• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes To scope or not

wilson1911

Bantha Poo Doo
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Oklahoma
I just purchased a 338 LM on a XLR chassis. The current scope I have on it is a F1 NF 3.5x15 mil. I am finding that I want more magnification for a gun this big. My current dilemma is whether to buy a S&B or the new Beast from NightForce. After doing a lot of reading I am not sure about the quality of the S&B, although more people are using them on bigger guns. I do not care if the scope has fancy buttons or not, just a F1 and good glass.

I do not usually buy something when it first comes out, but NF has a good reputation. While there seem to be many posts around the net over the QC of the S&B now days. I know they are good scopes. This is my first bolt action rifle and try at long range shooting. In my personal opinion the caliber is overkill, but the gun shop had built it for another customer which was supposed to pick it up 2 months prior. There lies the good deal I got on it, gotta love left hand actions that nobody wants.

So I have two questions for the guys who have been doing this for a while.

1. Wait a bit and shoot the gun more before I decide to get another scope ?????

2. buy a S&B which may have quality problems or get the new beast.

I know there are other questions that are left unsaid, and may leave you wondering, so I will try to answer a few. Everyone around here shoots long range, I am more of a tactical AR-15 guy, but no one else is. I have been to 2 Costa classes and loved it. I have been reloading for 5 years on a dillon, but I am still new to the single stage press. I work with a bunch of guys that help me out with working up a load for it so far. It has been fun and a learning experience in many ways. I am just learning how to get behind the gun better and still testing loads, just waiting for my 300gr scenars to get here. I have access to a 1400 yard range, as well as shooting with friends at work who own property.
Lastly, the other pinch I am in is......I just ordered a SR-25 and was planning to put the NF on it before this purchase. So I am still down a needed scope to be able to shoot both guns.

just reading around the net. Most say the older ones are better. If I am wrong please school me.

S&B tactical scopes only have 2yr warranty. Some had issues with the new MTC turrets. Have a BEAST on order, but who knows when it will arrive. Have been using the March FX 5-40 56mm nonilluminated scope on my 338 MRAD and love it. Mirage can be big issues at high power and lower FOV, but just dial down to 30X. Can't beat them for $3200 price. Kahles and Steiner also go options and really don't need more than 25X for 1500 yds. See if you can find the scope you're considering, so you can try the optics, turrets and zero stop.