• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

to muzzle brake a GAP 10 or not, that is the ?

Eagle1*

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2006
Ohio
Had my AR 10 for awhile now and after 80 rounds, I am wondering if I should put on a muzzle brake on it to help with the recoil? I ordered it with only the threaded barrel, no brake..

So, what do you guys think? I have a AAC brakeout on my 556 sbr due to the suppressor, but do not like shooting that gun at all without the can because of the damn noise and flash. Will this GAP 10 be just as loud if I use an AAC 308 brake on it? Thanks..

Re: to muzzle brake a GAP 10 or not, that is the ?

I have an 18.5 barreled GAP-10 with a Surefire brake. I've never shot it without somebody making a comment about how noisy it is. The guys on the line next to me at a class I took with it said it is like getting slapped in the face every time it fires. It doesn't bother me, just those around me.

Lol... My friends and I make jokes that we're annoyed with each others brakes... I have the SF brake and yes it is loud and annoying for those next to you, but for the user it's great. I just try and set-up away from others out of courtesy and warn those that come next to me about it. But, if i was there first and at the very end of the firing line and someone starts bitching my usual response is they can go f@#K themselves before I'll move because it's usually the same old bastards that spend more time chatting it up and making it a social event that actually shooting. Brass deflector shields also work well protecting the guys on the sides when moved farther forward than normal...

Yes, the brake will make it loud. The only way to offset noise of a muzzle brake is with a can. Or, deal with the recoil as is...

It's a simple matter of priorities, what's more important to you. Good luck!

After braking my AR10, I wouldn't shoot it without it. Yes, the blast increased to the sides. It worked great for dislodging the socialites at the range.

I just don't miss one on my POF 308. Everybody is different I guess and I don't find the gun has enough recoil or needs one to stay or target. I use a YHM QD flash hider for my can and they don't make one in a brake configuration so it was a necessary choice but I have never missed replacing the brake with a QD flash hider.