil dots at 1000y...

Probably better to have and not need than need and not have IMHO.

So long as you have at least 40moa of total elevation, put a 20moa base on.

If you have less than 40moa of total elevation, and want to shoot out to 1000 yards, you will have to accept that you wont be able to get a 100 yard zero with a 20moa base. Less than ideal no matter what you do. If you dont put a 20moa base on, then you will have to hold over, a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably better to have and not need than need and not have IMHO.</div></div>

this... im runing 40moa bace on my razor, this gives me enough to get to 2k+

what caliber, load, and scope?

i shoot a 6br to 1000y with a vortex pst and have plenty of elevation. i'm sighted in dead on at 100y.

but like the other guys said, if you are buying a base, buy a 20 and you won't have to worry. probably no downside that i can think of to have some built in.

cool deal..thats what i was figuring..at least 20 moa base to be safe

Thanks all for replying