• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To the tick turds that keep hoarding the .22 lr stores, I will be laughing hard

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
When they are stuck with a 10x life time supply and the market adjusts. Enjoy, only have two more commemorative NASCAR boxes left but that should get me thru.

I'm starting to see it show up in stores down here now, albeit slowly. A few months ago .22 was just a distant memory. Yesterday I was able to pick up a box of Federal Auto Match. It's not the greatest in a bolt, but works pretty darn well in my Remington auto rifle and my S&W Mod. 41.

They had more, but I'm not really about getting all I can, just what I need for a fun time now.

That doesn't mean that I haven't stocked up a little bit so that I can keep shooting. It just means that I don't have a ten year supply squirreled away.

One good thing about having enough for 10 lifetimes is you never have to buy it again or even stress about it. LOL

I bought my stash at the right price and going by history, the stuff never gets any cheaper.

You watch, when the dust finally settles, we will be paying higher average prices for ammo than we were before this mess started.

Wait till you see how much ammo will cost you if the Democrats gain control of the house in 2014, wait till you see how much ammo will cost if Hilary gets elected in 2016...

With that last American lead smelter closing in December, I have a feeling lead is going to get a lot more expensive and so will bullets. I cringe when I think about what I will be paying for a 25 lb bag of shot for my trap habit next year.

I'm sorry, I just dont see anything in the future that is going to drastically lower prices.

Reactions: Rover31
One good thing about having enough for 10 lifetimes is you never have to buy it again or even stress about it. LOL

I bought my stash at the right price and going by history, the stuff never gets any cheaper.

You watch, when the dust finally settles, we will be paying higher average prices for ammo than we were before this mess started.

Wait till you see how much ammo will cost you if the Democrats gain control of the house in 2014, wait till you see how much ammo will cost if Hilary gets elected in 2016...

With that last American lead smelter closing in December, I have a feeling lead is going to get a lot more expensive and so will bullets. I cringe when I think about what I will be paying for a 25 lb bag of shot for my trap habit next year.

I'm sorry, I just dont see anything in the future that is going to drastically lower prices.

I hate to say but your right
all ammo will be more than what we paid for it just 3 years ago by at least 10% if not more

Federal Auto match is just regular 40gr right? Match to my understanding is subsonic. I thought they just put the name match on it for sales.

No, match ammo is loaded and tested to higher accuracy standards than regular ammo. Most but not all match ammo is subsonic. RWS R-100 is supersonic. Here is a comparison of 55 types of ammo fired through a Swiss made match rifle in an indoor tunnel .22 LR Ammunition Accuracy ? 55 Ammo Types Tested « Daily Bulletin The difference between the match ammo and the regular plinking stuff is quite large.

I got like 4 bulk things of remington (cause I tend to shoot a lot of 22 when I shoot 22) and like 400 cci stingers, 200 of cci hp. 22lr ammo is easy to get here just be at the store when it opens when they get shipments :) got my 22lr that way, and I got 3 bags of 260 rem brass. they had about 20boxes of some 40gr higher grade bulk ammo but it was $40 idr name.

Some of us don't have work schedules that allow us to sit around and wait for a shipment to be unloaded. Let alone beat all the retired folks and housewives to the shelf that have all the time in the world.

When the .17HMR came out, I had a former coworker turn hoarder. He was on disability (he was very fat) and had all the free time he needed, and would hang out at the biggest LGS all day. When .17 ammo came out, he'd just grab it. All. Every box, every case- all of it. Didn't shoot, hardly ever, and even then not much .17. Not even sure he had a rifle for it.
Wouldn't sell me any, ever, not once. I think he got a kick out of me asking for it. Asshole.

1911fan

I admit it's nice being semi-retired and it certainly has it's advantages! Can't wait to be fully retired in the next year or too. Ranges are pretty empty during the week too!

Cabelas in Louisville KY had a surprisingly decent supply of CCI 40gr Mini-Mags and Fed AutoMatch yesterday, limit one box per person for anything 100rd or greater.

