• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Today's Field Test of a TBAC 22S-1

300ATT

Induna
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Denver CO
I thought I would share today’s TBAC 22S-1 test results in hopes of benefiting the rest of the “Hiders” out there.

The test rifle is a Sako Finnfire Range that was re-crowned and threaded by Adam at MileHigh Shooting to accept the suppressor. He did a phenomenal job and you have to get really close to tell that the barrel is not quite factory stock; it is a work of art.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with a mil-dot reticle:

SakeFinnfireRange.jpg

Sakowthreads.jpg

SakowTBAC.jpg

Test procedure: shoot two 4-shot groups of various types of hunting (Not Target) ammo, the first group through the TBAC 22S-1 and the second with it removed at 50yds off a bench w/ sandbags. The spotters are 1” spotters.

sako50ydtbactest.jpg

Group #1 Wincherster HV bulk ammo – approx. 1” POI shift straight up w/suppressor group size about the same.

Group #2 Winchester X 40gr hollow point – approx. 1.5” shift straight up w/suppressor accuracy (precision) MUCH better with the suppressor on.

At this point it was bugging me that the gun was not quite centered up so I moved to spotter #4 and shot some more Winchester X 40gr hollow points to better sight it in. (Of course I way over corrected – see the shot out left). I then made an adjustment and shot a 3-shot group and with and w/o the suppressor on … a consistent POI shift as was shot in #2 (which is what we all hope for.)

Group #3 Winchester X hyper speed (1,435 FPS) hollow points – approx. 1” straight up POI shift with the suppressor on, precision MUCH worse with the suppressor on.

Group #5 CCI Mini Mag 1,235 FPS – ½” POI shift straight up, precision about the same.

Lessons learned:

1. The performance with the TBAC exceeded my expectations. I am impressed with the POI shift consistency of the TBAC – it is always straight up but varies, as I would expect, between ammo brands.

2. Your precision will be affected with the suppressor (at least my .22). In some cases it will greatly improve and in some cases it will decrease the precision of the rifle. You have to test.

3. Note: I also tested Remington Subsonic and Federal American Eagle the previous day and in both cases the TBAC greatly improved the precision. The American Eagle shot better than the small group in #3!

Issues:

There may be an issue where it takes one shot to “warm the suppressor up” before things settle down. This seems to be true with the Winchester X ammo. I also notice that first shot out of my SIG Mosquito with this suppressor is always louder than the following shots. Has any other TBAC 22 owners out there experienced something similar? A lot more testing is required before I can confirm this.

If I get time I will do another test at 100 yards at an indoor range with Match ammo.

Thanks to the great folks at MileHigh shooting and the TBAC crew for making this so much more fun …

Re: Today's Field Test of a TBAC 22S-1

What type of baffle design?
It's not marked as Helical, like the centerfire calibers.

Now that I have seen those, who wants to buy a aac element? LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also notice that first shot out of my SIG Mosquito with this suppressor is always louder than the following shots. Has any other TBAC 22 owners out there experienced something similar </div></div>

I am running the 22L-1 so basically the same just a touch longer and even from the very first round I ever fired through it, I experience no first round pop. TBAC cans are top shelf in my book and a lot of others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also notice that first shot out of my SIG Mosquito with this suppressor is always louder than the following shots. Has any other TBAC 22 owners out there experienced something similar </div></div>

I am running the 22L-1 so basically the same just a touch longer and even from the very first round I ever fired through it, I experience no first round pop. TBAC cans are top shelf in my book and a lot of others. </div></div>

I like to hear this as I have a 22 long in pergatory right now. Great review OP, not too many write-ups on TBAC 22 cans out there.

Thanks!

The "L", is the choice if you don't want frp and are willing to have a longer can, it's also better suited for the .17hmr or .22 mag.

The "S", is the same as the "L", minus two baffles. Its designed for those that want a smaller package. Frp can be negated when run "wet".

Hey Shane,

"Frp" - first time I had heard of this one ... Dang. Not sure I want to run it wet, would hate the blowback into that rifle.

