• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tobacco plants

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
Does anyone have suggestions for a large variety of tobacco to grow? Most varities i see say they get 5-6'. My mom had a tobacco from FFA kids at her school a few years back and the thing grew 8-10' tall. Really all I want is a big plant with big flowers. I don't smoke or chew so the quality of the tobacco is entirely unimportant.

Is your plan to grow it outdoors in Colorado? In a greenhouse? Somewhere else?

Nicotiana tabacum is commonly used for our tobacco uses, grows to 10' tall. But needs tropical to sub-tropical climates.

Do you have any pictures of your mom's tobacco plant?

On topic, Ive been thinking a tobacco plant in the greenhouse would be cool, and more useful than some of the shit she has in there. Like, the obnoxious rhubarb plant that takes up a corner.

As Zeroz pointed out, you'd inadverdently hit/clicked "italics" when you typed out your statement. It is the 3rd icon from the left, at the top of the 'reply' box that you type in.

But then you brought up 'gay', and we all piled on. (pun intended) But then you made more 'gay-implying innuendo' and things just snowballed from there.

That help?

As Zeroz pointed out, you'd inadverdently hit/clicked "italics" when you typed out your statement. It is the 3rd icon from the left, at the top of the 'reply' box that you type in.

But then you brought up 'gay', and we all piled on. (pun intended) But then you made more 'gay-implying innuendo' and things just snowballed from there.

That help?
Thanks about the italics button, but I'm not following the rest.
No, I just got it. Lol, I just finished painting a truck body and I haven't painted like that in15 years so, between that and life, I was a little slow, oh well.😃

That help?
You said snowballed……!

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Is your plan to grow it outdoors in Colorado? In a greenhouse? Somewhere else?

Nicotiana tabacum is commonly used for our tobacco uses, grows to 10' tall. But needs tropical to sub-tropical climates.

Do you have any pictures of your mom's tobacco plant?
We can grow most tropical plants outside in summer. We just have to water them. Like tomatoes,sweat potatoes, and Chile peppers.

Virginia gold is a very tall strain. Grows about 6'-7' with suckering. What is your climate? You may need to grow burley vs flue cured.

We can grow most tropical plants outside in summer. We just have to water them. Like tomatoes,sweat potatoes, and Chile peppers.

Tobacco aint gonna like Colorado.
They like it hot and humid.
I'd plant some rustica if you want flowers. Be careful with it though as it's very high in nicotine. If you handle it much, and don't chew or smoke, you could get sick.

Reactions: Slash0311
I'd plant some rustica if you want flowers. Be careful with it though as it's very high in nicotine. If you handle it much, and don't chew or smoke, you could get sick.
It grows ok here from what I have seen. Not that ist going to yeild like would in the south, but I don't really care about that as I don't use tobacco anyway.

This has got to be one of the most informative threads I will see here this week. Following for more SHTF trade goods info...

Reactions: Trailgomer
Hot and dry.

Flue cured warm weather tobacco prefers sandy, loamy soil. High ratio NPK and roughly 50-80# of N per acre. Phosphorus 15# per acre, K 90# acre. pH at under 7 preferably 6.0-6.2 If pH is right Ca and Mg will be sufficient...if not it has to added. It can be a fine line...not enough N and poor leaf production, too much and you burn it up. If you are growing from seeds old school plant bed style it needs air circulation to prevent damping off. Easy way to get help is take a soil sample for your Ag extension agent/office, tell them what you are growing and they will tell you what to add per acre. Everybody here uses liquid fertilizer custom mixed and subsoil delivery after planting and preliminary application granular fertilizer/lime to get the field ready. Not sure about small garden setting approach but your Ag extension office ought to be able to help....or better yet get in touch with any ag extension office in the lowland South for advice. They are happy to help and will be more in tune with tobacco needs on a small scale. Pick any rural county from Harnett co. to the coast in NC. [email protected] is my local guy.

Reactions: oneshot86
For sure. I have a couple buddies that chew like its going out of style. Be fun to hand them a bag of homegrown on a fishing trip.

Curing and then preparing it for consumption is going to be your problem. When I was a young boy we would take cured out leaf out of the barns and cut in 4x4" squares. Then using a a hand screw press we would put a layer of leaf, brush on molasses/sugar and even caro syrup some times....another layer of tobacco or 2 and so on pressing it into a plug about 5/8" thick. Then sell it amongst the farm kids. Nothing like shake pouch tobacco but about as close as you can get on your own.

