• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tomahawk talk to me.

I have been researching tomahawks for a while now, and probably read about everyone you can think of. The price point seems to be the deciding factor for most people The RMJ Shrike seems to be a perennial favorite but if you are like me and can't part with $500 there are some really great options in the under $200 range.

For me,, after much deliberation, I finally went with the Gerber Downrange. I felt that it had the most practical applications: demo, extraction, cutting, breaching. It may not look as pretty or as wicked as some of the others, but I won't need it in a combat situation or (god forbid) a defense situation.

J

Like many have recommended in the past, I bought an RMJ for my trips to Iraq and Afghanistan, and still carry it on my sniper pack while on duty. I've have to use it a few times on vehicle windows and hide positions. Get which ever one works for you, it's a great tool to have.

I too will suggest the Halligan / Hooligan tool.

Borrow a friends wimpy little tomahawk and try breaching a solid core door, a masonry wall, popping a lock or hasp off or opening a jammed car door or try to cut through the hood of the car.

It just doesn't have the MASS and you have to provide the ASS.

A Halligan / Hooligan is THE AWESOME. Sure it doesn't look so 'spiffy' but it also doesn't scream NEVER WORKED OUT YOUR FOREARMS! trying to whittle open a solid core door or beating on somebody's car to "save the children".

I thought about carrying a tomahawk on deployments too, but then I found a titanium crowbar. Lighter than aluminum, stronger than steel & non-sparking.

~Will

Cop with a tomahawk? Wow.

I already giggle enough when I see you guys in your single color BDU's and leg rigs.

A tomahawk would take this to a whole different level.

I've been a big city cop for a decade now, and I've seen all kinds of equipment come and go from the trunks of officers' cars over the years. I've yet to find a need or use for a tomahawk in law enforcement, other than guys wanting one because they look cool. At least in my environment there would be very little justifiable use for such a tool.

Removing locks? Bolt cutters work better. Breaching doors? There are far better tools out there for this purpose. A defensive weapon? You're going to have a hell of a time explaining that one to your department's brass, so maybe you should just buy a backup gun. A tool for use in natural disasters? Eh, maybe… but at that point you'd be better off carrying some first aid supplies, a chain saw, some tow chains, etc.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, and clearly a few of you guys like these tools. But, I just have to laugh at some of the shit people carry on this job.