Do you guys offer a trade-in program?

No worries, this 22S seems to work pretty well.

First round pop is common, it happens when unburned propellant from the first shot re-ignites inside the silencer due to the presence of oxygen in the can. That consumes the available oxygen and subsequent shots are quieter.

What you experience is first round pop which is quite normal.

This is at 50 yards right?

Doesn't come close to doing it for me. #3 tells me everything I need to know about this can and I like TBAC products. Maybe its the rifle or the shooter, I see a struggle to get it done without a can let alone with a can. I shoot these brand bullets regularly with and without suppression regularly.

The one time the operator gets it together, we see this?
12 high is good, got that, but the spread?

sako50ydtbactest_zpse941b4f6.jpg

You tell me how this is a good thing.

Not trying to piss folks off, but this is 50 yards? Right? 50 yards? #1, #2, #3, #4 Not good.

Next time, 5 rounds, not 4 please.

Here is a subsonic cheap ammo .22 (subsonics are tougher to group at range) at 50% farther than those shown. Stone cold 1st round barrel/can. Can make is immaterial in this discussion.

1ST-LOW_zpsa9a782d9.jpg

The rifle seems to have ammo sensitivity that you can see in the <span style="text-decoration: underline">unsuppressed</span> groups; they vary in size quite a bit. The suppressor is making some ammo types group better and some group worse.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I also tested Remington Subsonic and Federal American Eagle the previous day and in both cases the TBAC greatly improved the precision. The American Eagle shot <span style="text-decoration: underline">better than the small group in #3!</span>"</span>

Moral of story: shoot the "right" ammo in .22LR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> who gives half a FUCK if it's a 4 shot group, 3 shot group, 5 shot group, or 1000 shot group!??!?!?!

3 shots = validated.
4 shos = 1 to grow on
5 shots = excess </div></div>

Because that is what is written in the super secret super sniper code of lead slinging.... duh.....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle seems to have ammo sensitivity that you can see in the <span style="text-decoration: underline">unsuppressed</span> groups; they vary in size quite a bit. The suppressor is making some ammo types group better and some group worse.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I also tested Remington Subsonic and Federal American Eagle the previous day and in both cases the TBAC greatly improved the precision. The American Eagle shot <span style="text-decoration: underline">better than the small group in #3!</span>"</span>

Moral of story: shoot the "right" ammo in .22LR

</div></div>

Agree with that wholeheartedly.

GRS and 3D, here you two go...here is the "who" that "gives 1/2 a F#CK"

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=779308

Besides the super secret super sniper code of lead slinging is one shot followed by a karate chop.

Bang, Chop.

Beautiful rifle by the way.

You could try target/match-grade and standard velocity ammo and see if there are any drastic group size changes and shifts due to standard deviation, extreme spread, and harmonics differences.

Nobody's going to win Camp Perry or the Olympics with bulk-box ammo. It won't make any difference on prairie dogs, chipmunks, and bunnies.

Well this is interesting,

I was away for a while and did not know that this post would ruffle feathers so let me respond to the recent thread participants (in reverse order):

Sinister:

Thank you. It is a beautiful rifle. I am truly blessed in, spite of my efforts.

3DHUSKER, GSRswapsandlow and RollingThunder51:

How many shots does a group make?

The answer is: As many as necessary for you to prove to yourself that the rifle/sight/ammo/shooter combination will perform as expected and within the precision limits needed to get the job done:

Deer Hunting: I shoot 2 or sometimes 3-shot groups to prove that the gun/ammo deliver a single cold bore shot centered up exactly 2” high at 100 yards. Where does a second shot go shot within 2 seconds?

Long (square) range: I shoot 22-shot groups at a 600 yard reduced target off a bipod at 200 yards to see if the gun and ammo will hold the 1” X ring through all the heat build up. If it does, I know a shot high and right in a Palma match at 800, 900 or 1,000 yards probably wasn’t the gun’s fault.

Load development: usually I start with a 9-shot ladder test over a chrono and then refine it with 2 or 3 6-shot groups.