Curing and then preparing it for consumption is going to be your problem. When I was a young boy we would take cured out leaf out of the barns and cut in 4x4" squares. Then using a a hand screw press we would put a layer of leaf, brush on molasses/sugar and even caro syrup some times....another layer of tobacco or 2 and so on pressing it into a plug about 5/8" thick. Then sell it amongst the farm kids. Nothing like shake pouch tobacco but about as close as you can get on your own.
If its like anything else I'll dive in, spend a bunch of money and time on it to make it right and then not even use the shit.....Or I'll start chewing. The old lady will love that.

Bright and Burley tobacco make up the most percentage of cigarettes with a little Oriental added in. When it's growing in the field at about 5-6 feet tall you want to "top it". Snap off the flowery top part and it will fill out with larger leaves. In the summer be careful brushing up against the leaves. Nicotine will get absorbed through your skin and you will feel dizzy and nauseated...unless you smoke or chew.

Funny… I was looking at this myself. I think I’m going to add some seeds to my “seed bank”.

Here in Vt you can legally grow. Pot plants. But you are not allowed to grow tobacco without a state permit.

Makes me want to grow some for sure!

Sirhr
How's your grape orchard coming along? Mine started with well established grapes, but I am switching some because I want some seedless table grapes. I don't make wine and I don't need 100 pounds of grapes for jelly. LOL. Pretty crazy watching a lot of the stuff I have planted over the last 7 years start to mature.

20240405_122103.jpg
88.5 h6

Reading up some rustica or Aztec tobacco is interesting. It ties in well with something else I was thinking about which was using it to make grass hopper spray. My neighbor is irrigating his property now so I am plagued with grass hoppers. I want a physically large plant. I will probably end up with two kinds of tobacco seeds now.

Chickn likely knows more, being from around the U.S. Tobacco Co and all, but I believe tomatoes and tobacco have the same pests, but the pests like tobacky slightly more. Ive always thought planting tobacco around your maters would be an interesting experiment to see if you could use the tobacco as a decoy of sorts and spare the damatas.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
The old school variety we grew growing up was 326. Been a while but that was a big high yield flu cured for the area. Of course I was in the “old belt” so red clay soil mostly. Only downside to 326 was it’s vulnerable to black shank disease, if you’re only hobby farming that probably won’t be an issue. Again tho this was a looong time ago, been out of the farming business a bit haha.

Pretty sure I’m about to have a few hundred acres planted around me in the next couple of weeks. I can ask farmer a-hole what he is using. It is not 10 foot tall, but gets decently tall.

How's your grape orchard coming along? Mine started with well established grapes, but I am switching some because I want some seedless table grapes. I don't make wine and I don't need 100 pounds of grapes for jelly. LOL. Pretty crazy watching a lot of the stuff I have planted over the last 7 years start to mature.

Good. Produces a ton of grapes every year that I basically just give away. This place is perfect for them.

Tobacco is one of those 'interesting' things that would be fun to experiment with. Not because I want to grow it but if ever a barter economy becomes the way of things... it will be worth its weight in gold!

Sirhr

I am not looking to become a tobacco farmer or anything. I just like to try some new things each year.
It isn't my intention to derail your thread by any means sir but I'm just curious- should you be so inclined (it doesn't sound like you are), would you legally be able to grow weed in CO? Such a bizarre hodgepodge of state/federal laws on the topic anymore and I just was curious is all.

-LD

Good. Produces a ton of grapes every year that I basically just give away. This place is perfect for them.

Tobacco is one of those 'interesting' things that would be fun to experiment with. Not because I want to grow it but if ever a barter economy becomes the way of things... it will be worth its weight in gold!

Sirhr
That's where my interest kicks in, as a barter commodity.
Great topic

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Chickn likely knows more, being from around the U.S. Tobacco Co and all, but I believe tomatoes and tobacco have the same pests, but the pests like tobacky slightly more. Ive always thought planting tobacco around your maters would be an interesting experiment to see if you could use the tobacco as a decoy of sorts and spare the damatas.
Johnny......shhhhh....
No one wants to hear from some old asshole know-it-all.
This once I was trying to fly under the radar.
Let him plant his baccer in with his maters. Itll be "fun".
He should plant all his nightshade cousins together.

Reactions: johnnycat
Johnny......shhhhh....
Wait...are you suggesting that someone gave me bad info?

1712767831219.png

Next thing you know, you're going to tell me that Savage rifles are just as accurate as expensive custom rifles.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, sort of, I got into researching tobacco plants and varieties, growing, etc several years ago when I was active on one of the M14 forums - one of the guys there was tired of paying th taxes on cigarettes and wanted to experiment with growing his own. I learned a lot, and being the self-sufficient type I ordered some seeds to try it myself but never got around to actually growing. It's always in the back of my mind, but I dont have room in my yard for a tobacco stand.

