• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To much wind?

gun poor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2013
SW kansas
How much wind do you folks consider to much when your practicing at 500 yards or more. I'm trying to learn wind adjustments better but living in SW Kansas it gets a little challenging its blowing 35-40 mph today and was only able to hit my 16 inch steel once out of five shots. Shooting 338lm 300gr at 2610 so it does get a little expensive just wondering what you guys thought.

If you are learning to shoot the 338 I would think it might be a little much wind but if your an experienced shooter looks like a great time to test you skills on wind calls. I ran the numbers at my DA through shooter and at 500 you have 2.7 mils of wind at 90 degrees which is comparable to a 1600 yard shot in 10 mph wind at 90 degree wind. And being a 338 I would think you have intentions of stretching it out in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Today the one out of five shots were at seven hundred yards and I was surprised I did that. I moved up from 300wm to the 338m in December shooting in the wind makes it seem easer on nice days . I try to shoot one of them at least twice a week but lately powder is a problem as every one knows. I have flags set out along my range every 200 yards and it is surprising how different the can be.

The answer to your question is going to be specific to you, and will depend on how well you are shooting with little to no wind. Long range shooting is all about variable elimination/control, so the key to learning the wind is to get the rest of the fundamentals down on low wind days. When you are boringly consistent getting hits doing that, then and only then will you be confident that on a windy day it was indeed a poor wind call that caused a miss. If you are limiting your shooting, and thus your learning, because the 338 is too expensive then you are shooting the wrong round for training. Go back to a 308 or other relatively poor wind performer and learn with that - it will show your mistakes in wind calling better and allow you to better tune that skill with less expense.

The answer to your question is going to be specific to you, and will depend on how well you are shooting with little to no wind. Long range shooting is all about variable elimination/control, so the key to learning the wind is to get the rest of the fundamentals down on low wind days. When you are boringly consistent getting hits doing that, then and only then will you be confident that on a windy day it was indeed a poor wind call that caused a miss. If you are limiting your shooting, and thus your learning, because the 338 is too expensive then you are shooting the wrong round for training. Go back to a 308 or other relatively poor wind performer and learn with that - it will show your mistakes in wind calling better and allow you to better tune that skill with less expense.

I agree; and, I would also say assessment of the call/strike corollary can identify wind error from other; so, what may be most important is shooter/target analysis. Of course, when shots are always called right-in-there most would speculate a shot not right-in-there would likely be about not correctly adjusting sights for distance, angle, or wind and weather conditions.

Last edited:
I can't say, except to suggest that once skill cannot be distinguished from luck, you are beyond the point of learning anything useful.

I believe that new, basic things are best learned on a smaller scale, then applied to the larger one. This permits the lessons to be more affordable and less stressful, as well as permitting them to be learned on a smaller playing field, which is usually more conveniently located. I also think that when the winds make extended distances more of a crapshoot than a precision exercise, the only real issue is that you can regain some control over the exercise by bringing the targets in closer to the shooter. There's still plenty to learn at the shorter distance that can be applied to the longer ones once the wind is more acceptable.

Finally, shooting in conditions that make hits improbable may be irresponsible in that a true marksman does not allow conditions to place things other than an intended target into jeopardy.

Greg

Thanks for the response, I do need to clear some things up a little. In my first post I made it sound like I was just shooting and praying but I do have an 8x8 back board behind my steel and I try to measure and record each shot. I was just getting a little frustrated with the big shift in wind speed. As far as it being kind expensive that was just me winning. I enjoy reloading almost as much as I do shooting. Once again thanks for all the insight

Good shooting David.

I usually practice with cheaper round, but you may not have that option, so go for it as long as you're only plinking steel and not game! Good luck practice makes you better, but not perfect in this sport. PERFECT seems to be very elusive to most!