I know some L.E. riflemen that shoot “1-shot groups”. They pull the assigned rifle out of the case, get into position and wait and wait and wait and wait some more then shoot one round of Hornday TAP or Sierra GMM to verify that they can still hit within ½” of the POA called out at 100 yards.

I get such a kick out of all those on this forum that rant about how special 5-shot groups are. If 5 shot groups are so special why not shoot six or seven or even 10 rounds downrange? Sometimes I wonder if these members wouldn’t find more joy and fulfillment on 6mmbr.com and have more fun with the benchrest shooters … those guys shoot some really nice 5-shot groups.

Zak:

As you know, all guns are sensitive to the ammo that you feed them. With 22’s you are stuck with what you can buy. In this case I wasn’t looking for the ammo that would produce one-hole groups. I was trying to understand general POI shifts introduced by the suppressor while hastily looking for ammo that would best hold “minute of prairie dog” out to 175-200 yards and produce the most exciting terminal effects.

Rollingthunder51:

I’m sorry you were disappointed in the performance of the gun/suppressor/ammo/shooter combination originally posted. As I mentioned earlier, the purpose of the test was not to find a suitable combo to shoot a small bore match but to test a bunch of bulk hunting ammo and get an initial understanding of what POI shift the suppressor would introduce across a range of bulk hunting ammo for a guided prairie dog hunt. Perhaps my mistake was not being clear on this.

To help everyone feel better, here are some more groups all shot with the SAKO through the TBAC at 50 and 100 yards with better ammo. Yes, all groups are at least five shots, one is six because I had to prove to myself that it was me and not the gun that muffed the group. The ten-shot group is with Winchester super-X hollow points at 1,460 fps. The group is .75” edge to edge but there are seven shots that are less than .2” center to center. So do I get hung up on blowing three shots out of that ten-shot group? Not really as it more than meets the precision requirements to get the job done:

MatchThroughTBAC.jpg

This long post does have a happy ending. I LOVE the TBAC 22-S. My friends LOVE the TBAC and are jealous. It has a consistent straight up POI shift for all ammo types.

My sons and I were shooting pop cans with this rifle and the TBAC at our farm in Idaho when I spotted this offending varmint out about 175 yards in the “No Dig Zone”. No problem, hold two mildots high on his shoulder … squeeze, “Snap …. WOP!, thud.” Right through the heart…

BearLakeChuck.jpg

If you like that, all I can say is there is nothing quite like the sound of a 95gr 6.5 mm VMAX bullet passing though a TBAC 30-P at 3,400fps and hitting a prairie dog 200 yards away. You will smile so wide it will bring tears to your eyes!

BlaserTBAC.jpg

My only regret is that I did not get the longer version of the TBAC to use with a .17 … Dang.

Good shooting …

PS: the POI shift with the 95gr VMAX through the 30-P is .3 Mils straight up at 100 yards. Accuracy/precision is the same.

2 shots make a group to me so you were wasting ammo.
smile.gif

But then again thats not the consensus of the super sniping lead slinging group. Its law because they say so.
smile.gif
That was my point.

3DHUSKER, Good point.

Obviously, the groups that I originally posted were not anything to brag about. What excited me was the consistent straight up POI shift not that some bulk ammo would shoot worse at 50 yards with the suppressor.

I was just trying to help out the community with my real world results.

So FWIW on this rifle:

1.) The TBAC is has a consistent straight up POI shift across a very broad range of ammo.

2.) Adding the suppressor does affect POI and in many cases the group sizes - especially with bulk hunting ammo - you have to test.

3.) With respect to match ammo, the TBAC did not make a difference or negatively impact the inherent accuracy of the test rifle. Eley, Fiocci and FGMM shoot great in the rifle and I proved that the gun shoots better than I can with match ammo with or without the suppressor.

Good shooting ...

I have a CZ 22 that will shoot sub MOA at 100 with our 22L-1 with Rem subs and the Winchester 40gr Power Points.
Good shooting. Glad you like the can.