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
You can start with as many or few plants as you want. 5 or 10 plants don't take up much room.

Recent transplant to NC. My wife heard about some idget that thought tobacco plants were kale or something of that sort. Grabbed a couple handfuls from a farmers field... wasn't the meal they were expecting LOL

Wait...are you suggesting that someone gave me bad info?

View attachment 8393349

Next thing you know, you're going to tell me that Savage rifles are just as accurate as expensive custom rifles.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, sort of, I got into researching tobacco plants and varieties, growing, etc several years ago when I was active on one of the M14 forums - one of the guys there was tired of paying th taxes on cigarettes and wanted to experiment with growing his own. I learned a lot, and being the self-sufficient type I ordered some seeds to try it myself but never got around to actually growing. It's always in the back of my mind, but I dont have room in my yard for a tobacco stand.

I was referring to myself as the asshole know it all....just for clarification.
Yes...I come from a very long line of Eastern NC tobacco farmers...numerous generations.
This is your fault Johnny....😁

I use tobacco in smokeless form. I have not bought any heavily taxed "product" in going on 3 years now. A can of snuff that rivals the best Kodiak or Cope costs me about 25cents a can, not paying me for my time.
Properly aged and cured tobacco is no more carcinogenic than anything you have in you food pantry.
No I do not grow my own, its simply too big a pain in the ass. Yes, I could grow it. I grew a nice crop of burley back in '05. Unfortunately, I did not have the knowledge I possess now on curing and aging to a finished product.

To my reference on companion planting....its kind of a mean nasty old man that I am...joke. A bad awful practical joke.
Lemme splain.
I won't handle tomato plants, seeds, etc if I'm chewing or have handled a tobacco product.
Same goes for any nightshade plant including but not limited to eggplant, potato, tomatillo, etc.
They share the same diseases, and tobacco products are notorious "carriers".
Last thing you want is mosaic blight running through your garden. Among a host of other nasties.
Hornworms aka "baccer worms", they are gonna be around maters and tobacco and other nightshade. They aren't particularly difficult to kill, but they will wipe out your crop if you don't get them quick.

Plant you some baccer, good luck.
Keep it away from your other nightshade.

Again, careful how you handle the stuff, if you don't use nicotine.
If you suckered tobacco back in the day, you had to use nicotine or get sick as hell.

I was referring to myself as the asshole know it all....just for clarification.
Yes...I come from a very long line of Eastern NC tobacco farmers...numerous generations.
This is your fault Johnny....😁

I use tobacco in smokeless form. I have not bought any heavily taxed "product" in going on 3 years now. A can of snuff that rivals the best Kodiak or Cope costs me about 25cents a can, not paying me for my time.
Properly aged and cured tobacco is no more carcinogenic than anything you have in you food pantry.
No I do not grow my own, its simply too big a pain in the ass. Yes, I could grow it. I grew a nice crop of burley back in '05. Unfortunately, I did not have the knowledge I possess now on curing and aging to a finished product.

To my reference on companion planting....its kind of a mean nasty old man that I am...joke. A bad awful practical joke.
Lemme splain.
I won't handle tomato plants, seeds, etc if I'm chewing or have handled a tobacco product.
Same goes for any nightshade plant including but not limited to eggplant, potato, tomatillo, etc.
They share the same diseases, and tobacco products are notorious "carriers".
Last thing you want is mosaic blight running through your garden. Among a host of other nasties.
Hornworms aka "baccer worms", they are gonna be around maters and tobacco and other nightshade. They aren't particularly difficult to kill, but they will wipe out your crop if you don't get them quick.

Plant you some baccer, good luck.
Keep it away from your other nightshade.

Again, careful how you handle the stuff, if you don't use nicotine.
If you suckered tobacco back in the day, you had to use nicotine or get sick as hell.
You shoot handgun AND you know something about Tobacco ? :unsure:;)

No country for old men, anton.gif

Tennessee 90 tobacco is what I raised for years and years, you dont want it to get 10 feet tall, you will want to break the “tops” out before the plant flowers. then all the growth goes into leaf production, heavier longer leaves instead of seed production.

Johnny......shhhhh....
Some peopel get all worried about planting their night shades next to each other. Then to "space them out" they move them 10ft and put another member of the solanacea family the pepper in between them and plant petunias for the polenators. 🤣🤣🤣

About the only thing I worry about is not planting potatoes in the same bed more than 2 years in a row. Well not the only thing. But for annual vegetables.

Reactions: johnnycat