• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Today's MARS match kicked my rear end!

mikeshaw2

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2022
NoVA for now
Anyone else have 'one of those days?' Shot decently yesterday at the QSC match, but the wheels fell off today.

Lots of 'not getting into a stable position' and lots of timing out.

Aah well. S'what happens when you're learning

M

Reactions: obx22
Shot my first one a couple weeks ago, kicked my ass too. I think leaving my zoom at 20x was a mistake, live and learn. Going to my second MARS match next Sunday.

I shot my very first one today. Score wise, pretty sad. But, I had a great time and it certainly wasn’t my last!

Reactions: Cowpokey
There was a guy with a bone stock Ruger 10/22 with a boat paddle plastic stock that finished in the top 1/3 that day. It's the Indian, not the equipment. Keep having fun, and improve yourself, don't worry about much else. Nobody cares about your score, but you. Unless you're one of the top shooters, then folks will be watching you to learn and make adjustments to help their techniques.

When I first started doing Rimfire Challenge (3 years ago?), I went about it the same way...have fun, don't finish in last, learn, and improve. I met those goals my first match, and quickly got into the the top 1/3 every match, in a very competitive environment. I've shot with/against some of the best in the game, which helped increase my skill level pretty fast.

I don't know if I'll ever finish on the podium, likelyhood is small, but I will keep at it. 😎

Shot my first one a couple weeks ago, kicked my ass too. I think leaving my zoom at 20x was a mistake, live and learn. Going to my second MARS match next Sunday.
I tried that the first time(s) too. Try backing out to 12x or so.

That 12x gave me fewer 'where'd the target go?!' moments. Didn't eliminate them, but it reduced them.

One stage was shot from a hanging web ladder. Talk about not being able to build a stable position! I was all over the place. Zero-d that one. The other one I got a goose egg on was kneeling with no support bags. Guess I need to practice without bags/supports too!

M

I’ve shot some long range steel matches with my .22 Bench Rest, but that’s the only competitive rifle shooting I’ve done.
I walked away with a whole new perspective on guns, optics, and gear.
My 7lb.all up Ruger American Rimfire felt 4 or 5 lbs. too light all day. The trigger on it is actually decent (1.5lb), but a bit mushy. I was missing my 18lb. BR w/17oz. Triggertech.
I can’t complain too much about the little 4-14 Athlon Talos, the reticle was good and glass was clear enough. 10x-12x was really all I wanted due to FOV. I was wishing for 10mil turrets and a zero stop.
The Ruger’s an okay little rifle (accuracy ain’t great), but it’ll get turned into a T1X when I run up on one, and eventually dropped into a Bravo (what I have on my .22BR).
The biggest challenge was the mental aspect of that kind of competition. I didn’t realize how much was going on with to have to keep up with!!!

I thought it was a fun match..I will say when I threw the gun down on the cargo net..I was like what in the hell? haha! I hit 3..I hit 3 on the kneeling stage to and my wobble was about the same on both..I really want to get a target cam to go back after the match and see what I did wrong..I ran the whole match but the KYL on 16x.

Happens to me all the time!!! I win a 22PRS match then the next day I end up 5th or 6th. I did have the environmentals locked in the Kestrel from the prior day🤦‍♂️. That'll mess up your DOPE😳 Or the match director intentionally writes course of fire to handicap Southpaws.

Happens to me all the time!!! I win a 22PRS match then the next day I end up 5th or 6th. I did have the environmentals locked in the Kestrel from the prior day🤦‍♂️. That'll mess up your DOPE😳 Or the match director intentionally writes course of fire to handicap Southpaws.
I've only been to one match so far, but the MD sent out an email after the fact saying something to the effect: "new shooters, don't be discouraged by the stages today, they aren't always that salty". It was definitely challenging. Probably part of the learning curve joining the PRS game after it's been around for a while...they have to make the stages tough for the experienced competitors, or it would be boring for them. Us newbs will just have to deal with it, which is fine, still crazy fun.

