• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To Rebarrel or Not - That is the Question

Ranger822

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Colorado
I have an M-1A with a NM non-heavy barrel. It has less than 1500 rounds down it. My intent is to use it primarily for service rifle competition and some occasional hunting. First part of question is can I rebarrel it with a heavy barrel and have it still be considered a legitimate service rifle. If the heavy barreling is legitimate how much would a heavy NM barrel help with accuracy, all other things being considered equal. Lastly, what would be the approximate weight difference between the barrels? Recommendation and info please.

The heavy barrel is not considered an external modification, so it is legal for service rifle competition. Not sure about the weight difference - it's been a long time since I've screwed with my M1As much. I'm guessing about 2 pounds difference, just off the top of my head.

Hmmm, don't think there is 2 lbs difference between the regular and heavy barrel. But I have never measured them. If it shoots reasonably well, I'd shoot out this barrel before rebarrelling. Depending on the current stock, you may be able to pick up some additional weight by going with a McMillian fiberglass stock or a max dimension wood stock.

Man at 1500 rds I wouldn't mess with it unless it just won't shoot. The 10 ring in Service Rifle Comps is about 3moa.