• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors To remove restrictions from NFA....

islandermyk

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Aurora, Colorado
Sign the petition
cool.gif

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...crimes/NsmRRRLj

Re: To remove restrictions from NFA....

I think I would rather just keep it the way it is than to draw attention to it and get even worse restrictions. The way it works now is frustrating, but it does work--it just takes some time. If some of the liberals realize that we have access to these weapons they won't stop until they get em. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would rather just keep it the way it is than to draw attention to it and get even worse restrictions. The way it works now is frustrating, but it does work--it just takes some time. If some of the liberals realize that we have access to these weapons they won't stop until they get em. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

good point

I agree with the above post, and I have something else to add. We all hate that these things that are perfectly legal to own are so annoying to get, but that so annoying to get factor also plays to our advantage. Only legitimate shooting enthusiasts are willing to go through the trouble to obtain Class 3 items. If a suppressor was as easy to get as a regular gun one day, we would see them banned entirely the next because crime with them would jump. The current stat (I believe) is that no legal class 3 item has ever been used in a crime. Do you think this would stay that way if you could get one from wal mart?

I hate the NFA as much as the next guy, but thanks to James Bond and other action movies suppressors especially already carry the "scary" factor for a lot of people, making them easier to get for people that may not use them legitimately would only make this worse.

I know my points may seem like an indirect call for tighter gun laws, or a validation of certain states' laws, but I also believe compromise is necessary. The trade off for the tighter control is that these items' legality stays under the radar. I wish I lived in a world where I could get a suppressor and a machine gun from my local dealer with no hassle as I would never use such things illicitly, but the same cannot be said of everyone.

I can see SBR's and machineguns that would probably be a good idea to remain as NFA items, but suppressors.... I hear in Europe they sell'em like hearing protection.

Sad....

+1 on both above. Just keep them thinking about the Fiscal Cliff and other things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drew H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The current stat (I believe) is that no legal class 3 item has ever been used in a crime. Do you think this would stay that way if you could get one from wal mart? </div></div>

Lawfully owned NFA weapons have been used in crimes, the numbers are small though, only a handful like 5 or 6.

Why not a compromise of the above 2 and do a 1 time check or card.

That is a fantastically elegant solution to my long winded problem. I like it. Like how my CHL allows me to bypass the background check when buying a firearm here. Not a license to buy the item per se, but a license to get them quicker. I'll happily keep paying the $200 tax if I could get Class 3 same day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not petition for about 50 new NFA examiners? </div></div>

Shit... 500 new ones!!! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not petition for about 50 new NFA examiners?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not petition for about 50 new NFA examiners? </div></div>

Shit... 500 new ones!!! lol</div></div>

I love the way you guys think!!!

Last I checked, there have been a grand total of two violent crimes committed with legally registered machine guns. BOTH of those crimes were committed by police officers. One of those guns was owned by an officer and used in a drug-related murder, the other was stolen by an officer and used on his wife. Also, a couple years ago a few towns away from me, a PA corrections officer shot a man with a suppressed 308 in order to steal his full-auto rifle (no lie).

While getting machine guns and grenade launchers deregulated might be a stretch, I think getting suppressors, SBR's and SBS's off the NFA would be quite doable in the current political climate. I mean think about it, who in the world can articulate a half-way cogent reason why a rifle with a 15" barrel should be more strictly regulated than a rifle with a 16" barrel? Sure, it's marginally more concealable, and so is a handgun or a takedown rifle. The law just doesn't make any sense, and most people know that.

With suppressors, the battle will be to change the "assassin" association by re-framing their purpose as hearing protection and common courtesy. Maybe we should start calling them "mufflers", it sounds more benign. It would make it a lot easier if hunters would start using them (in states where that's legal, of course), give them just a little bit of a sporting connotation.

Most Americans are actually quite pro-gun rights, and a lot of them are pretty rational, too. I think this is totally feasible, and I do NOT think the current system is working just fine. A nine-month wait and a needless $200 tax just to make my gun quieter is wholly unacceptable to me; and all the asinine little rules that keep changing, the ATF agents constantly searching for an excuse to put you in jail, nope, sorry, I am NOT okay with the way it is. More NFA guys for a quicker turnaround is a good start, but the whole thing needs to be done away with.

As for the argument that trying to kill the NFA would draw attention to the fact that these things are legal, I am convinced that the reason some people are so scared of suppressors and the like is that they aren't used to them. People are scared of what they aren't used to. If enough people carry around guns, nobody will be scared of guns anymore because they're exposed to them every day. Likewise, if suppressors are deregulated and become more common, people will get less scared of them.

Many good points, but if we continue to be lead by a CIC who feels that "weapons designed for soldiers don't belong our streets", and more than half the country voted for him, I think there would be quite a backlash if this were suddenly thrust into the spotlight, and the mainstream media got ahold of this.

Instead, it needs to grow slowly. Quietly, but not secretly. Until they are almost as common as firearms themselves (talking about suppressors--same principle applies to other NFA items though). That's my take on it at least.

I wouldn't mind the system staying in place if it became faster and if they lifted the ban on manufacturing and importing firearms such as machine guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many good points, but if we continue to be lead by a CIC who feels that "weapons designed for soldiers don't belong our streets", and more than half the country voted for him, I think there would be quite a backlash if this were suddenly thrust into the spotlight, and the mainstream media got ahold of this.

Instead, it needs to grow slowly. Quietly, but not secretly. Until they are almost as common as firearms themselves (talking about suppressors--same principle applies to other NFA items though). That's my take on it at least. </div></div>

I'm sure this is what you meant but half the country didn't vote him. Only slightly more than half of the people who voted, voted for him. We really need to get more people who think like us to vote in people who will make a change. Local, state and federal. It all matters.
The media and gun control nuts don't care about silencers. They want the guns. If they get that you can have all the silencers you want.
I'm in Washington where 16 months ago you could own a silencer but it was a crime to use a silencer. Talk about stupid. This was fixed, so I do believe there is room to push for more sensible laws. Paying $200 and waiting 6-12 months is not sensible IMO. They really shouldn't be harder to get then the actual firearm.

Hmmm....

Yeah I think the current process does keep NFA pretty much exclusively in our hands and mostly keeps the media from putting much attention towards NFA which is good, but....

I find in outrageous that a private citizen can be charged with a felony, have everything they own taken from them, and be thrown in prison for not having a "tax stamp", whatever the hell that is......

hmmmm....not sure still but I do know not having some bullshit government stamp shouldn't allow the government to throw you in prison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would rather just keep it the way it is than to draw attention to it and get even worse restrictions. The way it works now is frustrating, but it does work--it just takes some time. If some of the liberals realize that we have access to these <span style="text-decoration: line-through">weapons</span> <span style="color: #CC0000">NFA ITEMS </span>they won't stop until they get em. Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

Let's use proper terminology as to not convey the sounds of violence. We are not hoarding "weapons" we are collectors of firearms. Which is our constitutional right.

smile.gif

The American Silencer Association.......A group of silencer industry executives has been actively lobbying Congress and the ATF for changes in the system. I applaud them for their efforts. Hopefully we'll see progress sometime next year.

http://americansilencerassociation.com/