I thought it was a fun match..I will say when I threw the gun down on the cargo net..I was like what in the hell? haha! I hit 3..I hit 3 on the kneeling stage to and my wobble was about the same on both..I really want to get a target cam to go back after the match and see what I did wrong..I ran the whole match but the KYL on 16x.
I bumped up to 15x for a bit, then came back down to 12x.

For some reason, I couldn't get past the 4th target on the KYL stage or do much with the snake stage.

How'd you do on the crab stage with the two buckets?

M

I've only been to one match so far, but the MD sent out an email after the fact saying something to the effect: "new shooters, don't be discouraged by the stages today, they aren't always that salty". It was definitely challenging. Probably part of the learning curve joining the PRS game after it's been around for a while...they have to make the stages tough for the experienced competitors, or it would be boring for them. Us newbs will just have to deal with it, which is fine, still crazy fun.
Tony was saying 'easy match today boys!' ...which I disagreed with after seeing some of the stages. Mebbe not as complicated as some matches, but deceptively difficult for me.

M

Tony was saying 'easy match today boys!' ...which I disagreed with after seeing some of the stages. Mebbe not as complicated as some matches, but deceptively difficult for me.

M
It is easy when you write the COF and practice on the props used on a regular basis. PRS won't let the MD or anyone who wrote the COF shoot their own match because of the competitive advantage .

It is easy when you write the COF and practice on the props used on a regular basis. PRS won't let the MD or anyone who wrote the COF shoot their own match because of the competitive advantage .
Makes sense. MARS doesn't do that.

M

I bumped up to 15x for a bit, then came back down to 12x.

For some reason, I couldn't get past the 4th target on the KYL stage or do much with the snake stage.

How'd you do on the crab stage with the two buckets?

M
I actually had a really good day for me. I came in second. I got a 10 on that one. I took a guess and just went plate on the lower bucket and it was like shooting prone. I missed because I was impatient and didn’t wait for the target to stop moving. I then decided to throw the next shot on the high bucket so I could get back to the low bucket. Once back there I was able finished it off. On the kyl I needed the extra power to see the last target, it was kind of hiding in the grass..I could barley see just the edge of it and I had to hold left edge. I was helped a lot by there being little to no wind. I need a lot help and practice on wind calls if I am going to get better.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I actually had a really good day for me. I came in second. I got a 10 on that one. I took a guess and just went plate on the lower bucket and it was like shooting prone. I missed because I was impatient and didn’t wait for the target to stop moving. I then decided to throw the next shot on the high bucket so I could get back to the low bucket. Once back there I was able finished it off. On the kyl I needed the extra power to see the last target, it was kind of hiding in the grass..I could barley see just the edge of it and I had to hold left edge. I was helped a lot by there being little to no wind. I need a lot help and practice on wind calls if I am going to get better.
I watched one of the guys in front of me doing that and it made more sense than trying to kneel or anything else. I still managed to miss a few, but did all right (for me)

Goal for the next match is 4-5 hits/stage. ...which is 3-4 hits/stage above where I started over the winter

One of these days I'll figure this stuff out, but it wasn't Sunday

M

Isn’t NVGC PRS and Mars?

Tony does not practice on the props. I can tell you that for fact so no need to start spreading bullshit. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BisSilent
He doesn't write the COF either I'm sure🤣
I didn't say that. Of course he does. He's the MD. But seeing as he goes many other places and kicks people's asses I don't think that is giving him the advantage you are trying to make it look like it does.

Reactions: Gleedus
I didn't say that. Of course he does. He's the MD. But seeing as he goes many other places and kicks people's asses I don't think that is giving him the advantage you are trying to make it look like it does.
I know y'all are buddies and Tony is a great shooter but, MD shouldn't shoot their own matches for score!! You know good and well if you write the COF set the targets up and it is a memory COF with out of order targets it is a HUGE competitive advantage...there is no arguing that!!!

Just the truth🤔

I know y'all are buddies and Tony is a great shooter but, MD shouldn't shoot their own matches for score!! You know good and well if you write the COF set the targets up and it is a memory COF with out of order targets it is a HUGE competitive advantage...there is no arguing that!!!