The lead industry has been transitioning out of the United States for over a decade now. 85% of the lead smelting industry capacity migrated over the Mexican border where there are NO environmental regulations at all in regards to metal production. The remainder of production capacity will be online and running by the third quarter of 2014.

There has been no production disruption to speak of in obtaining lead or lead products. The auto battery industry among others has prepared for this eventuality for some time as they are reliant in the availability of lead and lead products. Thus far, the reduced production cost has been offset by increased transportation costs, being pretty much a net zero.

The increase in the cost of lead is reflected in it's commodity value. It is used all over the world, and is necessary for all types of industrial processes. If the cost is up, you can be assured demand is up.

The last lead smelter closing in December did not have enough capacity to supply even 10% of the battery industry much less the ammunition industry. The lead being used in ammunition today hasn't been coming from the United States for years already. The closing of that plant will not have any appreciable effect on lead availability at all. There is a great deal of lead processed here being extruded, made into shot, converted to wire, etc., but the smelting operation is only one part of the production process.

Meh, I like having plenty of .22lr in my stash. Beats having to drive all over town looking for a box or two when I want to go shoot. Thought about selling some during the panic, but decided to hold onto it.

Federal Auto match is just regular 40gr right? Match to my understanding is subsonic. I thought they just put the name match on it for sales.
Yeah pretty much. It is not subsonic nor is it really match in the sense of using it in a bolt gun. I do not know exactly why they named it such other than it works well in semi-auto rifles and pistols and that's what I guess it refers to. It does shoot well in my semi rifle and my S&W Mod41 as mentioned above.

When they are stuck with a 10x life time supply at 2013 prices, and the market adjusts upward like it already has, even at Walmart in the past two months. Enjoy, only have two more commemorative NASCAR boxes left but that should get me thru. Then I will have to go buy some more, for example Federal Automatch that was $13.47 at Walmart before October, but it now almost $18. Damn it.

fixt

Ammo will never be as cheap as yesterday. Quote gouging all you want, but my dad's $10 American Eagle bricks are up to $30-40 at big stores now. I bought .17hm2 at $5, and it's now no longer in production. Prices doubled easy.

I'm still shooting Win Dynapoints I bought 15 yrs ago under 2 cents a round & no misfired but I bought 50k plus this year all under 5 cents a round just by catching them on sale/on line. Gander just has CCI HVs 1.99/50. I'm not hoarding, but I do introduce a lot of people to shooting & everyone that likes it is one less anti gunner.

If anybody know where I can get remington golden bullets, CCI 0030, or CCI 0074 for less than $.10/shot, I would be extremely grateful. I sent in a deposit on an AWC Ultra II January of '12 and the ATF finally approved my paperwork early October. I have waited 22 months for the damn thing and now can't find any plated ammo to shoot through it! I am signed up for dozens of email notices, but I usually get the emails while at work and it's all sold out by the time I get home...

I was able to find some CCI 0074s though (limit 2 boxes so 100rds) and it is scary quiet!

Thought of the OP when my dealer offered me a 500 rd box of 22lr for 28.99. Tempting, but I haven't shot my 22s for a while and still have some at home. Left it there just for you :)

Laugh all you want but it isn't gonna get any less expensive then the .05-.08cpr on avg that you can get it for right now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

it's like gas, when it stops selling the price will come down. Long as people are paying the new prices they'll stay where they are.

Just about every day & night of the week there are television shows about those who prep for the end of time, survival shows, gun related shooting news, terrorist attacks, our economy down fall,,, you name it - if it's bad news it's on the tube. Hell, there's groups of people out there that really think "zombies" are going to take over the world. I think folks by the millions are hording and profiteer's are still making a killing on just about any and everything they can lay their hands on that the "scared public" will buy.

The only cure I see for this is NOT to buy ammo from scalper's, but rather buy your ammo from our established supplier's when it becomes available. Most likely the days of the 2 to 3 and 4 cent .22lr round is gone. The new norm is probably going to be 5 to 10 cents a .22lr round for the "cheap stuff, and 8 cents and up per ,22lr round for the better stuff, with the premium stuff topping out at who knows where? It's a changing world for sure and it has caught up with us. Idiots far out number the reasonable folks by quite a bit in this day and age. Just my two cents worth from what I'm seeing, and with the new world we're living in I guess I might as well say. "my 8 cents worth"...........

