• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To SASS or not to SASS . . .

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I have an LR308B with an 18" bull barrel. I'm upgrading to a flattop A3 receiver and a four-rail handguard. I noticed that there are some SASS barrels out on gunbroker for $275.

So, is it worth switching? Is weight the only thing I'm saving? Can I expect any improvement in accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: To SASS or not to SASS . . .

I would recommend you go with a Rock Creek barrel instead,its a bit more money but youll be happy.I had a Dpms Sass 308 and had a hard time getting it to shoot at long range.In My opinion id skip the sass barrels,your current barrel is probably more accurate.

also i have seen sass barrels new for $180. they work best with the sass gas block which dpms will sell you for $90. try kreiger from fulton or black hole weaponry will make you one for a decent price. rock creek is a good option, but they need some smithing i believe

I don't think the DPMS sass barrel is any different than the 18" bull one other than fluting and a low profile gas block. I've shot both and accuracy was identical (I own a sass barreled one btw). If I were to pick a barrel right now it would be a krieger. Rock barrels is an option too I think the POF rifles use them and I really like the profile on their 20" models.

i searched and found a place that has polygonal rifling and comes ready to drop in, 16" or 18" are all $215.

i think you are right about the bull and sass comparison. still one place will sell them for $180 so i cant see paying too much more than that. and i would wait for them to be in stock at the cheap place. but $215 is decent for 16 or 18, i just gotta decide.

also, you can turn that sass profile down some to make it lighter. its epoxy coated, but i mean the bull profile in general

when I changed my DPMS barrel I went with a Bartlein 5R. It is a nice barrel. You also have to think why are all these SASS barrels out there? Someone took them off their SASS'es to put on a match/better barrel. Go get that other barrel and I bet you will be better off.

Don't get the SASS barrel. Save your money and get a 1/10 Bartlien, Rock, etc...

while i was searchcing i read that they were or are douglas air gauged match barrels. dont know if thats still true. but with everything pretty close in costs from what im seeing, i just cant make myself buy a DPMS barrel. $100 more in some cases gets you a kreiger criterion from fulton. after that, kreiger match, rock, noveske are all more, but so much better quality. you can get the same profile from any of the makers as the sass.

one thing, when i checked on bartlein, they only do blanks? they dont turn a profile for an ar. is that what anyone else found? anyone sell a bartlein drop in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one thing, when i checked on bartlein, they only do blanks? they dont turn a profile for an ar. is that what anyone else found? anyone sell a bartlein drop in?</div></div>
I got mine from GA Precision. You might PM George Gardner or Jeff Hayes (Flounder) and ask them.

Boobs - boobs - boobs - bouncy - bouncy - stop the madness!!!