Just the truth🤔
So one memory stage is what you are worried about? LOL Usually those are random anyways. It's not something you can plan or remember. Not to mention they are far from the norm at matches. Everyone gets the match book. Writing and doing the work to set up if anything would make it harder as you have to do everything and not just print a page and show up. Not like any of these stages are overly difficult to game.

So one memory stage is what you are worried about? LOL Usually those are random anyways. It's not something you can plan or remember. Not to mention they are far from the norm at matches. Everyone gets the match book. Writing and doing the work to set up if anything would make it harder as you have to do everything and not just print a page and show up. Not like any of these stages are overly difficult to game.
Keep living in your dream world🤣 Look forward to shooting with you next weekend at Frontline Defense!!

Keep living in your dream world🤣 Look forward to shooting with you next weekend at Frontline Defense!!
Far from a dream world. More like real world but I will let Tony's performance at every other match tell the real tale. ;)

Far from a dream world. More like real world but I will let Tony's performance at every other match tell the real tale. ;)
I let my performance at matches tell the real tell too😉

Tony already has his 400 points so he is good. He just likes to go and win for fun. Won that last match with a semi auto. Plans to get his 400 in that too.

Reactions: Bluegrassvw
Bass you can write every COF you want. I’d still beat you.

Your lover wrote half of the NVGC matches last year as well as Dec And Jan I had nothing to do with them or the setup. Oh guess what I won them.

It’s the Indian pal.

You beat me maybe once or twice a year. Which is me having a bad day and you stepping in shit getting lucky and finally stringing a good match together. . I have won more matches in one month than you have won in any full season.

I never practice. I write challenging COF and set up match the day before. Half the time we are pulling props out the morning of and I even let random shooters pick the shooting spots, as I am setting up the morning of the match, just so babies like you won’t have some lame excuse for getting taken to gapplebees.

Next months props were all picked by shooters at the match.

We had an enjoyable time the last few matches with out your belly aching and crying.

Run your wrong handed bolt more and your mouth less
Grow up,

They ran you out of USPSA for being a crybaby and poor sport and I am sure the same thing will happen with rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: BisSilent
Bass you can write every COF you want. I’d still beat you.

Your lover wrote half of the NVGC matches last year as well as Dec And Jan I had nothing to do with them or the setup. Oh guess what I won them.

It’s the Indian pal.

You beat me maybe once or twice a year. Which is me having a bad day and you stepping in shit getting lucky and finally stringing a good match together. . I have won more matches in one month than you have won in any full season.

I never practice. I write challenging COF and set up match the day before. Half the time we are pulling props out the morning of and I even let random shooters pick the shooting spots, as I am setting up the morning of the match, just so babies like you won’t have some lame excuse for getting taken to gapplebees.

Next months props were all picked by shooters at the match.

We had an enjoyable time the last few matches with out your belly aching and crying.

Run your wrong handed bolt more and your mouth less
Grow up,

They ran you out of USPSA for being a crybaby and poor sport and I am sure the same thing will happen with rifle.
Tony,
The above is a perfect example of why you shouldn't be the mouthpiece of MARS. It is a wonderful concept that Dave created. I hope you don't ruin it. I will see you at matches and hold no ill will. Don't let it bother you too bad when a rookie Southpaw beats you.

Like I did in USPSA....if you remember I was shooting a Limited pistol and you were shooting a PCC (A rifle at a pistol match)❤️❤️❤️

It’s jealous shooters like yourself that continue to ruin shooting sports and organizations. All your childish petty comments on random MARS club pages were all reported to me.

If you don’t think people see, hear and report how petty and childish you are acting, then your delusional.

You also must be really bored and have a hard on for me, that you spend that much time making troll posts like a 13 year old.
If you have something to say you have multiple ways to easily reach me.

MARS is doing amazing and will continue to do amazing with or without you.

We have rules that MD’s and shooters will follow to maintain a level and fair playing field for every shooter. The staff won’t condone or allow clubs or shooters who lie, cheat, or falsify match results to tarnish what we are doing as a organization.