Yep it really pisses me off that I can't even find any .22 so I can take my son shooting. I ripped into a guy that was bragging about how much .22 he had hoarded while he was buying the last box at the store.

I inherited some ammo when my grandmother passed away. It included some boxes of Hawthorne .22 Long Rifle Hollow Point ammo. I am guessing that she picked it up in the 70's. I understand that it was sold at Montgomery Wards. It has .99 stamped on the top of the box of 50 rounds. If my math is correct that's .02 cents per round. Seems expensive considering that I was buying bulk .22 lr for around .04-.06 cents per round until all the recent insanity.

I inherited some ammo when my grandmother passed away. It included some boxes of Hawthorne .22 Long Rifle Hollow Point ammo. I am guessing that she picked it up in the 70's. I understand that it was sold at Montgomery Wards. It has .99 stamped on the top of the box of 50 rounds. If my math is correct that's .02 cents per round. Seems expensive considering that I was buying bulk .22 lr for around .04-.06 cents per round until all the recent insanity.

this is exactly what is not being considered with all this pissing and moaning - 40 years ago gas was .75, a new car from 3000 and .22 10$ a brick.......

anyone who wants to buy the .22 for those prices, are you also willing to work for 2.50 an hour?

Yep it really pisses me off that I can't even find any .22 so I can take my son shooting. I ripped into a guy that was bragging about how much .22 he had hoarded while he was buying the last box at the store.

Here you go brother. It might not be at the stores in town, but some regular dealers online have it coming in all the time. I don't buy the bulk stuff because of my personal needs, but there's pleanty of it in my local stores. The only thing is that it's not $2.00 for 50 anymore, and these are not fly by night guys selling it either. I'm talking a firearms business that's been around since the 60's. BTW, how much anyone wishes to buy with their money is up to them. They do the looking and find the way to get it. That's no big secret. Anyone can do the same. I started shooting .22s about 6 months ago and heard everyone say that ammo was impossible to find. That is absolute bullshit. I have not stopped shooting every weekend, and have an ample amount of .22 ammo. Plan to buy more too.

Bruno Shooters Supply: SK
Bruno Shooters Supply: Wolf
Bruno Shooters Supply: Eley

In Case you don't like Brunos

Champion's Choice - Detail1 - A01100 - Eley .22 LR Match EPS (per 50 Rounds) - Ammunition - Champion's Choice
https://www.elitegunsusa.com/p-53155-wolf-22-lr-match-extra-40gr-box-of-50.aspx
Find 22LR Ammo in stock | WikiArms Live Ammo Inventory Tracking

I know it's not like it use to be that you could buy all the.22 ammo you wanted in just about any place you walked into, but winners find a way to make it happen in all times, good and bad. Plus they help others that really want the same thing. This is all I can do for you right now. Remember, nothing stays the same forever, so you need to overcome and adapt to new ways sometimes.

BTW, the local business selling bulk .22 ammo in my town is Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah Florida. That's in case you want to call them and ask if they will ship you some.

I don't get all the hostility toward people who prepared. The fact that I have 10K 5.56 rounds and thousands of 9mm and .45ACP shouldn't be something you're upset about. The fact you didn't prepare should upset you

I have 2 10-22's and a22/45 that all love CCI Blazer 40 grain gr. Lead round nose. Started buying 550 round bulk packs about 6 years ago whenever i found it at a decent price. I'm now in possesion.of over 20,000 rounds. When i started buying it bulk ot was around$8.50 per pack. Most i ever paid was $17. I'm pretty well set till i die. With 3the grandsons añd 2 grandauters who all like to shoot i still dont see.running out anytime soon.

Last edited:
yeah, been seeing some 22lr show up at stores lately. haven't seen the Federal 550 bulk packs though.

Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office. Ammo is easier to store.:rolleyes:

it's like gas, when it stops selling the price will come down. Long as people are paying the new prices they'll stay where they are.

Cabelas had the best deal on those , 4-525 packs in a new 50 cal ammo can for $99. I landed 7 cans or 14,700 rds & 7 new cans. Wanted 10 but they haven't shown back up.

yeah, been seeing some 22lr show up at stores lately. haven't seen the Federal 550 bulk packs though.

Got an email from MidwayUSA about CCI Mini-Mag (#0030) being in stock at ~2am EST. Ordered a case this morning.

I saw the most 22lr in stock last week when I stopped into a semi-local gun shop. I was meeting family for dinner down the road so I went early and stopped there for the first time. I saw 15+ cases of .22lr from Federal and Remington. I don't mean boxes I mean full cases not even opened up yet. They had bulk 525 Federal, Remington Golden Duds buckets, and another off brand bricks as well. Most of the cases seemed to be the Remington buckets. They were asking $25 for Federal or $70 for a bucket. I didn't buy any since I have a decent stash, and can't afford to spend money on ammo right now.

Got to remember a lot of new shooters in the last year. They are on the hunt for ammo also. May be a while before ammo companies ramp up.

I guess I can see both sides of the argument. I can't really speak against it as I have about 10K rounds stashed in my garage. I was one of the few that was lucky enough to stock up decently right before the Sandy Hook shooting and the government went British on us. I understand the frustration of individuals either just getting into shooting itself or just getting into the .22lr world as a cheap and great alternative to training and plinking with mass amounts of 5.56 or 7.62X39. I have definitely been one of the "bitchers and moaners" when I randomly got the opportunity to go shoot for the day, swung by the store to pick up ammo and there was none to be had... very frustrating. But like someone stated above, it isn't getting any easier or cheaper so hop on the wagon while it's still moving. A LOT of people out there don't want to buy the 50 rnd box because they'd rather wait until they find that 525rnd brick. and then when they want to shoot, they get pissed because they have none. But if you buy the random 50 rounders when you have the chance... they add up pretty damn quick and it doesn't kill your wallet

Please define for me the precise point when accumulating something becomes hoarding.

When they are stuck with a 10x life time supply and the market adjusts. Enjoy, only have two more commemorative NASCAR boxes left but that should get me thru.

Please define for me the precise point when accumulating something becomes hoarding.

My guess would be when you have more of something than the OP has.

Typical America anymore, you decided to trade your currency for ammo when it was two or three cents a round, (by the way that was 2009), instead of running down to get the latest 79 3/4 inch plasma TV, or a brand new I-whatever the fuck and now your some sort of hoarder.

I must have seen the light when me and the wife would go to wally and pick up six boxes each of the 525 pack federals and walk out the door for 201.00USD. That was the limit, and i wisely did that every week for quite a while.

If there is any way at all someone can explain how me doing that in 2009 has contributed to today's shortage, I'll ship you one of those 525 round boxes.

I'm the last guy in the company running a crackberry for a reason, I'd rather exchange my hard earned currency for something I'll have in three years than some shit that won't matter in three months, but I've always had an issue or two about things like this.....

That isn't what he is talking about.

Good for you for getting so many boxes of ammo when you could. What the op is talking about is all the pricks that buy up all of the ammo as soon as it hits the shelves. Now it is one thing if you go out and shoot it or give it to people to shoot. But many of these same people are sitting in their cars, or putting them up on line, later in the day to screw people over. I know a few people in my area that are doing this. Stand inline before the trucks get there and then buy everything they can, having family in line with them to get EVERYTHING. Then selling it for 3-5 times what they paid in the parking lot of said store. THAT IS THE PROBLEM!

YEah yeah yeah blab all you want about capitalism.....but this is just screwing your fellow man. And many if not all of these people are not even shooters. Have overheard people at stores talking about doing just this, buying the ammo as an investment for later. Unless you are going to shoot it or give it to friends and family that will shoot it, stop buying it.

That to me is what seems to be the problem.