• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

to mono pod or not, on AICS

al50bmgshooter

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
is there an advantage of using a mono pod over a bag in the rear? The pod looks cool on the AICS, but worth the $$ Thanks

Re: to mono pod or not, on AICS

I don't shoot an AICS. That said, I do find it easier to adjust for varying terrain and small adjustments with a rear bag. I have never been a big fan of monopods.

Josh

I have a monopod and use it on flat ground at p. dog type matches where there isn't much movement and we are in the same place for awhile and I don't want to squeeze a bag for that long. If you aren't on concrete, it's best to put the pod on a tab bag or such. For more action type matches, I have been folding the pod up and using a bag. My only complaint on the AI stock is the lack of much of an angle on the bottom for elevation adjustment.

I have both the pod and the tab bag with an AICS 1.5. I find my process for getting straight behind the rifle is enhanced with the pod. I can get behind the rifle and set up the sight picture and parallax on target and then stand up and go through my process to make sure I'm perfectly straight without the rifle moving. I like to have the bag there in case I run out of elevation on the pod due to terrain. Over time I'm realizing fewer and fewer mistakes on body alignment because I can leave the rifle sitting there while I start over. I'm thinking over time my prone position will become more and more repeatable because of this practice.

Had a POD on mine, stayed folded in lieu of a bag. Did make for a nice sand though.

Both are handy and I use both - sometimes together. On the AI it folds up out of the way when not in use so (as long as you don't mind that extra bit of weight) what can it hurt to have?

Try running and gunning with a bean bag and you will cuss it like a red headed step child. I have the Accushot monopod on my AICS and it performs. Under stress and duress you grip the monopod with your weak hand just like you are supporting the rear of the stock and start shooting while in the prone. You do not have to worry about squeeze up or squeeze down like on a bean bag. It is rock solid and if you are in a position to get set up in a timely manner the three legged stance is rock solid once you load your bipod. For observation it is a great piece of hardware. If you get the length of pull kit for your AICS make sure you let Accushot know that you need the longer bolts for it.