Last edited:
I don’t know Tony personally (I’m brand new to this game) but I do know for a fact being a MD and setting up stages does in fact NOT give you an advantage. Often times it’s a detriment to your game. Constantly having to answer everyone’s questions and be concerned w RO duties scoring calling hits and match flow. Not to mention the extra set up duties to worry about the morning of the match. Where as everyone else just shows up gets their dope and decides the best way to tackle each stage. I have set up tons of USPSA 3G and even 3 rimfire matches ….. I always shoot worse when I can’t 100% focus on the task at hand. Looking forward to shooting Chris Simmons’ Positional Punisher and learning this Saturday.

Reactions: Gleedus and Rob01
I don’t know Tony personally (I’m brand new to this game) but I do know for a fact being a MD and setting up stages does in fact NOT give you an advantage. Often times it’s a detriment to your game. Constantly having to answer everyone’s questions and be concerned w RO duties scoring calling hits and match flow. Not to mention the extra set up duties to worry about the morning of the match. Where as everyone else just shows up gets their dope and decides the best way to tackle each stage. I have set up tons of USPSA 3G and even 3 rimfire matches ….. I always shoot worse when I can’t 100% focus on the task at hand. Looking forward to shooting Chris Simmons’ Positional Punisher and learning this Saturday.
sounds fun, but it's a bit far for me

Knock em dead, Killer!

M

Tony does not practice on the props. I can tell you that for fact so no need to start spreading bullshit. ;)

This always comes up every year or so.

To prove a point I’ve let people come practice every single stage before. Have let others write the cof and let people practice, etc etc.

Same people win. It’s apparently voodoo and magic.

Interestingly, the same people who complain about that complained about mulligans and other such stuff. Again, must be voodoo.

This is also why I stopped running matches.

I shot far, far less when running a local series and had to put up with complaints that were just absolutely ridiculous.

.....so babies like you won’t have some lame excuse for getting taken to gapplebees.
Damn Tony, or should I say "Brandon" with the fake news🤣

out of the 5 22PRS matches we have shot together guess who has come out on top (won) more???? That's correct, ME(3 outta 5)😉 2 came down to the tie-breaker and I won both of those.

I've attached our 22PRS (the premier 22lr shooting sanctioning body) records for this seasons.

Scott Bass

Screenshot_20220519-082054_Chrome.jpg

Tony Gimmellie

Screenshot_20220519-082226_Chrome.jpg

I do enjoy the banter on the Range and off!!!! Hope to see you down at Frontline Defense next weekend.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mrbigballs85
Today's MARS match in York, PA was a lot of fun. There was a 170 yard KYL (7"-2") that I got a ZERO on...spotter said I was shooting a tick high and right every shot. There was a 180 yard stage (4" bars) that I did "ok" on, so not sure what happened on the KYL...a 7" target is pretty big to miss with twelve flippin' shots. One thing for certain, I left room for improvement. :ROFLMAO:

Getting the rundown from Tony on York now as he drives home. Have shot those bars in a centerfire match and they are interesting.

Today's MARS match in York, PA was a lot of fun. There was a 170 yard KYL (7"-2") that I got a ZERO on...spotter said I was shooting a tick high and right every shot. There was a 180 yard stage (4" bars) that I did "ok" on, so not sure what happened on the KYL...a 7" target is pretty big to miss with twelve flippin' shots. One thing for certain, I left room for improvement. :ROFLMAO:
welcome to my world. One day I was shooting straight. The next? Miss, miss, miss...

...but no matter how much smack I talk to Tony, I keep going back and keep trying to improve.

M

welcome to my world. One day I was shooting straight. The next? Miss, miss, miss...

...but no matter how much smack I talk to Tony, I keep going back and keep trying to improve.

M
I'm going to need to go to a lot more matches...hopefully I'll start to suck less. I'm only in it get better and have fun...doubt I'll be challenging for the podium any time soon.

I'm going to need to go to a lot more matches...hopefully I'll start to suck less. I'm only in it get better and have fun...doubt I'll be challenging for the podium any time soon.
I'm trying to not be last. Still.

I'm lucky in that QSC and NVGC both put on matches within an hour of me

M